ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Tall Ships Duluth 2010

Normally I stay in the sports topic but not sure if there's another place to put these pics besides 'off topic'

Amid throngs of people I walked a couple miles to a much less crowded area to shoot the 'Tall Ships' with my 70-200 .. I don't own a good lens to get the up close shots so I settled for the shots at 200mm and cropped the ships about 30% I figure. A tiny bit of a dirty sensor (I think) left a dot or two in some of the photos.. hopefully I've fixed that, but I would have liked to do without it.. Anyone on POTN might have seen these

Anyway...

Most were shot AV at ISO 400 and F10.. a bit of a hazy humid day created somewhat ugly reflections for shooting this far but I cleaned them up a bit.

1. A coast guard cutter that is usually used for tours mostly

2. One of the smaller ships

3. Got lucky on this one.. was getting a shot and the cannon was fired so you can barely make out the fireball in the puff of smoke closest to the ship

4. One of the better ones, gotten nice "reviews" on this photo compared to most of them.. personally I wish I'd had more empty room on the right but I'm critiquing myself hard someone said.

5. Some of the many sailboats who went out on the lake to observe, surely most took photos

6. An acquaintance's boat.. one of the guide boats .. he's a big college hockey booster, hence the boat's name 'Hat Trick'

The REST of the shots If I missed a better section to put these, I'll ask they be moved to that section
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Tall Ships Duluth 2010

These are nice shots. Since you aren't asking for critique, they should go in Viewfinder.
    We share photo experiences there.
    I'm asking that it be moved.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nice captures. Too bad the modern boats can't stay out of the way. I've been trying to figure out good places to get shots of them as they near Chicago (but not in Chicago). - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I feel that the farther away from the throngs of onlookers the better.. at least it's a clear view in front of me then rather than shooting over people's heads
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Thread Information