ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stunning Nikon

Stunning Nikon

http://www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown/

Nikon gave 200 D40's to the people of Georgetown, South Carolina. The story is that once they handed these people the cameras, they started taking the best pictures of their lives.

Apparently, it is the camera. I will be selling my Canon stuff and picking up a few of these.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Stunning Nikon

Now my secret is out. I guess I'll have to apologize to all those that have complemented me in the past few years. Drat!!! I knew I would be found out some day. It is the camera after all !!!
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Guess I won't be buying another D2h or a D2x when I can. I can just pick up a couple D50s and have money to spare!
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

And here I was thinking that, just maybe, some of my better images owed at least a little to experience, perseverence and vision. I am chastened

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Does this go for Canon too? I sure hope so, because I have thousands and thousands of BAD photos I would love to blame on my camera!!! After all, if the camera is going to get credit for the good ones, they have to take credit for the bad ones too!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

They've been playing those commercials on TV too. Shame on Nikon for perpetuating such a myth. Of course...it is that myth that has driven the prices down on all the cameras we use. I guess it's not such a bad thing.

Paul

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wish they'd hand out free cameras here.
    I did see the tv ad and was rather miffed about it and I do use a Nikon.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I'm not sure what to think about that ad. Obviously we all know the gear only gets you so far, but trying to catch a cheerleader in mid-air with a camera that has a lot of shutter lag is going to be a bit difficult - their point with that shot. I think their point might be that DSLR's aren't big scary cameras only for professionals, and there are a lot of reasons you might want to consider one over the cute and shiny pocket sized camera that's not much less expensive. But "stunning Nikon"? Where did they come up with a name like that?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Guess I won't be buying another D2h or a D2x when I can. I can just pick up a couple D50s and have money to spare!
    I'll gladly trade you my D50 for your D2x.
    My Facebook Photography Page (Web-substitute) ~ Nikon D7000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Vivitar 28-85mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro ~

I think that a good camera is going to get better photos, regarding shutter lag, noise, file size, that sort of thing. But I think the commercial (which is where I saw this) does make it look like you can get your Nikon and produce National Geographic photos. However, what better way to get people out shooting than to give them cameras. How fun for this town.

that said, I'm off to check b&h for the D40...

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I think that a good camera is going to get better photos, regarding shutter lag, noise, file size, that sort of thing. But I think the commercial (which is where I saw this) does make it look like you can get your Nikon and produce National Geographic photos. However, what better way to get people out shooting than to give them cameras. How fun for this town.

that said, I'm off to check b&h for the D40...
    Adina - just wondering -is your Mom still using her 300D?

Liz

Canon are running a similar advert in the UK, showing people having fun with their cameras and coming up with NG style pics, but their not giving away free camera's or they didn't reply to my request for one.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Talking I will be selling my Canon stuff ...

Adina, you are a hoot!!!

Actually, Nikon used the whole "Stunning" thing with the D80 ads. They just didn't run television ads with it and they didn't give away 200 of them either (not that I'm aware of).

When my kids saw the ad, they started up with the "I wish they gave me a camera!" bit.

Yes it's a stretch (to put it mildly) that the D40 is going to give you Nat Geo quality photo's - and all you have to do is press the shutter release. Yes, WE (experienced, intelligent, card carrying PR members) know it's the photographer and not the gear that captures great photo's.

BUT, it is good marketing if you want to sell cameras. And maybe, just maybe, it will help inspire folks to go out and take photo's of things they enjoy. And that's never a bad thing.

Who knows, we may see an increase in membership here at PR as a result of this. Watch the help forum for questions like "My D40 doesn't take photo's like they showed on the TV ads. What's wrong with my camera?" Then we can gently instruct them how to become photographers and not just button pushers.
    Last edited by Speed; 05-23-2007 at 06:46 AM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dwaugh
    I'll gladly trade you my D50 for your D2x.
    Well I can't quite afford a D2x yet
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I wonder how many new "Pro" photographers there are in Georgetown now.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hey Liz!

Yes, she is. She's got it set up on a tripod in the window facing the lake. They have like an 8'x10' window on one side of the house, gorgeous view of Lake Michigan, which is about 20 feet from the house.

Here's two that she's emailed recently...I was trying to convince her to learn some PS, but she is sticking with Microsoft Picture It for now, as it's much easier.

Liz

Adina,

The 300D is a great camera and I'm so glad to hear she is still enjoying it. Those photos are really nice. I love the 2nd one especially. Great composition. It sounds like she knows what she's doing - setting up the tripod near the window with such a beautiful view. I can relate to trying to get the best I can out of the camera. I do very little post processing myself as I get enough of the computer at work, etc.

Tell your Mom her pictures are beautiful, and thanks for sharing them.

Liz

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I think their point might be that DSLR's aren't big scary cameras only for professionals...
    Well, I'm doing all I can to make people keep thinkng this. Looks like Toto may be getting ready to pull back the curtain, though...

BTW, what Nikon's doing is my worst nightmare, heh heh. There are already too many folks think they can shoot pro work as it is. But giving away free cameras to the hoi polloi?!?

Oy vay! :cryin:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Oy vay!

"BTW, what Nikon's doing is my worst nightmare, heh heh. There are already too many folks think they can shoot pro work as it is."

I read something to that effect recently in one of my photography books. This particular pro lamented how folks would come up to him, show him some horrid snapshots, and ask him if they should go pro. Hehehe.

On the other hand, I don't think you'll have to worry about job security because Nikon gave away 200 D40's.

On the other hand, if you lived in Georgetown, SC...

:-O
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

OK I looked through the site.

Out of the 200 people who were given cameras, a large number didn't get their photos on the wall today. I assume it is dynamic and different photos appear on the wall at intervals.

Of the photos on the 7 walls today, the outstanding ones that really caught my eye were by an Illustrator and a woman photographed with a painting - I guess she's an artist.

Lots of them are not sharp, despite the comments saying they are, so I guess they loas a lot in the JPEG comversion ... or the comments are from Nikon marketing.

As far as I can see, it's the people that made the best pictures.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i cant help but feel the comments are just faked. I didn't see any negative ones, only positive things, and I would have things other than compliments to say about at least a few of those photos. Some of them are good, but they really are just daily events. It's basically the same as saying "DSLRs are better than P&S's" because most of the things are just images you would normally capture with a point and shoot, and shooting it with a DSLR just makes it look nicer. I think everyone here already knows that, they're just trying to market them as "stunning" photos.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I wonder how many new "Pro" photographers there are in Georgetown now.
    Very true - along the lines of what Steve said too.

Let me get this straight - with Nikon, you're not guaranteed National Geographic quality shots, but with Canon you are guaranteed excellent sports (esp. football) shots from a Rebel?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Let me get this straight - with Nikon, you're not guaranteed National Geographic quality shots, but with Canon you are guaranteed excellent sports (esp. football) shots from a Rebel?
    Yes!

But seeing as there is only high school football where I live, I'm much better off with Nikon!

Stunning Nikon

I found the site for the D80 campaign that Nikon did. They gave 16 people D80's and ran their first "Stunning Nikon" campaign.

http://www.nikonstunninggallery.com/
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Re: the comments - I don't think they're necessarily fake, but they're definitely weeding beyond just looking for inappropriate comments. Why post negative comments about "stunning" photos when you're trying to sell magical cameras?

When you add a comment you get a reply of "Your message will be reviewed for posting (which I would expect - don't want anything foul), so come back in a few days to see if it was selected." It's the "selected" that made me laugh - "We didn't NOT post your comment because it was negative - it just wasn't selected!"

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information