ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Taking pictures of people...

I am a novice photographer using a point and shoot (Nikon 885 or 8400) and would like to take pictures of people while I am out looking for good pictures. However, am reluctant to do that since some people may object. Should I just go ahead and snap pictures of anyone I would like to, or are there any "rules of the game", e.g., ask first? If so what's a good way of doing that.

Thanks...

Re: Taking pictures of people...

Generally, it's a comfort level thing assuming the photos are for your own non-commercial use. I assume you're talking about street photography, such as the style of Henri Cartier Bresson and many others. If someone obviously doesn't want their picture taken, then I wouldn't do it - for example someone gives you a nasty look or turns away when you lift the camera. Those are obvious signs... If you're on private property and are told not to use a camera, then I wouldn't here either. There are people who would, but like I said it's a comfort level.

If you want to sell these pictures then there may be some legal issues involved depending on the specific situation.

If they flip ya the bird, its probably a good idea not to do it. Unless of course, you want those kinds of pictures.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

That's pretty much what I thought...

Thank you for your help

Street photography is an art in itself. The best approach is to shoot in an area where a lot of tourists use cameras. Be unobtrusive. Look like you belong there. Wear dark clothing to hide a black camera for example. Use telephoto and shoot from shade on a sunny day.
    Use a small camera from a high or off angle view point. Use a tilting LCD screen to shoot from the waist or an angle. Travel light with only the camera and lens that you are using.
    Wear a hat or light sunglasses which slightly obscure your eyes.

It is pretty hard to object to having your picture taken, when you can't be sure whether your picture was taken or not, and no one wants to appear foolish or seem egocentric.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Wear dark clothing to hide a black camera for example.
    Wear a hat or light sunglasses which slightly obscure your eyes.

Ronnoco
    Yeah, and a trenchcoat, and hang out around school yards.

I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Yeah, and a trenchcoat, and hang out around school yards.

Hey, adina, no former teacher would go within miles of a school yard. Far too dangerous, even for teachers on staff.

Ronnoco

When I was in photography class, I used to go to the boardwalk where they had a lot of halfway houses. I photographed quite a few characters down there - they loved the attention. There was guy every week who walked his snake, another guy who used to sit on a porch with a mannequin... lots of old people and lots of scary people. I used to just walk up to them and yell CHEESE! lol But, these types didn't seem to find it wierd. lol
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    When I was in photography class, I used to go to the boardwalk where they had a lot of halfway houses. I photographed quite a few characters down there - they loved the attention. There was guy every week who walked his snake, another guy who used to sit on a porch with a mannequin... lots of old people and lots of scary people. I used to just walk up to them and yell CHEESE! lol But, these types didn't seem to find it wierd. lol
    Yes, whatever works. I got down on the floor with a kindergarten class in a school. They ignored me and I got some absolutely great shots that ended up in a large city newspaper.

Ronnoco

Thread Information