ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thoughts on technology

Technology obviously changes our lives in many ways. For me camera technology changes over the last 20 years or so are the only real reason I still do photography.

Back in the 80s I bought a Minolta SLR and a decent telephoto lens. I shot a few rolls and tried to learn how to do it, but something just did not click with me. The barrier of having to work through film eventually just made me give up. I would never even take cameras on vacations, because I found vacation snapshots dull.

Then in around 2003, because of photoshop, I started getting into photo manipulation and digital painting. So I bought a canon power shot g5 I believe for taking texture pictures when I went on vacation. I shot tons of pictures. There is no question that the immediacy of it made it more satisfying. I still did not produce many finished shots that I liked, and didn't even use all that many of the textures. So the camera still languished a bit, but I did still use it and took it on vacations for more texture shooting.

Just before a trip to Japan in maybe 2005, I learned about HDR and truly loved it. I did a few HDR experiments there and produced some things I really liked from an artistic standpoint, ,and have been shooting more ever since.

But another big step for me was the purchase of this Canon G11. I have been using a digital rebel for some time. It is a good camera, but anyone who has one knows that the interface experience is not joyful. It has a shockingly lame lcd, and I was always annoyed that my wife's little point and shoots had these big bright beautiful lcds. But I really did not realize how empowering a big lcd on a swivel with live view could be. It is brilliant. I don't ever want to be without one again. Even though I keep thinking I should go back to the Rebel and use my better lenses, I don't because the G11 is just such a joy to use.

It occurs to me that wireless flash must be such a transformative thing for people that use flash, but given that it existed at the point I started, I will probably take it for granted.

I sure hope they start rolling out large swivel mount lcds on high end DSLRs. For my next camera the must haves will be full frame, swivel LCD, and live view. Do you think there are barriers to professionals adopting the swivel mount lcds? I guess you could just tether to a netbook or something, but that isn't very portable.

n8

Re: Thoughts on technology

The one thing I really want to see in a next gen dslr is backlit buttons.

Purist speaking

Swivel mount LCD's and using a LCD screen in general is base amateur stuff because holding the camera up against your face contributes to holding it steady. It's may be useful when you've got the camera on a tripod on on the rare occasions when you have to hold it up to get the shot but otherwise nobody is going to adopt it.

I'm only interested in technology as long as it helps me get the image the way I want it. Each new generation of camera makes a leap forward in the taking part and RAW editing software is a fabulous tool to get the image how I want it.

The technology that most bothers me at the moment is Smartphones. I was heavily contaminated by exposure to the iPhone at Christmas (sister's present) and now I can't help noticing all the kids on the train in the morning with their applications and Facebook and stuff. Makes my Wiindows Mobile Smartphone look very lame - which doesn't stop me from doing pictures on it.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I don't have a cell phone at all. Well you are probably right about lcds, but the ergonomics of them when working with a tripod is fantastic. The live view part is more important than the swivel, but I Like not having to bend over to look through a view finder if i don't have to. But I get your point about shooting without a tripod.

Well, the more expensive cameras already have nice LCDs and are starting to do live view, although it sounds as if using it causes the sensor to heat up...

I think that the live view will be slow to work its way up the DSL ladder because most who are good at photography have decades invested at mastering the viewfinder - and they are very good with it. I don't mean this as a negative. It would take these experience photographers more 'decades' to re-learn to shoot with live view. It's just not worth it. Some will find it worth while to learn for certain kinds of shots (maybe shots that simply would have skipped before) and many new shooters (like me) will demand it for many of their shots.

As you alluded to, the first hurdle is getting them to swivel. The Sony type I use only swivels up and down. I probably shoot less than 10% of the portrait format shots that I would if it also went sideways.

Another hurdle is that most implementations of live view use the main sensor and slower contrast focusing. Probably less than 5% have even seen fast focus live view. This will change, though it may be with the convergence of live view and electronic view finders (EVF).

