ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Stories behind the image

I recently posted 4 image over in critique forum ("on the beach") and was interested in the comments on the stories (not conveyed very well was the consensis) by my images.

I would love it if people here could post images they feel convey a "story" or very strong emotive message - not restricted to love and hate etc but can be the feeling of motion, speed or height etc.

Please comment freely on my image..... What does it convey to you???????

LET THE RIDE BEGIN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-flying-high.jpg  
    Focus on the positive!

Yours reminds me of a play I was in, called "Ferris Wheel".

I think the boy is just thrilled to be there with the girl, and that you're getting a picture of them, and maybe he's having fun scaring the girl. The girl doesn't look as thrilled to be there, or that you're taking the picture, or that the boy is next to her, but she's cool with it anyway.

Here's mine, it's rather obvious: ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-favre.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Hey Kelly - the man is certainly involved in the game.

Oh, the joy of a touch down..........or is he shouting abuse at the umpires???? Looks like his wife may not be as enthusiastic and asking him to take his seet??????

I like the angle and hieght of your image....nice perspective of the field.

Thanks for sharing
    Focus on the positive!

Hello Irish ... your image does convey joy. Your crop and shutter speed, however, do not give me the feeling of height or motion. Still, a cute image.

Kelly, yours conveys that this fan, the most demonstrative of the surrounding crowd, might be premature in his TD gesture, possibly due to the influence of that beverage that is perilously leaning towards the other fan's head. :-)

Andy,

I with Charles here. It does definitely convey that they are having fun, and they are on a ferris wheel. That image tells more than any of the ones you posted in critique.

Now I know it may seem like I'm being hard on you, but I'm just using the same standards that I use on myself. Below are a few of my images that I feel are not telling enough. What do you think of them? Do they convey something? Do they tell a story?

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Hello Irish ... your image does convey joy. Your crop and shutter speed, however, do not give me the feeling of height or motion. :-)
    Hello Charles thanks for your input

The young couple (not known to me I was some 20 - 30 feet away - thank goodness for zoom lenses) had just boarded the ride.....no motion, the ride has not yet started. I think he is being very philosophical to the young lady about his bravery etc.

The following photos are 1 - at one swing of the pendalum & 2 - what the ride is really all about. I should have stayed for their desmount from the ride but was in a hurry to another venue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-flying-high-.jpg   Stories behind the image-show-034.jpg  
    Focus on the positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Andy,

I with Charles here. It does definitely convey that they are having fun, and they are on a ferris wheel. That image tells more than any of the ones you posted in critique.Now I know it may seem like I'm being hard on you, but I'm just using the same standards that I use on myself.
    Fair comment....I have to agree. I can take the "hard" line if I understand what is being said and can see a way of applying it in the images I take in the future........no problem with your standards of critique from me Seb.

Below are a few of my images that I feel are not telling enough. What do you think of them? Do they convey something? Do they tell a story?
    This is what I learn best from - practicle examples. I think image #1 & #4 tell a story or emotion that I can relate to. The other less so, requiring much more input from me as a viewer.

What do I see in these images?

#1 - I think this image portrays joy, relief and addulation at graduation time. Having only a little exposure to the US education system, I imagine this to be a common tale in many images.

#2 - Disabled person being coached in rifle shooting??? I am not moved by this image at all. I would have prefered to see the faces of the two men showing their interaction or conveying concentration, determination or joy etc, and I also want to see what it is he is shooting at.

#3 - Young men in their "victory shout" at the end of a huddle. Less emotive than image #1. The image is cropped too close and may have more impact if I could see what sport thay were playing or some part of the arena or crowd etc.

#4 - An image I can relate to very well, having just been to the local show and observed similar. I think this successfully conveys a story. We have an inquisitive young child in control of a fast moving model train with the "hovering" parent wanting to reach in and take control (been there done that) but at the same time hesitating, letting the child learn.

#5 is a man giving a speech. Not much more info than that. I presume from the row of flags it could be 4 July and he is giving a patriotic address to a group but I want to know who, what and were. This image does not convey enough.

Seb, why are these images not sucessful in your opinion??? What were you trying to convey??? How would you improve them if you shot them again???

Thanks for sharing and for your input
    Andy S
    Last edited by Irish; 09-06-2004 at 07:44 PM.
    Focus on the positive!

