ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Tips?

Tips?

Where can I find some articles or tips on composition and genaral photography guidelines? For example, someone posted in Photo Critique about a 2/3's rule.. More information like that is what I'm after.. thanks!

It's hurricane season... again...
    I haven't ordered it yet, but the book Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography by Bryan Peterson looks like a good choice for us. (I'm a beginner) Good luck!

Hang out on this site 24 hours a day. Follow all the rules given by the seasoned veterans. Yeah right.

Seriously though, try the National Geographic Field Guide. What type of photography are you interested in? I'm sure we can find a resource that's targeted to your interests. There may be a one day seminar held near where home that you can attend as well. The Nikon school seems well liked by those that have attended.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just starting out and I experiment with lots of kinds of subjects. To be honest, I don't really know what kinds of photography there are! Primarily we take family photos, but I really like taking pictures that make you feel something, or just make you think. I've been taking pictures of my old Dodge that's been rotting in the back yard for the last few years. I'll post some of those in Photo Critique sometime this week.
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 04-12-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Spend an afternoon at the bookstore

Give Borders or Barnes and Noble a try. Get yourself a cup of coffee and spend an afternoon browsing the photo mags and books. It will give you a chance to view alot in a short time and you will find things that interest you and then you can narrow it down from there.

I still spend time in bookstores when I am in need of some inspiration.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information