ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Seb

Tripod, what are you using???

Hello,

Since the previous tread was so succesful i'll ask this one: which tripod are you using and why?

Currently, I own a simple Velbon CX 540. There is nothing much to say about it. It's decently sturdy (by no means as strong as a pro grade model but by no means as heavy...). This tripod did the job most of the time over the past two years but going for a vertical framing is a major issue. I can't prevent my camera from slipping on the tripod head due to it's own weight (I had this problem with my Nikon F65 and it's now significantly worse with my D70/Tamron setup since it's fairly heavier).

Can I prevent this by getting a different head? Should I simply think about getting a better tripod? Any suggestion is welcome.

Seb

It's hurricane season... again...
    Hey Seb, I have a Circuit City special... $50.00 Memorex. Like yours, it does the job horizontally, but becomes almost impossible to use vertically. I wish I could afford a nice Bogen 3021 w/3047 head, but my husband is gonna kill me if I spend any more money on photography right now! ;)
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

hi seb,
    i use a nikon D70 and a slik 400 pro tripod. ive had a few others but this i like a lot because of the options i have with it. it has 3 section legs, very sturdy at full hieght with the d70. I take a lot of landscape photos and the legs have 3 settings to take it down almost to the ground ( 6" ) you can split the centre columb and remove half of it, mount the camera on the bottom and turn the columb upside down to get the very low angle shots. a nice padded top section of the leg keeps your hands warm in the colder weather. 2.5 kgs tho. I strap it to my Mountain bike top frame. I swear by it and i wont be buying another tripod for a few years!!!

$30 Quantaray or something..it weighs like half a pound, so it's decent to carry around on my backpack. I'm ordering a nice monopod soon, I hope..tripods are too much of a hassle for me when I really only need a monopod.

Gitzo 1228 w/ Bogen 3030 head

I will be replacing the head soon because it alone weighs about twice as much as the carbon fiber legs. I also sometimes use an Adorama Podmatic monopod when I am just walking around.

Nothing!

The handle snapped off my "el cheapo" and I haven't replaced it yet. I think it was from Sears, probably about $40, got it as a Christmas gift in 2000.

Haven't really started looking for a new one yet, am going to try to use it as is, it was just the handle that moves the center column up and down, so the tripod still functions.

adina

Gitzo 1228 carbon fiber with Arca Swiss head. I know, I know... Very light, sturdy, doesn't get cold in winter, etc. If I didn't get the deal on it that I did, I probably wouldn't have it though.

I've got a Bogen 3021 with a Bogen 488 panning ballhead, and then a Bogen monopod with a Bogen pistol grip ball head.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Bogen 3021PRO w /3025 3D head. I really like the versatility of the 3021 - the center column can be pulled out and mounted horizontally. The camera can be mounted on the bottom of the center column, for ground shots wthout the legs in the way. The legs go to a full horizontal position, which along with the low-angle adapter, allows you to position the camera between 4-5 inches off the ground. I'm looking at getting the 3265 ball head, but it's on a list with a bunch of other stuff so we'll see.

Danielle

I have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021B Pro and the 322RC2 head. So far, so good!
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. -Thomas Jefferson

I just moved up to a..

pair of Gitzo G-2220 legs and a Manfroto 322RC2 head. I'm really liking the combo, however there's a slight learning curve since both legs and head are so different than the Bogen legs (model unknown) and the Bogen 3030 head I've used for the past 8 years.

Good thread!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Tripod and Ballhead...

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello,

Since the previous tread was so succesful i'll ask this one: which tripod are you using and why?

Currently, I own a simple Velbon CX 540. There is nothing much to say about it. It's decently sturdy (by no means as strong as a pro grade model but by no means as heavy...). This tripod did the job most of the time over the past two years but going for a vertical framing is a major issue. I can't prevent my camera from slipping on the tripod head due to it's own weight (I had this problem with my Nikon F65 and it's now significantly worse with my D70/Tamron setup since it's fairly heavier).

Can I prevent this by getting a different head? Should I simply think about getting a better tripod? Any suggestion is welcome.

Seb
    I have a Bogen 3011BN tripod and a Monfrotto 486 ballhead.

The 3011 weighs in at 4.9 pounds, but it's sturdy. Best of all, it cost $118 plus shipping, which is a bargain compared to what they want for some tripods.

I got my 486 ballhead for $60 at ASAP photo, and I love how quick and easy it is to use, even vertically. I haven't had any problems with it holding my N80, even with my 70-300mm lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=272449&is=REG
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information