ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Toy cameras...do phones count?

I gots me a camera phone... 0.1 megapixel, super-wide lens,,,loads of fun.

Last edited by Sebastian; 04-12-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Certainly...

I think it should be obvious by now that there's a sub-culture of photographers that purposely shoot with very low res digicams, much in the same way many of us have played with and love the toy film cameras...

I agree, this is great stuff. Very painterly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I think it should be obvious by now that there's a sub-culture of photographers that purposely shoot with very low res digicams, much in the same way many of us have played with and love the toy film cameras...

I agree, this is great stuff. Very painterly...
    I was just gonna say - it looks a little like "digital Holga". Interesting stuff.

Camera Holga

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That's great stuff....interesting points of view. I like them. Reminds me of a Holga.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I have a camera phone too. I havent really tried much, just taking pictures of people with mullets, I live in SC, so its obviously pretty useful! I need to figure out how to get them online.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    I have a camera phone too. I havent really tried much, just taking pictures of people with mullets, I live in SC, so its obviously pretty useful! I need to figure out how to get them online.
    You know, with that subject matter...maybe you shouldn't post them?

You can send them to yourself if you have messaging service, or you can doanload them via a cable or an infrared connection. I use the IR.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate the kind words.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I don't get it.

While I can appreciate Seb's use of his camera phone as a toy camera, I don't think camera phones are really aimed at photographers. I just don't get it - why are they so popular? I'd be terrible at envisioning what new uses of technology people will embrace.

Camera phones for instance - they seem gimmicky to me, but they sure are the hot thing to have.

Games on phones - again, very popular, but I just don't understand the desire to play a game on a teeny little screen with a number pad as controls.

Cameras built into wrist watches - James Bond envy?

Web browsing on phones - that has got to be one of the most frustrating things - they're too darn small!

Oh oh, I think I'm starting to sound like grumpy old Andy Rooney.

Spike

Convergence

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    While I can appreciate Seb's use of his camera phone as a toy camera, I don't think camera phones are really aimed at photographers. I just don't get it - why are they so popular? I'd be terrible at envisioning what new uses of technology people will embrace.

Camera phones for instance - they seem gimmicky to me, but they sure are the hot thing to have.

Games on phones - again, very popular, but I just don't understand the desire to play a game on a teeny little screen with a number pad as controls.

Cameras built into wrist watches - James Bond envy?

Web browsing on phones - that has got to be one of the most frustrating things - they're too darn small!

Oh oh, I think I'm starting to sound like grumpy old Andy Rooney.

Spike
    Spike,

I can understand where you're coming from. No, I doubt camera phones are meant at photographers as much as disposable cameras are emant for photographers. They are for people wanting to quickly record their memories. But, the big thing here is convergence, having one device do it all. Basically, the PC took all these things that we needed different hardware for and put them into one box. Games, word processors, adding machines, etc. The same thing is happening in the small electronics area. Instead of a PDA, phone and camera, you can have one device that combines all of them. It really deos make sense, but it takes some experience with the devices to start to appreciate it. As for web browsing on phones, it really isn't that bad since these aren't regular web pages, they are designed from the get-go for phones and other small-screen devices.
    I admit, they have a long way to go before they become as user friendly as a one-shot appliance, but this is just the infant stage, things will only get better from here. In the future you'll be taking pictures with your new digital camera when your husband's face suddenly appears on the LCD screen, because it's also your video cell-phone...
    -Seb

My website

Talking

Straight out of a horror movie...like a zombie's view after rising from the dead...
    ooooooo.... o.k. so I don't get out much or I need therapy---in any case ----
    cool...I'm jealous. Have fun....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Sure looks like fun! They do serve a purpose, but I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't compare it to a holga. A holga still has a 6x6 or 6x4.5 negative! Toy or not, you can make decent size prints with them. These cell phone camera images will significanly degrade when upsampling to make even a 4x6. Then again, I'm usualy not happy with the loss of quality in an 8x12 print with a 25% crop from my 10d.

Maybe when they get to the point of matching my A70 I'd be more interested. It can make a decent 4x6, and with a very good image you can even get an OK 8x10.

Still, as you said, it can capture the moment and be a lot of fun. I enjoy giving my a70 to the kids to play with at gathering. They usually can't take a sharp image but don't know the difference from what they see on the lcd.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by darkman
    Sure looks like fun! They do serve a purpose, but I'll leave it at that.

I wouldn't compare it to a holga. A holga still has a 6x6 or 6x4.5 negative! Toy or not, you can make decent size prints with them. These cell phone camera images will significanly degrade when upsampling to make even a 4x6. Then again, I'm usualy not happy with the loss of quality in an 8x12 print with a 25% crop from my 10d.

Maybe when they get to the point of matching my A70 I'd be more interested. It can make a decent 4x6, and with a very good image you can even get an OK 8x10.

Still, as you said, it can capture the moment and be a lot of fun. I enjoy giving my a70 to the kids to play with at gathering. They usually can't take a sharp image but don't know the difference from what they see on the lcd.

Mike

Mike...you're taking the "toy" out of toy camera...
    -Seb

My website

I'm in real estate and there are agents out there who actually think it's impressive to take photos for brochures with those phones, which are pretty small format so not too impressive on the actual brochure, unless you dig pixelated images lol.

Mostly, I see people using them for fun, just clowing around, taking pictures, which is cool.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

we just bought new cell phones

my husbands has a camera, mine doesn't. The sales guy asked him did he think I'd be disappointed by the lack of camera, he said he thought I'd cope.

Mostly we played with it the first few days, other than that, I don't think it's going to get much use. Although we are trying to make it bring up a certain picture when the phone rings. Like custom ring tones? He's been taking pics of everyone in his phone book. Like when I call, a pic of me comes up. When his parents call, a pic of them comes up. Not sure if he has it working yet.

I think mostly they are just something to play with, not supposed to have a serious purpose.

adina

Thread Information