ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Vacation Dilemma

Ok... I have a dilemma that I'm sure some of you have faced before. This september, I'm going on vacation to Italy and Greece for a couple of weeks. There's no way I'm going without a camera. But I don't think I want to lug around my prime gear, and possibly ruin the vacation worring about the equipment (and worrying about ticking off the wife). My other option would be to purchase a P&S camera to take. I would hate to sacrafice too much functionality, so I was thinking along the lines of something like the Canon Pro 1. Obviously the downside to this would be putting the money into a P&S camera that I could be putting into a new lens that I would like to have. What would you do?

- Aaron

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Get a Holga!

Okay - I'm being facetious.
    I actually don't know what I would do, being the un-gearhead, but I can recommend an excellent P&S. I've used my Olympus Stylus for a few years now, and I've gotten great results from it. However, I do not have the version with the zoom lens. I'm sort of jonesing for the digital Stylus right now....

Anyway - here are some examples from the Stylus.

New Orleans is pretty cool too!

You might actually really start to dig a P&S once you've got one - it's light and small; I carry my Stylus with me *everywhere*, and living in NYC, have captured some pretty pivotal events with it.

Have a blast!

Megan

Buy a used Canon G2

Awesome digital P&S and you can probably pick one up for around $300.

Mike

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by back_packn
    Ok... I have a dilemma that I'm sure some of you have faced before. This september, I'm going on vacation to Italy and Greece for a couple of weeks. There's no way I'm going without a camera. But I don't think I want to lug around my prime gear, and possibly ruin the vacation worring about the equipment (and worrying about ticking off the wife). My other option would be to purchase a P&S camera to take. I would hate to sacrafice too much functionality, so I was thinking along the lines of something like the Canon Pro 1. Obviously the downside to this would be putting the money into a P&S camera that I could be putting into a new lens that I would like to have. What would you do?
    When I don't want to carry something large, I take my Canon S400. This is an excellent P&S camera that produces great images.

The other choice would be to strip down that prime gear to one camera with one lens. I use to use a Rebel 2000 and the 28-135 IS lens. That fantastic combination got almost every shot I could imagine. As soon as I get some money, I'll be looking for a similiar "travel" lens in the same range for my digital Rebel.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

I agree with Mike in that a small SLR with a lens in that range would cover most of your needs. The Pro 1 you mention is more than a p&s digicam and not at all cheap, so I'd suggest going the SLR route or getting a smaller digicam for less $$.

in agreement with Charles and Mike

that a single lense and your regular camera would be good---

plus who wants to be fiddling with a new camera during such an awesome vacation.... being one who OFTEN annoys my hubby with my photo needs...think family- think unstressed...think simple...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information