ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Ten Years

Ten Years

I just noticed the 10 Year banner on the home screen. Congratulations PR not many websites make it to that milestone. I think it is a credit to the members of this forum as they make this a place I like to keep coming back to. Is there a party planned? unfortunately I doubt I would be able to make it, but I think someone should throw it!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Ten Years

Thanks for commenting on the 10 Years logo, Skyman. I had planned to get that logo live a long time ago. But this month is the actual anniversary. So it had to go up. Keep your eyes open for some articles and other stuff related to the annniversary. Just to quickly put things in perspective, when the site was launched I had absolutely no interest in digital cameras and didn't believe they'd be viable photography tools for 5 to 10 years. Show you how much I knew
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

10 Years! WOW!
    You've been here all that time, John? Right?
    Brian
    :thumbsup: to us!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

wow, 10 years that is really impressive. I still remember when I first joined in, that cold December day when I was looking for tips on using my SRT-102.

Congrats on the Decade!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Happy Tenth PR!!!! And thanks PJ for keeping it up and running with integrity. Don't remember just when i started here but somewhere around 2000 or 2001. Members turned me on to the Nikon N80 and I made the plunge. Most everyone was still shooting film at that time and I didn't have a scanner so I lurked and commented on other's pics. Got a Fuji digital in 2002 and started posting pics. My account got lost when PR went to the new look in 04 and I registered again as Old Timer and have been having a ball here ever since. Not another site on the Internet like PR as far as I'm concerned. Glad I found it and have stuck with it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I don't remember exactly when I first found PR, but I remember it was before the site and forums got redone

The feedback I've gotten over the years has been invaluable. And now that I'm working and have this 'income' thing, the reviews have been invaluable to me as I decide what to spend said income on

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    10 Years! WOW!
    You've been here all that time, John? Right?
    Brian
    :thumbsup: to us!
    I've been here all that time and then some. I got hired to put the site together in April of 1999 and in July we launched this ship. She's been cruising along nicely ever since. Sometimes it's been stormy. But we've always managed to float through whatever has been tossed at us. I have to say, I'm pretty proud
    Photo-John

i found pr when i was prego with my B, and she'll be 9 this December. Remember Denis? He gave me my first big "that sucks, try it again". after i was done having my feelings hurt, i got a little better.

ahhh...fond memories...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

trigger happy geriatric.

Anybody feel like doing an article highlighting what was hot and what was not ten years ago?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    Anybody feel like doing an article highlighting what was hot and what was not ten years ago?

Dave
    I'm going to write something about the site and my own perspective. But an article that's a little more objective would be a great addition and I'd love to include it in my anniversary content. You aren't volunteering are you, Dave?
    Photo-John

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been here all that time and then some. I got hired to put the site together in April of 1999 and in July we launched this ship. She's been cruising along nicely ever since. Sometimes it's been stormy. But we've always managed to float through whatever has been tossed at us. I have to say, I'm pretty proud
    That's what I thought!
    Thanks for doing what you do for the site!
    You do it well... :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    He gave me my first big "that sucks, try it again". after i was done having my feelings hurt, i got a little better.

And better and better and better!!!
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

The site has been an inspiration to me for 5 of the last 10 years.

Happy 10th Birthday PR,I'm proud to be a crewmember on this wonderful ship.
    Keep up the great work PJ

Rick

Talking Just to quickly put things in perspective...

...When the site was launched I had absolutely no interest in digital cameras and didn't believe they'd be viable photography tools for 5 to 10 years. Show you how much I knew

You and me both! I think I was the last guy in America to switch to digital - D200, May 2006, which has over 30,000 frames shot with it. This past weekend I went over 10,000 shots on my D300, which I've had since Christmas.

Then again, when I got my N80 for Chistmas 2001 (which I bought after researching it on PR!), I proceeded to average 2 rolls of film a week. I never dreamed I would shoot so much film! Until then, the wife and I shot maybe three or four rolls of film a YEAR through our P&S. My how times have changed...

Congratulations PJ and everyone here who has made PR the great site that it is for the past 10 years. Heres to many more to come!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

trigger happy geriatric.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm going to write something about the site and my own perspective. But an article that's a little more objective would be a great addition and I'd love to include it in my anniversary content. You aren't volunteering are you, Dave?
    I wish I could devote the time to a labour of love like that, but I doubt I could do it justice. When would you need it for?

Dave

Wow, a big congrats goes out to you PJ for all that you have done... :thumbsup:

Also to all the members here that make this a great place to learn and build friendships with.

James

Thread Information