ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Took pics of my red-headed niece today

and although she was tired and I wasn't entirely thrilled with the fact that my sis in law brought her over with greasy hair, they aren't too bad. I'll have to shoot her when she's more awake.

http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

And my lighting setup for this shoot

I've created a mini-portable studio for myself by using an old movie screen that stretches upward and putting velcro on the top, then I have fabrics that I put the other side of velcro on so I can have different backgrounds for sitting portrait shots. I have 3 lights I set in the background: a globe light on the ground, a head level soft light facing the backdrop, and a lower level light that is bright white facing the background. Then I used a flash on my subject and the pics came out perfect! ;-) I set it up in my garage tonight, but have used this setup outside using daylight mixed with my lighting, which also works out nicely when I hate what's in the background!

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Dern cute

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    and although she was tired and I wasn't entirely thrilled with the fact that my sis in law brought her over with greasy hair, they aren't too bad. I'll have to shoot her when she's more awake.

She looks pretty dern cute to me. The lighting seems good to me. I am however not in love with the black background. It just seems to dark and looming to me. For such a bright young face it would seem more fitting to have a more natural background.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Yeah, it was 8:00 at night and dark outside, normally i'd shoot outside, I tried a lighter background but it competed with her hair color and washed her out. The model management company wants to make sure her hair stands out because so many companies are looking for red heads for commercials. I'm going to do some more shoots with her, she needs the practice with her posture and smile. She's quite the defiant little girl, true red head for sure! The skin under her eyes are red because she kept rubbing her eyes and making what she thought were funny faces but looked a little wierd. If she wants to model, she needs to learn a little more discipline and better posture!

Member:

. The model management company wants to make sure her hair stands out because so many companies are looking for red heads for commercials.

Is that so? Then I need to get on the phone! Maybe i should have a session with a photog myself.

almo (born defiant redhead)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Apparently true red heads are almost extinct in the modeling world! Do it!

Member:

Unfortunately Redheads/Auburn Haired people loose the colour after they turn a certain age and only retain it in areas that don't get photographed too often, if you know what I mean. Being an Auburn Haired person, can't tell you how many times I was told, "I wish I had your colour Hair", actually got annoying after a time.

gets way old

[QUOTE= Being an Auburn Haired person, can't tell you how many times I was told, "I wish I had your colour Hair", actually got annoying after a time.[/QUOTE]

Man I got one of those the oter day from an aunt that i had not seen in years. "Your hair is soooooo pretty Johnny. How is it that your whole side of the family got such pretty hair!?"

blah
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Red heads run rampant in my family! And it's red heads with blue eyes instead of green, which i'm told is unusual - my hair is actually auburn, naturally. My brother has a bright red beard - when he lets it grow in, he looks like a leprechaun!

Member:

I think it looks cute.

The only thing i'm a bit put off by is the almost red eye she's got going on. But, i'm not sure if that is my monitor or something else.

I always wished I had red hair. My uncle does.

Janie,

Move the flash off to one side and you'll dramatically improve the quality of light. As it stands right now, none of the other lights are apparent, it just looks like flat on-camera flash was used because that drowns out all your other sources.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Nice shot Janie. Put that kid's hair in pigtails and hand her a Mrs. Beasley doll.

Thread Information