Andy,

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0206/sam02.htm

Check out that link. Great image, but the thinking behind it is facsinating.

I wil respond to your post when I have some more time.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sebastian, I agree completely with what Irish said and don't have much to add.

#1 is most powerful to me, it's a bit flat, and I think the guys in the background who are not sharing the same experience are distracting. Otherwise I think this tells a great story of relief and joy and expectation.

Image two tells me what you saw. A guy is shooting. It tells me what's happening this moment, but it's not telling me anything about what just happened or what is about to happen.

Image three has great shape and color, but without more visible emotion (a face displaying hope or excitement?) its story is a bit weaker.

Image four tells a great story of a little girl operating a model train with hesitation and a bit of unsuredness. Will she continue to run it or will she chicken out and take her hand away? Will the mom take over? Will she get to continue her experience to her satisfaction? I like this image a lot.

Image five: So, you went to a speech, huh? That's nice.

Image five needs a story told on top of it, with either text or audible words. It does not tell the story itself.

Oops, I guess I did have much to add.

Here's another one I took last weekend, and keep stopping at, not knowing quite what to do with it. I like it, I really like it, but I wasn't sure why. It's not beautiful or anything, it's dark, it's just cars. But I think it tells a story. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-accident.jpg  

Andy,

I wil respond to your post when I have some more time.
    Thanks for the link - will read when I have some time over the coming weekend.

I look forward to your comments on your images

Thanks again
    Andy S
    Focus on the positive!

Andy,

Overall I think these could be better. Some are decent at telling a story, but some are not. Let me elaborate.

What do I see in these images?

#1 - I think this image portrays joy, relief and addulation at graduation time. Having only a little exposure to the US education system, I imagine this to be a common tale in many images.

This is one of the stronger ones IMO. There are still missing elements though. What school was this, for example? Most of the time circumstances make it so the image can not convey everything all at once. Doesn't stop me from striving for that though. In this situation, that was simply the best shot of what happened at that event.

This shot, in these curcumstaces might not be improved on. A different shot showing a grad celebrating with his parents next to a school banner might have been more effective.

#2 - Disabled person being coached in rifle shooting??? I am not moved by this image at all. I would have prefered to see the faces of the two men showing their interaction or conveying concentration, determination or joy etc, and I also want to see what it is he is shooting at.

This image is a great example of the circumstancial limits we face when taking images. This was an annual shooting competition for disabled persons. The faces are not too relevent as they were just stoic expressions of concentration. Also, due to safety concerns I could not stand further than next to the contenders during live fire. Posing a shot for journalistic work is not permissable under any circumstances, unless I never want to work around here again, so getting in front of them and asking to look like they're shooting was not an option. The surroundings show nothing of the event, and the uniformed individuals (in the vest) also convey no useful info on what is going on. On it's own, a poor shot, but a decent illustration for the article, and the cutline provided pertinent info on this aprticular shot.

#3 - Young men in their "victory shout" at the end of a huddle. Less emotive than image #1. The image is cropped too close and may have more impact if I could see what sport thay were playing or some part of the arena or crowd etc.

This image tells something, but it's not too appealing on its own. The baseball diamond is pretty clear, so the type of sport can be recognized. But where it fails is in emotional appeal. Are they celebrating? Are they getting ready for the game? It's not clear. In actuality, this was one of a series of shots used for an article about the team. They were having a really bad streak, and the night before this game their coach's car was stolen containing all their gear. They played the game with borrowed and donated gear. In the end, they gave up a comfortable lead to lose badly. This was the very end, when the coach dedicated the game ball to the entire team for doing their best under such circumstances. Once again, the shot says very little on its own.

How could it be improved? I don't think it could have, at least not yet. A story such as this was difficult for me to capture in a series, and even then it didn't do much more than illustrate the article.

#4 - An image I can relate to very well, having just been to the local show and observed similar. I think this successfully conveys a story. We have an inquisitive young child in control of a fast moving model train with the "hovering" parent wanting to reach in and take control (been there done that) but at the same time hesitating, letting the child learn.

I think out of all I posted here, this and the graduaton shot are the most effective. Almost all the elements are here. There is action between the child and parent, the child is looking at the train and operating a control that says the child is interacting with said train. You see the train, and you see a finish line, all pieces that come together and give usa pretty clear idea of what is going on. There are still missing pieces. Where ewas this, for example? But overall a pretty telling image.

