ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Moonrise at anchor

Hi chaps - not sure if this works and thought I would add it here first.

Taken at anchor using a flash to light the boats nearby 1/60th at F2.8.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moonrise at anchor-_mg_1861-640.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Moonrise at anchor

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Hi chaps - not sure if this works and thought I would add it here first.

Taken at anchor using a flash to light the boats nearby 1/60th at F2.8.

Roger
    Hello Roger,

Cool concept, I like the moon reflection in the water. Your flashlight lit up the sailboat by the moon's reflection, but the others are barely discernable. A Mag Lite, one of the LED equivalents, or even a spotlight should give you better coverage. Also, you may want to try a longer exposure next time.

I've tried a little of the painting with light technique. It takes some trial and error to get it right. Digital makes it much easier.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Can you set a show shutter sync with the flash, then nail the boat after the appropriately long shutter for the ambient light. It will require a tripod I imagine. Great idea for a shot.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

MJS nailed what I was thinking.That way the moon keeps it's charm.I like the composition. I would like to see this again.

Gent's - thanks for looking and your comments made me laugh out loud. Still chorttling.

I think you may have missed a key bit of information - I'm at anchor on my boat - the reason for the high speed and hand held is that the boat is bobbing up and down and swinging on the anchor. Perhaps I didn't make that clear.

Any slower speed caused blurred motion; 60th was as slow as I could get - tripod would not help. Did try speeds starting at 10th going up in increments until I got to 60th where the blurr finally disappeared. I have the proof of the motion :lol: Tripod was on the boat but it wouldn't help.

Speed - my torch/spotlight 1M candle watts was to bright and too directional to make the effect look right. My other torch (wide angle beam) was broken a few hours earlier when my daughter and friend fell out of the dingy when going ashore in the dark (that was a scream, my wife could hardly breathe from laughing so much.)

Did think of cropping so that just the sailboat was there - do you think that would work better?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

I think you may have missed a key bit of information

"I'm at anchor on my boat - the reason for the high speed and hand held is that the boat is bobbing up and down and swinging on the anchor. Perhaps I didn't make that clear."

Now it's clear as crystal!!! And the 1/60th second makes perfect sense.

"Speed - my torch/spotlight 1M candle watts was to bright and too directional to make the effect look right."

Gotcha! As is, the sailboat looks good.

"Did think of cropping so that just the sailboat was there - do you think that would work better?"

Definitely. Crop it to a vertical and eliminate the others.

Great job under difficult circumstances.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Never mind! At least you are in your boat, mine is on its trailer up for sale.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Never mind! At least you are in your boat, mine is on its trailer up for sale.
    Michael,

I hope its because your trading up

I just got back from two weeks sailing - well a week really - weather was so bad in the first week I booked a catamaran trip across the English Channel (Big think carries cars) and they cancelled because of strong winds. So first week spent sheltering in Weymouth UK.

Speed. - Will crop and repost there were 6 baots at anchor around us. What a life - can't wait to retire.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

I would like to see it cropped with just
    the one boat with the moon and reflection.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Won't be trading up anytime soon unless I hit the lottery. My son goes off to College next year, so I'm starting to reel in some of my financial ducks. Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun, especially since the boat's name is Reel Mess.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Won't be trading up anytime soon unless I hit the lottery. My son goes off to College next year, so I'm starting to reel in some of my financial ducks. Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun, especially since the boat's name is Reel Mess.
    Sorry to hear that - but the kids have to come first. Beccy is about to go to University in September if she gets the grades.

Don't you love boat names - so varied and often very creative.

Mine is called Cân Y Môr - "Song of the Sea" in Welsh.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Here is the cropped version

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moonrise at anchor-_mg_1861-640.jpg  

DSLR
    Digital

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Yes, it's better !
    When printed, can you see the horizon?
    I can't see it on my monitor, but I know where it is from the moon's reflection.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Yes, it's better !
    When printed, can you see the horizon?
    I can't see it on my monitor, but I know where it is from the moon's reflection.
    Paul,

Need to lighten it for printing and possiply for the monitor as well if you can't see the horizon.

Tried a test print last night and it needs some work.

Will update the picture next week - off to the boat this morning.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Thread Information