ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Upcoming Wedding

A buddy of mine is getting married on December 3rd, and he's asked me to shoot the reception for him.

Since he and his fiance are working on a shoestring budget, they're getting married by a justice of the peace in the morning and are having a small lunch reception for family and friends at a restaurant in the afternoon.

I'm really nervous about this because I've never shot an event like this before. I feel bad that he couldn't afford to hire a professional, so I really want to give him some photos that are as professional as I can get them and not some snapshots that anyone could've done.

There's a wealth of talent and experience here, so I wanted to ask for some advice, or maybe some of you could throw some tricks of the trade at me, or anything really. Any help I can get would be most appreciated.

I shoot with a Nikon D50. I'm planning to bring my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, SB800 speedlight, and my Lensbaby 2.0 in case I feel extra creative.

Nikon Samurai #25

~~Tools of the Trade~~
    Nikon D50
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
    50mm f/1.8D AF
    28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF AF
    Lensbaby 2.0
    Kodak Duaflex II

~~Stillsky Studio~~

Re: Upcoming Wedding

Just relax and do the best you can. The thing to remember is the couple and families involved will be more stressed than you.I feel this would be an easier shoot than an elaborate wedding.
    September of this year my niece got married and I was back up photog. for my brother, and I hadn't really shot since 01. Yes I was nervous, just get behind your glass and get some great shots.
    Here is a shot from her wedding.
    Jimmy B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upcoming Wedding-lf3z0095_1.jpg  

Good luck! Charge your batteries! Remain calm! No pressure bud, just think of there history,it starts with your pictures,if they are lucky,thirty years from now you'll all be at a big anniversary party,looking back at the beginning,which you helped preserve.
    Steve B.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Oh boy!

Receptions are typically very dark. I'm not sure what the lighting will be for yours, but I usually use a combination of 1.8/2.8 L Lens for weddings & receptions. We also use battery packs for faster recycling times on multiple hot-shoe flashes, as there can be non-stop action all around, and always have backups. Its all about the lighting, and we use multiple flashes for wonderful and eye-catching bi-directional lighting. We even may use a video light or a 'deer' spot light if we need a little handy and portable boost. Often I have to use 800+ ISO, and I've used up to 3200 ISO.

Putting the camera on 'auto', and it may tend to really darken the backgrounds to expose closer subjects only, so always watch your histgram (not LCD photo) for correct exposures.

Using the flash 'on camera' will produce unwanted shadows, esp. in the vertical position.

Kids and 'grown-ups' tend to get in your way and crowd you so do not let anyone over power you, and mess up your chances.

Try different angles - get on chairs, etc and shoot over the crowd. I also sometimes nearly put the camera on the dance floor for some 'unique' stuff - but not shooting up 'short skirts'

Bouncing light is also effective if possible.

Always be ready for something unexpected to happen - cause it will! Concentrate on expressions.

Overall, you'll probably get some good shots, and lots of typical candid, because it takes a while to 'develope your eye' and build experience to produce higher quality pro images. Always act calm and professional anyway!

Just try to keep them totally relaxed in front of the camera, and try to have a good time yourself!:thumbsup:

Best of luck,

Kathy

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yes, i can not stress the flash enough. but no direct.

check out http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html for some good tips. even has wedding images! always look for stuff to bounce off of, even walls directly behind you. the swivel head is very helpful!

Hi there ... I've never photographed a wedding myself, but as a "vicar type person" I have seen literally hundreds being shot, both at the service (whether church or secular) and reception (and, oh boy, I could tell you some stories!) I know you are only doing the reception, but maybe there are readers of this forum who might get asked to do the ceremony itself. If the ceremony is at a church, don't be afraid to ask the minister if there are any particular views he/she might suggest. Also, if you are an amateur at this, ask him/her what the ground rules are (I find the pros already know these). It might be helpful to have a cheat sheet of conventional pictures (eg bride getting out of car, couple coming down the aisle at the end, the various group pictures, etc) - that way you will have those covered and can give more attention to the more informal pictures.

Good luck!
    Mike

Check that your allowed to photo at the reception place and see if you can scout out the sitution with either party to get an idea of layout so that you can plan the shots. See what shots they have in mind and look for a outside area for shots before they enter.

I haven't shot a wedding since mid 80's thank god. On one occassion the main photog put a roll of film in the wrong way round and lost a load of photos and mine came up trumps.

Carry loads of batteries for the flash and spare for the camera. Loads of cards. Tin foil for bouncing light or the a posh reflector if you have one.

Hope that helps

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Check out this shortcut. It has more than you (or me) could ever want, but it will give you plenty of ideas. HTH

WesternGuy

http://www.photozo.com/forum/viewtop...=wedding+photo

Thread Information