ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The Ultra Wide Angle Thread

With all the recent posts about people getting new WA lenses I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to ultra WA images. Feel free to add your own wide angle images to this thread, and tell us what lens, and what focal length the image was taken at.

This was taken last night at 12mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-img_1740_v2.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: The Ultra Wide Angle Thread

Great thread idea and GREAT shot
    I can't wait till my Pentax 16-50 da* gets here so I can join in

Nice photo. Someday, I'll have to try star tracks.
    Here are three taken with the Tokina 12-24mm Tokina on a D200.

12mm Shows what happens if you shoot into the sun But I didn't feel like hiking another few miles to get the sun at my back. This year I'll try for a sunset
    Zeus and Moses; off White Rim Trail, lower Canyonlands NP

18mm. Inside Fiery Furnace; Arches NP

12mm. Inside Park Avenue; Arches NP
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

Liz

Great idea for a thread.......I'll have to wait until next week when my Tokina 12-24 is delivered.

Seeing these nice shots makes me look forward even more to using this lens!

Thanks for posting - great shots.

Liz

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Tameron 11-18mm on a Nikon F80 (Velvia 50). Yes, true 11mm no crop factor
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I haven't had the chance to really take my Sigma 10-20mm out much, but this is what I have so far. I've posted some of these in the critique section as well.

@ 10mm

@ 10mm

@10mm

So far, I LOVE this lens!
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

I took this with a 15mm 4.5 Voigtlander.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    With all the recent posts about people getting new WA lenses I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to ultra WA images. Feel free to add your own wide angle images to this thread, and tell us what lens, and what focal length the image was taken at.

This was taken last night at 12mm.
    I LOVE that shot. Star trails are definitely something I want to learn how to shoot. What are the EXIF details for a shot like that?
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by f5fstop
    Nice photo. Someday, I'll have to try star tracks.
    Here are three taken with the Tokina 12-24mm Tokina on a D200.

12mm Shows what happens if you shoot into the sun But I didn't feel like hiking another few miles to get the sun at my back. This year I'll try for a sunset
    #3 is my favorite of the bunch here. Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

I need to get down to Southern Utah this year for some shooting.
    Jim R

Awesome thread! Heres a bunch of shots I've taken w/ my 8mm since I've gotten it.

-Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Wow, that's some fisheye!
    Jim R

Quote Originally Posted by spiraleyes
    I LOVE that shot. Star trails are definitely something I want to learn how to shoot. What are the EXIF details for a shot like that?
    Thanks.

This image is actually 5 shots put together to make one. I used four 20 minute exposures to get the trails. Then I used about a 1 minute exposure and a 2 million candle power spotlight to paint in the FG for the 5th exposure. All shots were taken at f/8 and ISO 200. (I should have opened up a little more.) I didn't see the moon at all last night, so I may have been able to get this all in one single exposure. I was hoping for another clear night tonight, but no luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks.

This image is actually 5 shots put together to make one. I used four 20 minute exposures to get the trails. Then I used about a 1 minute exposure and a 2 million candle power spotlight to paint in the FG for the 5th exposure. All shots were taken at f/8 and ISO 200. (I should have opened up a little more.) I didn't see the moon at all last night, so I may have been able to get this all in one single exposure. I was hoping for another clear night tonight, but no luck.

I often wondered how you'd be able to expose for so long without the light completely overwhelming it. I never thought about combining exposures. The spotlight effect really makes the shot stand out as well. Good call.

I think I'm going to try a lot of this when the weather warms up and stays clear. :thumbsup:
    Jim R

Here are a few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-crw_2154.jpg   The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-crw_6717hdr.jpg   The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-crw_7851_a.jpg   The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-crw_1373.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Excellent photos everyone. MJS, I LOVE that second one above. It looks like it came straight from a children's storybook.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

The photgraphers got ready as Mr. Clintons motorcade pulls into the Dairy Queen.
    Tokina 12-24 at 12mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-dsc_1485-4-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Well, I just ordered the Tokina 12-24 from Normancamera.com. I've ordered quite of bit of my photo equipment from them. They are reputable, been in business for years - and the customer service is great. Besides, the price was $489 $10 less than other places) and no tax (I live in NJ - they are in Michigan). I'll get it Wednesday! It shipped within 30 minutes after I ordered it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

What is considered wide angle?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I'd say anywhere less than 30mm or so can be considered wide angle..
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Oh, OK, because the widest I have is 16mm.
    I really do not do much where I need wider than that.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I consider a Ultra Wide Angle any lens that is 35mm Film equivalent of less than 24mm. That is the 17mm lens on my D70 is a 25.5mm equivalent just a wide angle. Unluckily the Nikon DX lenses will not cover a full frame sensor
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Im using a digicam equiv to 38mm -380 mm with a .38 wicon which yields 14 mm equiv.

photos of my home and views of Winnipeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-houseview1sm.jpg   The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-alleysm.jpg   The Ultra Wide Angle Thread-rogersbldgsm.jpg  

In the old days, wide-angle for a 35mm film camera was anything less than what was considered the normal lens, which was the 50mm. This was based on the diagonal of the image area (approx. 44mm), then rounded to the next sized standard lens (50mm). Therefore, anything less than 50mm was considered wide-angle. Now, with digital I would guess it was the same for the FX format; but not for the DX format.

Guessing off the top of my head, I believe it would be around 28mm for a standard on a DX; therefore, anything under 28mm would be considered wide-angle. As to what is a Ultra wide-angle, that is anyone’s guess, and is probably too subjective to really answer.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

When I started this thread I was going to put in a mm limit for ultra wide, but figured it was too subjective. My personal view is that 24mm is a pretty standard wide angle lens on a 35mm format camera. So I consider anything wider than 24mm on a 35mm format camera to be "ultra wide".

The other "rule" I was going to add was to keep this thread for single frame images. What I mean by that is no stitched panos.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information