ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens

Had to return the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens I've been using since September. Canon actually wanted it back. Can you imagine? Don't they know who I am?

Unfortunately, I'm leaving on a very important photo trip today. So I checked the reviews (and my bank balances) and on Friday I paid $50 for the fastest possible delivery. My new Tokina AT-X Pro DX 12-24mm f/4.0 wide angle lens arrived on time, at about 9 AM this morning. I catch a shuttle to the airport in less than an hour, so I am very relieved. It would have been a serious bummer to go on this trip without a super-wide zoom. And based on the reviews, I'm very excited about this one:

Tokina AT-X Pro DX 12-24mm f/4.0 wide angle lens reviews >>

Not only was it a last minute purchase, but it was backordered at all of my usual dealers. I got it from 17th Street Photo, who I found on the "compare prices" tab of the review page. I hadn't used them before. But not only did they have it in stock, their price was lower, phone service was pleasant and reassuring, and it got here in time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens-_mg_9643.jpg   Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens-_mg_9639.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 Lens

Don't you just love that feeling - getting that package, opening the box - and out comes this awesome new lens!

I've looked at that lens a few times - it's very tempting. However, I'd have to sell my 17-40 which I love, although it's not so wide on the XTi.

Please post some pics........and have a great time.

Liz

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

You are going to love that lens!

I've had it since Christmas & use it all the time
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

I've used Nikon's 12-24 and heard that this one is very similar. I'm sure you'll love it!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Well I guess you won't want my 10-22 then.
    I'm still looking for a good full frame wide angle to replace the 10-22 on all my bodies instead of just using it on the 20D.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I've been looking at that lens and may just make up my mind when I see your review when you get back. I'll hoping for an A+. I have really missed having a good wide. Right now the widest thing I have is the 28-70 and can't really even classify that as a wide on a digital.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Right now the widest thing I have is the 28-70 and can't really even classify that as a wide on a digital.
    Even the 20-35 I had when I first got my DSLR wasn't very wide of course - been happy with the Sigma 10-20 but variable aperture lenses can be a bit of a hassle when shooting in manual mode. It was a hard choice between 12mm constant aperture and 10mm variable, but the 15mm equivalent won out...

Are you eating oatmeal?

I want a wide angle. Unfortunately, I had to replace my 70-200, so that was $1500 that i wasn't anticipating spending.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

That tokina is a fine piece of glass! I often considered getting one after selling off my Nikon 12-24. Be sure to post what it shoots on the trip!

17th st. is great...they've gotten me some stuff a few times that was very rare.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Are you eating oatmeal?
    He's gotta pay for the lens somehow
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

And here I thought I was Tokina man. Congrats John, If I weren't paying for my son's wisdom teeth extraction, I would have one of those miraculously show up in my bag. Great piece of glass. Have fun with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Oatmeal.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Are you eating oatmeal?
    Yep. I love oatmeal. It's tasty and cheap and good for you. I eat it with peanut butter and honey and some ground flax seed. It's delicious and has everything I need to start my day out right. Well, I need some coffee, too
    Photo-John

Great Lens John..Enjoy. I have the same in the Pentax version 12-24...Sharp as a tack even wide open....

Congrats..

Ben

I just recently added one of those to my bag too. So far I am very impressed, it may replace my 17-40 with me back filling a 24 or 28-70 f/2.8L to cover the mid range. I have always wanted a 28-70 and now's my chance.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

So how do you like this lens John? I'm considering picking up a W/A for a trip out west next month, and this and the Canon 10-22mm are my top two choices. Is the the Canon worth the extra $$?

PS: I didn't see this lens listed in the reviews, but maybe I just missed it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Reviews here.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Not sure how the Canon would compare but, here's a good comparison review of the Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Nikon w/a zooms.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: Oatmeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Yep. I love oatmeal. It's tasty and cheap and good for you. I eat it with peanut butter and honey and some ground flax seed. It's delicious and has everything I need to start my day out right. Well, I need some coffee, too
    Never tried it with peanut butter, we like it with pure maple syrup as well. I almost gave my sister in law a heart attack when I told her I've switched from the traditional Quaker to a stone ground organic one. It works better in cookies.

I've been putting ground flax seed in everything. Sometimes they notice, usually they don't.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Well I'm convinced now all I need is 500 bucks!!
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Well I'm convinced now all I need is 500 bucks!!
    Let me know where you find it, cause I need it too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Like It A Lot

So how do you like this lens John? I'm considering picking up a W/A for a trip out west next month, and this and the Canon 10-22mm are my top two choices. Is the the Canon worth the extra $$?

Here's a link to the review page:

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens reviews >>

I like the lens a lot. I'm very pleased with it. I miss the extra two millimeters on the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. Two millimeters makes a big difference with lenses this wide. But I spent $200 less than I would have if I'd bought the Canon. I also like the fixed f/4.0 aperture. The Canon is fast, but not as fast at the long end and variable apertures are just annoying. I think the image quality of the Tokina is as good or better than the Canon. Both are excellent. But I think the Tokina may be a hair sharper. It has no noticeable barrel distortion. So if you want to shoot anything with straight lines, it's no problem. You may have some convergence. But unlike curved walls that you get with a fisheye, these are easy to fix in Photoshop.

I was a little worried about focus, since I think Canon is usually notieably better than third-party manufacturers. But the Tokina's auto focus has performed very, very well. I haven't tried AI Servo. But with a wide angle, you don't really need to. Depth-of-field usually takes care of focus issues withlenses this wide.

So it's a toss up. Save a couple hundred bucks and get the f/4.0 aperture, or et the extra 2mm of coverage. Read the reviews and see what you think. The reviews are excellent and a pretty hard sell for the Tokina. That's why I got it. It's backordered everywhere right now and very hard to track one down. I bought mine from 17th Street in NYC. They were one of the few places I could find it and felt comfortable giving my money to.
    Photo-John

Let me know where you find it, cause I need it too.
    Buy Dig has 'em: Tokina 12-24 Canon Mount. I have had quite a few dealings with them and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Buy Dig has 'em: Tokina 12-24 Canon Mount. I have had quite a few dealings with them and never had a problem.
    Thanks EOS, but that link takes me to a different lens. B&H has the lens in stock according to thier site, I need to know where to find the $$$.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks EOS, but that link takes me to a different lens. B&H has the lens in stock according to thier site, I need to know where to find the $$$.
    Oops my bad, I guess that's what I get for posting while half asleep...Buydig no longer has the 12-24.

Adorama has the 12-24 $499.95 :idea:
    http://www.adorama.com/Catalog.tpl?page=il_refine_search

They also have it for Nikon
    Ken Rockwell has reviews of the Nikon, Tokina, Sigma & Tamoron

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-...comparison.htm
    Last edited by mikeb380; 06-28-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add info & url

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information