#5 is a man giving a speech. Not much more info than that. I presume from the row of flags it could be 4 July and he is giving a patriotic address to a group but I want to know who, what and were. This image does not convey enough.

Exactly, it says very little. This is actually Dennis Hastert, the Speaker of the House, the third highest position in the US government, giving a speach at a fundraiser near his hometown. Once again, without accompanying article and cutline, the image says very little, but it made an interesting illustration for the article.

Seb, why are these images not sucessful in your opinion??? What were you trying to convey??? How would you improve them if you shot them again???

I hopefully answered some of those questions above.

Keep in mind that I myself am just beginning in all of this, and those things above are what goes through my mind when I look at images, mine or anyone else's, whenever they say they are trying to tell a story. You have to provide enough info for the viewer to know a good enough chunk of the activities, without overloading them with useless info. It's as much about choosing what to exclude as it is about what to include. The girl with the train for example, I cut out theparent and the instructor next to them because it was too much, and it wasn't necessary. Instead I focused on the child and her itneraction with the activity. You can still see that the person behind the girl is a parent or guardian, it is clear by the body language and ethinicity. So I got closer and aimed for a simpler composition. Your shot of the sandcastle with the big building in the BG, if you simply had the opportunity to get real close and get the person building the castle in the foreground with the real building in the bg, that would have improved it I think. That was a case of too little in the frame. On the other end, with the crab shot, you focused on a detail and excluded too much other important info, in my opinion.

Alright, enough rambling. Thank you for continuing this, such discussions help me put thoughts and feeling into words, it helps me figure out why I do the things I do. I hope you are getting something out of it as well.
    -Seb

My website

Kelly,

Thanks for the input. Read through my responses to Andy regarding the shots.

As for yor photo, there are a few things that make it ambiguous. For one, whatever was going on wasn't too serious to you since the ambulance/firetrucks are out of focus and far back in the frame. Your framing puts less emphasis on whatever was happening. And although we can see the emergency lights, we can not make out anything that is going on. So overall, to me, this image says "something happened," but not much more than that.
    -Seb

My website

such discussions help me put thoughts and feeling into words, it helps me figure out why I do the things I do. I hope you are getting something out of it as well.
    Sebastian, they help me tremendously! I really had a "wow" moment when I had to think deeply and write about why or why not it tells a story. I think it was a turning point of sorts for me.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Woo Hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    Hello Charles thanks for your input

The young couple (not known to me I was some 20 - 30 feet away - thank goodness for zoom lenses) had just boarded the ride.....no motion, the ride has not yet started. I think he is being very philosophical to the young lady about his bravery etc.

The following photos are 1 - at one swing of the pendalum & 2 - what the ride is really all about. I should have stayed for their desmount from the ride but was in a hurry to another venue.
    Ahhhhhh I believe that ride is whats known (in Texas) as the Kamikaze. Lots of fun.

Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

This image is a great example of the circumstancial limits we face when taking images.
    I do understand how this works, having been in this situation myself. Quite often, matter of fact - whether shooting just for me or not. But - I have to tell you that this is one of my pet peeves. Nothing is ever perfect or completely under your control. Maybe, if you're shooting inanimate objects in a studio... I've seen a lot of people ask for critiques (not just here), and when someone has something to say they talk about how hard it was to get the shot that they have. If you don't want to hear what's wrong with it, don't ask for a critique.

Hope you realize that I do think a lot of your skills and creativity as a photographer, I'm not trying to lash out or anything! But your first image is a strong one. Captures a lot of emotion. Sure, if it was on the football field with a scoreboard in the back that had the school's name on it - or a rainbow magically appeared, Bald Eagle flew through, etc - but those things aren't always (or often) there. You did a good job within the limitations you had. Limitations can include equipment (not usually, other than you could use a wider wide angle, etc), access (wouldn't it be great to be on top of that building or 30' of scaffolding or the middle of that lake?) or maybe something else just isn't happening.

If you're looking for visual impact, maybe you're closer than you think with these. Some are better with this than others, and every time you press the button you don't get one for the portfolio. But telling a story doesn't always mean the image will have the most impact. Sam Abell is probably an exception here! Any thoughts?