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    I don't have a cell phone at all....
    Back in the dark ages, adolescents and young adults used to spend hours on the telephone in conversation with one another, and drive their families wild because they blocked the house phone and pushed up the phone bill

Then came cell phones. The young folks spent hours on their mobile and ran up huge bills

Then came cell phones with SMS (short messages). The young folks developed a whole language of codes to communicate quickly - but still ran up huge bills

And now as a community they write on one anothers Walls in Facebook from their iPhone, combining text and photos (also done with their iPhone). It doesn't cost anything because the iPhone comes with an unlimited Internet connection (if you've got any sense)

Now that's useful technology.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i think live view is still lacking a lot. I'll only use it in very rare circumstances and even then I don't really enjoy it.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

This is why I love this forum, all the different opinions! I do have a cell, cant figure out the camera worth a damn, which is fine, I bought it as a phone and texting device. I spent to much on a camera to worry about the cell lol
    I love your work daq, I dont have photoshop, I can't figure out lightroom (its not a newer version) so I use my live veiw, from my eyes, and what I learn here. One thing I learned here is you have to start with a good photo to begin with. I adjust color, contrast and sharpen mostly because thats all I have at my disposal lol It get embaressing when asked what editing program I use lol but hey, for now, it works for me, I sell photos, have been published and business is good! So I'm pleased. The good part is I get to see all of your work, and learn what you do and how you do it! I do pay attention!

I have to admit that I use the swivel screen more than I use to. It is just easier on my old back if I don't have to crawl on the ground to get a low shot. But for me I would love to see a camera with an ND grad built into the firmware or something. I know the technology has to be there. Just think not carrying a filter, no HDRs and time saved in post.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I have to admit that I use the swivel screen more than I use to. It is just easier on my old back if I don't have to crawl on the ground to get a low shot. But for me I would love to see a camera with an ND grad built into the firmware or something. I know the technology has to be there. Just think not carrying a filter, no HDRs and time saved in post.
    Actually, most do. Any ISO setting less than the 'native' ISO would be the equivalent of an electronic ND filter. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

The Canon G11 *does* have an ND setting on it in firmware. It is not graduated. Having a graduated one would be quite helpful.

If you need to make adjustments there is still only one kind of camera with will do the job. A view camera. There are digital backs for them beside the standard film backs
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Honestly with my Nikon D5000 I got it because it had the ability to use the live view and also the swivel but i really dont use either. I just turn the screen in (toward the body) to protect it. But i rarely use the live view since i have found that it takes a noticeable amount more of time to use the auto focus with the live view.
    "Go Fast, Turn Left, Repeat"

Interesting that autofocus takes longer with live view. That is certainly an issue, but I rarely take shots where that would matter. Formula 1 racing photos is the only exception, but I dont really have the telephoto equipment needed to make those good anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer 36
    Honestly with my Nikon D5000 I got it because it had the ability to use the live view and also the swivel but i really dont use either. I just turn the screen in (toward the body) to protect it. But i rarely use the live view since i have found that it takes a noticeable amount more of time to use the auto focus with the live view.
    You need Fast Focus LV - i.e. Sony. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Live view is nice, but it's not a deal breaker. The glass is the deal breaker. If the lens sucks the photo sucks, unless it's an artsy photo.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

After years of an aching back and sore/wet/dirty knees, I'm overjoyed I no longer have to always crouch on the ground like a monkey and jam my eye into the viewfinder to get photos. The flip and swivel LCD is a joy. Because I do so much outdoor work, I've usually got the camera on a tripod and so this is a very useful tool for me. I can compose, level and see changes all from a comfortable, upright position. Focus speed is a bit slower than through the VF, but not obstructively so.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Back in the dark ages, adolescents and young adults used to spend hours on the telephone in conversation with one another.
    Telephones? I still write (hand-written or if I'm feeling up to it a typewriter) letters to my friends and mail them. ^_^

The problem I see with a swivel LCD is the fact that it could easily get broken off, especially in some of the places that people take their cameras. I got the chance to play a bit with a Nikon D5000 this weekend while learning how to process my own film in a darkroom, and the thing seemed a little flimsy to me.

Would a swivel LCD help, sure, with live view I can get my camera close to the ground without having to lay down in the filth of some of the places I visit. I could also fix it with a right angle viewfinder attachment.

But that's just my 2 cents on the matter.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information