ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Twitter Users?

Twitter Users?

Any Twitter users here? I just created a Twitter account for PhotographyREVIEW.com. I'm calling it the PhotographyREVIEW.com spam machine. It automatically posts to Twitter via our articles and news section RSS feed. So if you're on Twitter and want to be informed about new digital camera reviews, camera news, etc., follow Camera_Review on Twitter and you will know all! Your friends will all be *so* jealous!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Twitter Users?

I have been waiting for the Twitter to show up here. I don't use it, but I hear a lot about it. It seems like almost all of the podcasts I listen too plug their twitter now.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I signed up for twitter the other day. This damn thing is addictive.
    @MagicLightPhoto
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I signed up for twitter the other day. This damn thing is addictive.
    @MagicLightPhoto
    It sure is. It's also a great way to get news quickly and share stuff.

I just followed you back. Please retweet our posts and share stuff you like on the site - help spread the word about PhotographyREVIEW.com!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I dunno- I guess I'm antisocial(networking)... I have no interest in hanging out on twitter, facebook, myspace, etc...

Am I alone on this?

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

@Joe_Maintenance

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I dunno- I guess I'm antisocial(networking)... I have no interest in hanging out on twitter, facebook, myspace, etc...

Am I alone on this?

BM
    LMAO me too! I have plenty enough diversions on the net as it is!

Am I alone on this?

BM
    Funny you mention this. My buddy was over yesterday and showing me all the people from his facebook account, a lot of people I know. But still no faceboook, myspace, twitter or anything like that for me.

James

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I signed up but have no real interest either.
    I'll follow pj I guess but trying to keep up with this stuff is too much for me and I don't want to get addicted to it.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Twitter is interesting. I've been avoiding it, but I gave in when I found out Mat Mladin and several other Superbike racers were on it. So far, I don't do a whole lot with it, but it is a very interesting way to get personal insight from people you otherwise couldn't. My address is racephoto.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I did sign up and before I could open my email I had two followers. No idea who they are.
    What's a follower?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

When you write something in the box, it can be seen by anyone "following" you, or anyone who looks at your profile. Say you write "April showers bring May flowers" and post it. Your followers will automatically see that on their own profile (like when you see PR's updates). Of course you don't have to post anything at all if you don't want to, and you can block those people if you don't want them to read what you say.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye

My Blog

If I drink too much caffeine I twitter
    I like following Lance & company via twitter
    Follow a few musicians & celebs & icanhascheezburger
    and it can be very entertaining.
    And then there is always our fearless leader PJ, living the High Life.
    "Photo_John Enjoying a fine dinner of pretzel and cheddar Combos"

I'm not sure yet why I twitter...I'm just kicking the tires.
    http://twitter.com/o0Hollis0o
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Am I alone on this?

BM
    I guess not because I thought I was too. Never visited any of those sites. Not quite sure what twitter even is.

Gotta run outside and play now.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I love facebook. It's interesting, and I can find enough to do even when people aren't actively interacting with me.

I hate myspace. It seems boring unless you're a teenager with lots of friends posting on your wall.

I'm not sure what to make of Twitter. I've joined, but I can't really figure out what it's good for. It's a little bit like junkmail on demand ... I get tons of links for things I have no time to check out. I get partial bits of conversations that I don't see all of because I'm not following all the people involved. I see self-absorbed people who seem to have a lot of friends. I'm just as self-absorbed as the best of 'em, haha, but history shows me that I'm not a catalyst for followers.

SO, that leaves me with the conclusion that anyone who wants to follow me is ultimately going to spam me with their own self-interest. Which I am not necessarily interested in spending my time on.

I *am* following Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore, which is interesting.

SO, I beg anyone here to please make a case for me why I should think otherwise about Twitter? I really really want to "get" it ...
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

For me, twitter is a place to get some quick, up to date info. I'm only following a few people, and they are all photo related. I get links to interesting photo or nature related articles as well as news bits. I don't post much myself, but I do like getting the info from others. As far as facebook goes, I just signed up for that about a month ago. I post even lesson FB than I do on twitter. I have reconnected with some friends from college that I haven't seen or talked to in years, so that was pretty cool. Other than that, I really don't get too involved with either of them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I have been on facebook for over two years, and I've noticed a definite pattern.

