ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Two Business Opportunities for me...how to approach them??

Recently, I was approached by two members of my fraternity with ideas for some work. One member wanted to use me to help with a fundraiser, and another wanted me to put together a proposal for doing the Fraternity's yearly Composite of the members.

The fundraiser idea is a "Girls of..." calendar. I see this as a good opportunity to create some good portfolio shots, but I have no idea how to approach this. I have never set up a photo shoot before, and I know I'm going to need some model releases to use the images and possibly some clothing donated by local stores in order to pull this off. Plus, I've never worked in a situation where I would be using models.

The other opportunity has me very excited since I've tried pushing for this in the past. Over the last couple years, my Fraternity has used the Fraternal Composite Service to produce a composite of every undergraduate brother. If you're not aware of them, Fraternal Composites produces "heirloom quality" setups, but their price is high.

My fraternity want me to come in with a proposal/bid. Who would be the best people to talk to about prices for assembling this? I know there is a store in a nearby town that builds frames and sells glass, so it wouldn't be too hard to get a quote from them, but I don't know how to go about inlaying the pictures into the background.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: Two Business Opportunities for me...how to approach them??

I don't know if I was too clear in my post, so let me try to clear up what I mean. I'm not sure how I would go about either of these, especially doing the composite. I've never done either thing, or really prepared a proposal, so any advice than anyone has would be appreciated.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I have no idea about any of that stuff, but wanted to say that if you are looking to have something "assembled" as in you have photos and need them framed/matted in a certain way, try giving Artist's World in Cedarburg a call. I use them frequently, and they are amazing. And they can frame just about anything.

What do you mean by a composite? Can you show us a photos of what has been previously done?

As far as the calender, yes, get model releases. You also might want to consider a hair/makeup person.

That's all I know.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I should have explained what a composite is better. A composite is basically all the headshots of that year's members in one frame. They kinda look like some of these:

*Images courtesty of Fraternal Composite Service, www.fraternalcompsite.com

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I have no idea about any of that stuff, but wanted to say that if you are looking to have something "assembled" as in you have photos and need them framed/matted in a certain way, try giving Artist's World in Cedarburg a call. I use them frequently, and they are amazing. And they can frame just about anything.

What do you mean by a composite? Can you show us a photos of what has been previously done?

As far as the calender, yes, get model releases. You also might want to consider a hair/makeup person.

That's all I know.
    Last edited by masdog; 11-18-2005 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Removing extra images
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

I'm not the expert on this, but agree with Adina about model releases and maybe a hair/makeup person. Just an idea, but maybe the theatrical department might have someone who could do this.

Are you making multiple copies of the composites? If you're just doing one, a good framing shop could cut a mat board for individual photographs of each person, but that will cost a lot of money. If you're making a bunch of them, you could probably make a final image like these samples in Photoshop (but I couldn't really help with how to do it...), then mat and frame these composite prints.

My college really doesn't have a theatrical department. I think the actors do most of their own stuff because I go to a pretty small school (total enrollment around 1300, only about 500 traditional students).

As for the composites, I would be making two types. There would be one elaborate one that gets hung on the wall in the house, and then there are multiples that are 11x14 in size that will be given to each brother. Each brother is responsible for framing their individual composite.

I will definitely have to check framing shops around me to get quotes.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Pentax Forum Moderator

I'm no expert at PS by any means, but I'm sure you just need to set up a template of some sort, and then just layer the photos in. You can adjust your canvas size and choose your backgrounds, put in your fraternity emblem, however you like. Takes a little work, but not really that hard. Once you've done the first one...the rest are easy. There may be a way to automate this type of thing...but I don't know how.
    Everyone else has mentioned the framing, releases, etc...
    Hope this helps...

BTW, how did your protest shots turn out on Veterans Day. I've been looking for them. Did you get any shots of Vets in the protest?

Take care...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think creating your composite in PS would be the most inexpensive way to go. I don't remember what our composites looked like, as far as how they were framed. I don't remember if there was a matt board with a cut out for each print, or if it was just one large print designed to look matted... I know the small ones we got were just a print, but I'm not sure about the large one for the chapter house.

I guess it depends on how much time and money you want to invest in the project. Personally, I think it would be well worth the investment on your part. Once you get your template created, you will just have to stick the photos in and retype some of the text for the next years members and you're done. It would be a great way for you to make a little money for yourself, and to save your fraternity some cash at the same time. And there is always the possibility of expanding your business to other chapters on your campus.

Good luck and keep up posted.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I'll google Artist's World in Cedarburg and try to get a quote from them, and I think there is a shop in Oshkosh that builds frames and stuff that I will call for a quote as well. I didn't consider doing the layout in Photoshop, but I will look into that a little more.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information