Alright, enough rambling. Thank you for continuing this, such discussions help me put thoughts and feeling into words, it helps me figure out why I do the things I do. I hope you are getting something out of it as well.
    That is why I posted this thread......I enjoy the discussion and need serious input from others to uderstand these elements of photography.......I'm getting heaps out of this and enjoying it at the same time

Andy S
    Focus on the positive!

OK, here's one of mine. This was from Michigan's UP late last fall, and the serenity of the place was pretty amazing. I was kind of in-between seasons, a little late for fall color and soon the snow would start and bring lots of people. The whole Keewanaw Peninsula, which is the norhern-most part of the UP, was almost deserted. I went with a friend who has been there many times, and schedules didn't allow us to get there a couple weeks earlier for the best fall color - so you just have to look a little harder !

This is one of the few times I've seen something driving down the road and had it work out how I had hoped. Details are a little hard to see in a split second at 60mph... So we pulled over and took a few shots. I took a few before this and a few after, but this is the only exposure of this composition. You're looking at the top of a tree, and the background is a glass-calm lake. The trees are reflected from the far shorline, that's why they're upside down. I'm about 150' above the lake and aimed down to get this.

Don't think I've posted this one here before, but I liked it well enough to print a 16x24 for myself! Different than the other shots posted here, but hopefully along the lines of your intent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-keewanawtree.jpg  

anotherview, I have to say I like this shot a LOT, but by itself it doesn't tell a story except that a tree grew in front of a lake that has trees on its far shore. Or maybe it's a shot I'd have to sit and figure out and wonder about, if you had just presented it to us with no explanation. You needed to tell us about it for us to understand.

What I'm saying is that I don't think this shot holds up to the criteria of this particular thread. I love the shot and wish it had a thread of its own. Why don't you post it in critique by itself? It has a lot of visual impact.

I think a great example of a "story" shot is tuna's current one with the disabled racer. All he has to say is "here is the shot" and we look at it and a story fills our mind, full of events of what happened before and what's going to happen next. It's hard for a landscape shot to tell a story, I think. At least, that's what I've found.

Feel free to disagree with me and explain why. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept.

Another View,

See, this is really, really tough for me. How would you say can you communicate the feeling of a certain place through the image? This shot is calm, it is serene, but I doubt I feel it the same way you do.

You do many more landscapes than I, what do you think is a good way to get across the feeling of the place? This is still storytelling, but it is so different, I have no idea...
    -Seb

My website

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Very Nice shot...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    OK, here's one of mine. This was from Michigan's UP late last fall, and the serenity of the place was pretty amazing. I was kind of in-between seasons, a little late for fall color and soon the snow would start and bring lots of people. The whole Keewanaw Peninsula, which is the norhern-most part of the UP, was almost deserted. I went with a friend who has been there many times, and schedules didn't allow us to get there a couple weeks earlier for the best fall color - so you just have to look a little harder !

This is one of the few times I've seen something driving down the road and had it work out how I had hoped. Details are a little hard to see in a split second at 60mph... So we pulled over and took a few shots. I took a few before this and a few after, but this is the only exposure of this composition. You're looking at the top of a tree, and the background is a glass-calm lake. The trees are reflected from the far shorline, that's why they're upside down. I'm about 150' above the lake and aimed down to get this.

Don't think I've posted this one here before, but I liked it well enough to print a 16x24 for myself! Different than the other shots posted here, but hopefully along the lines of your intent.

I agree with Kelly, you should start your own thread with this photo, i think its awesome. When Can i expect my own print in the mail?? Lol. I actually looked at the photo before reading your words, and it kept me tuned in to it, wondering how you got that shot... Thought maybe the print was turned.. I likes it!
    Rachel
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Great link. Really made me think about how I see an wider image and scene - his idea of "layering" - seems logical but maybe not so easy to impliment.

Thanks for following through with your thoughts on your images......helps heaps.

I have another couple of images if you care to comment???????

Any advice to reduce the impact of the flare would be appreciated....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stories behind the image-dance.jpg   Stories behind the image-frog.jpg  
    Focus on the positive!

Quote Originally Posted by another view

Another View

At first view I thought this was an image of a forest fire.......had to look again to realise what I was seeing....

Superb, emotive image.....love it.........but I don't think it gives enough info to tell a story in the same context that we are dicussing here.........need your naration to do that I think.
    Focus on the positive!

Thread Information