ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Super Zoom Sharpness

There are lots of problems with this photo but sharpness is definitely not one of them.

Ronnoco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Zoom Sharpness-erinwindow2.jpg  

Re: Super Zoom Sharpness

Are you referring to the rose?! Cause if your not I'm lost Love the funky colored rose though.

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Are you referring to the rose?! Cause if your not I'm lost Love the funky colored rose though.
    You are demonstrating the warped sense of humour of my son. He wears glasses too.

Ronnoco

There is quite a lot that can be done to this image using the shadows/highlights adjustment tool in Photoshop. You can bring the left shoulder and dress edges out more, the contrast and brightness can be adjusted and the skin can be smoothed quite easily as well. I would post an edit, but with the recent discussion (and shirtyness that was displayed) about people editing images, I'm not posting those anymore here.

Pity as I enjoy changing images and learn every time I do using Photoshop.

The lens might be sharp, but this image isn't. Use Unsharpen/Mask at 100/5/1 settings and see just the difference that that makes to the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    There is quite a lot that can be done to this image using the shadows/highlights adjustment tool in Photoshop. You can bring the left shoulder and dress edges out more, the contrast and brightness can be adjusted and the skin can be smoothed quite easily as well. I would post an edit, but with the recent discussion (and shirtyness that was displayed) about people editing images, I'm not posting those anymore here.

The lens might be sharp, but this image isn't. Use Unsharpen/Mask at 100/5/1 settings and see just the difference that that makes to the image.
    Peter, you are more than welcome to edit my images anytime. As far as image sharpness, I may have used too much compression to get down to the right size for uploading to this site. It was originally about 16 to 20 meg. Do you have any suggestions for getting down to the size for this site, without destroying sharpness?
    You are right about the skin too. I recognized that as well. Colour is also a bit off, but I am not quite sure in which direction yet. There was a moiré "pattern" as well in the drapes which needed softening as well. The white brightness is also something I wonder about too.

Ronnoco

Keep in mind that I'm no expert and the file was very low info to begin with, but this is along the lines as I would think the image looked. The rose needs some work but I was looking more at the main image, not the rose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Zoom Sharpness-erinwindow2a.jpg  

Peter, great touchup. The colors help the shot alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS

Ah, "shirtyness." That's a new word for me. I'm gonna use that (with your permission, of course.) By the way, feel free to edit anything of mine you care to.

Go right ahead Lava Lamp, it is a commonly used word in the Southern Hemisphere. Thanks for letting me know about editing images. Just the recent post from someone that got quite offended that someone edited their picture without permission, to me in these forums was over the top. Something that as a long term member of these forums I was quite sorry to see, as we have been a fairly open friendly sort of place and to me, editing to show hopefully improvement etc is a good thing.

Certainly the use of images on other websites that don't belong to them is a huge No No, but I think the majority of us old timers here already are quite aware of that.

I certainly wouldn't be editing any of the Arts forums posts as they are way ahead of me photographically and artistically as well.

As I said, I enjoy taking photos and playing around learning and hopefully showing the possibilities of improvements to images. It is a constant learning curve and I lean more and more as time goes on.

And Lava I already knew you wouldn't mind anyway.

Absolutely beautiful job, Peter. Thank you very much for your time and effort. It really demonstrates what needed to be done.

Ronnoco

Ronnoco, I use save for web in photoshop to save then use the tab on the second tab to change the size to fit here within the limits and make sure it is under 195k, and then post it up here in the forums.

Thread Information