ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

today I fell in the lake

yup, all the way in. I've gotten wet before, but never actually fallen in. Usually, I'll roll up my pants and go in up to my knees (which is what I was trying to do) but today I went down.

So I was doing some photos for a family in Milwaukee, right on Lake Michigan. The house is on the bluff, then there are stairs and a path down to their portion of the beach. Which is where they wanted to do photos. I'm like, cool, that's going to be fun. What I like to do is photograph them from the sand, with the lake in the back, then also get them from the lake, with the waves coming in. So today I saw this rock and thought, hmmm...I'm going to stand on that. Roll up my pants and walk on out. Waters maybe a foot deep. So I step up on to the rock, not knowing it's covered in slimy stuff. My foot slides and down I go, right on my ass. Camera arm straight up. I think I scared the parents half to death.

Mind you, this is about 15 minutes into our session. Once I stand up, I figure, okay, I'm just going to take a step over...right into a slimey dropoff, down I go again. At that point I'm soaked up to my belly button, what difference does it make if I am in the lake. We finished the session, and hiked back up to the house (which is difficult in wet jeans).

I had planned on going to the store to get some fresh fruit, but figured I'd just come home instead.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: today I fell in the lake

thats,lol, a funny,lol,story and i can visualize,lol, so well, and the camera never once got wet,at least i would of ran out there and helped you up after the first spill,but still sounds like you had a good time thanks for sharing that story,lol.

I bet you never thought all that practice keeping lake water out of your beer would pay off as a professional photographer, huh?

Paul

Adina,

Wonderful - I can't believe the camera stayed dry. Honour is due.

Sorry couldn't stop laughing though. Now you know why real sailors never wear jeans near water.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Lol that is hilarious. Reminds me of a time when I went into a pond. It must have been only about a foot and half worth of water, but I sacrificed my whole body (I was soaked up to my chest!) to save my camera from getting wet..

Dignity-schmigmity, as long as the camera is OK, all is well.

If anyone got pictures of it, be sure to post them.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

LOL, I haven't done that yet, but I'm sure it's somewhere in my future. I did manage to take a nasty fall last week while on vacation. Not into water, but onto a pile or rocks. I saved the gear, but the knee and the elbow were a little sore and scraped up.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

Gives a whole new meaning to the "Lady in the Lake". I can just visualize your hand and arm sticking up with the camera. . . you don't call your camera Excalibur by any chance ?

I hope that the shoot turned out well in spite of the swim.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Wonderful - I can't believe the camera stayed dry. Honour is due.
    Very impressive! I kept thinking the next sentence was going to say that you joined the wet camera club - but then no - and then you fell again - and I thought - but no! Quite a save. Lake Michigan is usually pretty clean, just stay away from the gulls (don't look up ).

Dang, that was a good story. And you managed to keep expletives out of it? The visualizations I just had make this day complete. Thanks for the news coverage. :thumbsup:
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Hmmm am I the only one who doesn't find this funny? That must have hurt when you hit that rock and it could've turned out so bad, not just for your camera gear but also for your health. You could've broken bones or something. I'm so glad you are ok adina.

And please don't think I am being funny when I say this, but, are you going to share some of these shots with us? I'd love to see some from that point of view.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

That's such a great story - and when the family is happy with the photos, what a great word-of-mouth recommendation!

Liz

Well, Adina - your subjects will remember more than their photos when they view them at some later date. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.....hope you're not sore tomorrow.

I was riding my bike and some kid was turning off of a small bridge coming the opposite way at a very rapid pace - her head was turned away from me as she was talking to someone in back of her. I tried yelling at her to turn around,,,,,,,,,too late. The bike path was very narrow going off into a ditch and trying to avoid a head-on collision, I ended up falling, of course. I was flat on the ground beside my bike with my camera-in-hand up in the air. While all this was happening, I managed to take my camera out of it's holder in the basket. Poor kid felt terrible. I felt ok since my camera wasn't hurt.

Liz

Great story!!! I've got a few that are similar but I'll not bore you. Just let it be know that those Canadian steams that look so innocent and shallow can be very deep and treacherous. Thank goodness I was carry a Nikon and you can't even drown one those suckers.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Haven't gotten to the photos yet, they are on my computer, but I've got like 4 sessions in front of that one. Working for a few hours this morning, then taking the girls clothes shopping. School starts in three weeks! Hurray!

Honestly, between kickboxing, wrangling 2 kids and our spaz dog, and my personal lack of coordination, I've taken worse on a regular basis. This was a walk in the park. Worst part was driving home in wet jeans (45 minute drive).

I'll have a few of the photos blogged by the end of the week, along with my adventure. I'll post the link.

Mom and Dad were a little concerned, I think the two kids were oblivious. And I laughed, what else can you do. I felt like a big dork. Called dh on the way home, his first question? "How's the camera?"

great story that I am sure you can laugh about tonight. Good job on the camera save, and for fininishing the session.

Thanks for the sharing...

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I did get an email from the mom, they were worried I hurt myself. I explained that other than severe embarassment, I was fine.

Thread Information