ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Trying to capture dark brown eyes is not easy..

I took these of my daughter the other day and this was one of the few times I have been able to capture their true colour.

and this of her lucious lashes

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Trying to capture dark brown eyes is not easy..

Nice images wendy, but maybe a reflector will help to get better lighting to the eyes ? Being a wildlife shooter mostly, I haven't tried that myself though.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

These are nice shots, but to help with the color try a custom white balance, these are off because of that.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

how about fill flash? It creates a catch light in the eyes, and may help to lighten them up a bit. unless you already used fill flash...but if you did, there should be a small white circle in the very center of the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Nice images wendy, but maybe a reflector will help to get better lighting to the eyes ? Being a wildlife shooter mostly, I haven't tried that myself though.

Thanks Paul, I do have a reflector too, never thought to drag that along on this occassion. Might give it a try next time and bring back the results!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    These are nice shots, but to help with the color try a custom white balance, these are off because of that.
    Thanks Sebastian. Never used Custom WB. Any suggestions what to use to set it up? I know how to, just dont know what to use. Some say use a Pringles lid but ours are clear would that be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    how about fill flash? It creates a catch light in the eyes, and may help to lighten them up a bit. unless you already used fill flash...but if you did, there should be a small white circle in the very center of the eyes.

I knew someone would suggest flash! I'm not a flash kinda person I'm afraid. Although I have the SB800 I only use it in extreme circumstances (indoors at night!) I dont like how it puts that dot in the eyes. Thanks for the ideas though!

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Photographing kids is fun, esp. when they are your own.

May I suggest?

I like to really be on their 'level'.... get the camera lower. Lay or sit on the ground if you have to.

Second use a reflector, fill in the darker areas a bit, esp. since you don't like fill flash.

Third, a catchlight in the eye adds life. Compare just the eyes on #1 & #2 - JUST THE EYES. Which set of eyes 'jump' out at you, full of energy and life... For me its #2, and the reflective light in her eye in #2 is the main reason, even with the hair strands covering part of the eye, they are much more interesting than the first.

So for your 'eye' series here, #2 is the strongest image for me.

Keep shooting!
    Kathy

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well, I don't think the third shot captures her eye color quite as well as the first two... :cryin:

Hah, just teasing. Yep, she has great dark eyes. As you seem to have discovered, soft diffuse light almost always brings out the saturation in colors, especially darker ones...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information