ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Translucent mirrors and prisms.

Read a rumor stating that Sony intends to abandon the optical prism design and make all future cameras with translucent mirrors. This is a pretty major move, if true. I wonder how it would effect Canikon, it seems like it will either throw Sony ahead of the game or push em back further. What do you guys think? Do you think the optical viewfinder is becoming obsolete? Can the professional live without it? Is he better off with an EVF like those in the SLT's?

Photo-John, after the time you spent with your A55, I'm curious what your thoughts are on this move? Can we live without an organic optical view?

Re: Translucent mirrors and prisms.

As you can imagine, this is a very hot topic in the Sony/Minolta community, though I don’t think that it is SLR vs. SLT as much as it is OVF vs. EVF. Opinions range from ‘OVF only forever’ to ‘EVF is the only future’. My thoughts:

- I am for the system that offers me the features that let me capture images the way that is best for me. I don’t care what that technology is.

- Sony – I see no reason for anyone to buy a Sony if it is just ‘more of the same’ compared to Canikon (except for those with an extensive A-mount collection of lenses). They have to offer something different to survive in the ‘DSLR’ market.

- I have no interest in the integration of video, but the SLT design is the only system providing Phase Detect AF (PDAF) with video without blacking out the view.

- I believe that the current mechanical systems will be replaced for the vast majority of ‘DSLR’-level cameras. The ‘floppy mirror’ (and then the shutter curtain) will become more and more of a very high end only niche until it becomes Leica-like with prices to match.

- Though SLR will be replaced, SLT will probably not be the final solution. The goals will be:
    --- Main sensor AF that provides acceptable speed and accuracy. This may be integrated PDAF, very high speed CDAF (contrast) or something completely new. A system with only one light path will alleviate a lot of problems.
    --- Electronic shutter providing a non-mechanical, quiet, video compatible shutter with no flash sync problems.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

So do you give credence to the rumor that Sony is done with DSLR's and onto SLT only? (though it does seem like a legitimate rumor)

I think its weird considering they released the A33 and A55 alongside 2 DSLR's. It's almost like they came to that decision after that release, possibly granted by how well received the SLT technology was.

I don't see any reason for them to eliminate the shutter? Its already pretty dang quiet. What do you mean video compatible shutter?

I am personally excited for this. But maybe even more so, their next release may drop the price of the A850 and A900. Meaning, perhaps I could get an A850 for $1k after their next release? Heres hoping! Or, I might even forgo that in favor of the new A77, will SLT steal my interest away from full frame? We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Read a rumor stating that Sony intends to abandon the optical prism design and make all future cameras with translucent mirrors. This is a pretty major move, if true. I wonder how it would effect Canikon, it seems like it will either throw Sony ahead of the game or push em back further. What do you guys think? Do you think the optical viewfinder is becoming obsolete? Can the professional live without it? Is he better off with an EVF like those in the SLT's?

Photo-John, after the time you spent with your A55, I'm curious what your thoughts are on this move? Can we live without an organic optical view?
    Shades of 1960's and the Topcon SLR (my spelling is in question here) Toko Optical Companys camera. My boss had to retire his in the 70-80s as the repare was to costly.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    So do you give credence to the rumor that Sony is done with DSLR's and onto SLT only? (though it does seem like a legitimate rumor)

I think its weird considering they released the A33 and A55 alongside 2 DSLR's. It's almost like they came to that decision after that release, possibly granted by how well received the SLT technology was.

I don't see any reason for them to eliminate the shutter? Its already pretty dang quiet. What do you mean video compatible shutter?

I am personally excited for this. But maybe even more so, their next release may drop the price of the A850 and A900. Meaning, perhaps I could get an A850 for $1k after their next release? Heres hoping! Or, I might even forgo that in favor of the new A77, will SLT steal my interest away from full frame? We'll see
    I'm quite sure Sony has no current plans for any more APS SLRs, but plans can certainly change. (I believe they had an SLR A7xx nearly ready for release and scrapped it for the SLT redesign even though it meant another year before the release.) With the current problems in Japan, it may be quite some time before we see the 'A77'. With this time they may announce the SLT that is expected to be announced in July or delay another year and go with whatever is next??? My guess is that the SLT will be released because they would not be comfortable releasing a camera at this level with untested (by selling cheaper models) technology.

As for the two A33/55 co-existing DSLRs, they are very, very good and no one cares. I'm pretty sure that I will get an A580 when they get cheaper to replace my A350/A700 combination. IMHO, if the photographic world could figure out how useful fast focus Live View can be, this would be the best selling camera out there.

For Sony full frame? I think right now the odds are about equal for SLR, non-SLR or None. Sony execs have said that they, and they believe the entire industry, have been quite surprised by the acceptance of the APS sensor and are really re-thinking where the FF sensor fits in. I think their original plan was to continue along the lines of the A850 and make cheaper FF the standard for the advanced amateur (> $1000). Then came the likes of the very successful Canon 7D with APS and ???

I think there are many types of shooters that would really love the totally silent camera that you can have with an electronic shutter. From wild life to moms and dads shooting school plays, even the SLTs sound like rifles or machine guns in the quiet. A still-capable electronic shutter could be used for video where the opposite currently isn’t true.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information