A lot of people join, friend a few people, and then sit idle for about six months. Their accounts sit with no activity, and then suddenly one day it's as if they've decided they finally trust the application, and they get really really busy all of a sudden. They accept dozens of friend requests, start playing games, posting messages, and updating status. You see their friends interacting with them and having a lot of fun, and they get entrenched. After that you see them regularly using facebook, and they stick with it.

I only know of a couple of people who tried facebook out for awhile and then deleted their accounts.

But overall, what I see is people starting out cautiously and without trust, but ultimately embracing it. For me, it's brought me closer to a lot of unexpected people across the world.

I don't see Twitter doing that, although that seems to be what Twitter users are experiencing, so I'm puzzled.

Twitter has a dual purpose for me, and I have two accounts. On the first account, I follow exactly three accounts. All are newswires, and all are sent to my blackberry. Then, on lunch or break, I can browse the headlines, and choose wether or not to follow the links to the story. Keeps me up to date.

The second account is mostly for a few forums I frequent. Both are magazines published in the UK, but they both have an international following. On this account, Twitter basically acts like an IM system- instant updates, instant responses.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Am I alone on this?

BM
    Nope. I dont call it anti-social not to twitter, facebook or myspace. I call it having a life.

I joined Face book a few months ago, just to keep track of my kids. My eldest does day care and posts quite a few videos and photos. That's the only way I get to see them. My daughters are the only friends I want, on Facebook. I've already warned my in-laws not to bother asking me to be a friend, because I will ignore them, nothing personal. Other than that, I think it's all quite silly. If you want to keep in touch with someone, email them. Why "write on someone's wall", for all their friends to see. These forums keep me busy enough.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm twittering, with the occasional pic.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

writing on someone's wall is the equivalent of passing them in the hallway and stopping for a brief exchange of pleasantries. It would be weird to email someone with such minor conversation. Email usually has some purpose in mind. I've found that if I email people with too many "hey, loved your comment in class the other day," or "great choice of color for your kitchen!" messages, they start to think I'm annoying or stalkerish. FB encourages such little exchanges.

Which is how I know that a professor I've never met in California hated having to kill a rat in her garage; a playwright in Minnesota is going to write a play about "lost springtime" and I'm going to write a poem about it; and a woman in Trinidad-Tobago had a wild bird fly into her microwave and I was able to crack a joke about it.

Things that are so not worth an email. Things that don't fit cleanly under the topic list of a forum and would otherwise not be mentioned. But fascinating things about people around the world!!

I used to use Twitter but haven't updated that thing in months.
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. ~Ansel Adams

I see three main uses for Twitter.
    1) Getting "inside information" from a particular group. IE, I follow several racers. I'd otherwise have no idea what their personal thoughts are on race day, qualifying, etc. Same goes for any other group/interest, like celebrities, photographers, etc.

2) Getting up to the moment information. News services, other users, whatever; it's like a giant IM system. Birmingham's meteorologist is big on Twitter, so there are constant updates when there is bad weather.

3) Keeping up with friends. I don't have many close friends on it, but I can easily see it as very similar to a "universal" AIM type thing - instant connection w/ everyone.

I'm sure there are more but those are the basic ones I see so far. I just post a pic every now and then.
    Brad

My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by RP Racing
    Nope. I dont call it anti-social not to twitter, facebook or myspace. I call it having a life.
    lol- that's a good one...

As far as passing a casual comment, I prefer to instant message. I've got my closest friends and family members on my contacts list, and if I've got something quick to say, I just IM them, or text them. Works for me...

My sisters and sister-in-law have been trying hard to get us on Facebook. My sister-in-law actually went as far as creating an account for my wife, and managing it for her for a while, but eventually gave up. My wife is at home with 4 kids, and one on the way, so she's got enough to do.

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Thread Information