ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    learning member

trademak foilage bokeh

I was reviewing Foto Wilhelms work & noticed that much of his work has foilage with great bokeh.
    I dont see too many pics with this and was wondering if it's more difficult to come by with 35mm & digital cameras- lenses. He also uses wide angle lenses, which would seem to make it more difficult to acheive with smaller format, espeacially digital.
    Let me rephraise, I know its more difficult but where can i see some examples?
    I greatly admire his work!
    Mark.

Re: trademak foilage bokeh

Bokeh depends on the lens itself. A lot of German lenses are known for having good Bokeh, like some Leica 35mm lenses and Zeiss (Hasselblad). There are other good 35mm lenses - Nikon's 85 f1.4 for example. I can post an example later.

Is it Bokeh that you're looking at (which is the smoothness of the out-of-focus areas) or the out-of-focus areas themselves? If you're looking for shallow depth of field, it's pretty easy to do with anything, but a little harder with wide angle lenses. The closer you can get and the wider the aperture, the shallower the DOF you'll get. This is really tough to do with compact digitals though, the widest they go is usually around 7mm at a max f2.8. This gives you tons of DOF unless you get literally inches from your subject...

Thread Information