ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Steam Train and Sony DSLR

I picked up the new Sony Alpha digital SLR on Friday. Yesterday, some of the family and I went out near Santa Cruz to ride a steam train in the redwoods. My 2 1/2 year-old nephew loves trains so this was a big deal for all of us.

This was also a good test for this camera, since the light was absolutely horrendous. These photos are in no way untouched. They've been heavily edited to get the most out of them. But considering the mixed and spotty light, I'm very happy. And they do represent the potential of the files from the camera. Most of them were shot in Shutter Priority mode. That was a stretch for me, since I usually shoot in manual exposure mode. but this was a good situation to let go and see how the camera's auto exposure metering works. I think it works pretty well. And the sensor-level Super Steady Shot image stabilization works great!

For more samples from the camera, visit my post on the Sony Forum:
    Sony Alpha A100 Samples >>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00447.jpg   Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00307.jpg   Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00311.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Steam Train and Sony DSLR

The first photo here is the nephew, mom, and aunt; riding on the train, and digesting all the information the conductor/guide is sharing with us. I wonder how much he retains? More than any of us would expect, I'm sure. He knows a lot about trains!

The next photo is the guide, talking about the old growth redwoods that the train goes through. This was at Roaring Camp and Big Trees, right next to Henry Cowell State Park. None of the redwoods here or in Henry Cowell have ever been logged. I don't think the poison oak has ever been trimmed, either.

The last photo is the nephew and his grandfather (Photo Dad), checking out the train.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00349.jpg   Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00364.jpg   Steam Train and Sony DSLR-dsc00440.jpg  
    Photo-John

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I love that place!

And I love trains as well I'm currently working on a tabletop Z scale railroad in my living room.

So how long do you get to keep these cameras you are reviewing? I've always wondered that about cameras and also the bikes that Francios is always testing.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    So how long do you get to keep these cameras you are reviewing? I've always wondered that about cameras and also the bikes that Francios is always testing.
    I'm important! What did you think?

Usually I get test cameras from the manufacturer. But since Sony is usually very slow to deliver, and I think this camera is a big deal, I went out and bought it on Friday.

I actually thought about you while we were at Roaring Camp. I remembered that train you're building in the coffee table. If you haven't been to Roaring Camp, you should go. It just happens to be very near some great trails in Santa Cruz. So if you plan it right and take your bike, you can kill two birds with one stone.
    Photo-John

PJ,

Make sure you mess with the camera's Dynamic Range Optimization modes.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm important! What did you think?

Usually I get test cameras from the manufacturer. But since Sony is usually very slow to deliver, and I think this camera is a big deal, I went out and bought it on Friday.

I actually thought about you while we were at Roaring Camp. I remembered that train you're building in the coffee table. If you haven't been to Roaring Camp, you should go. It just happens to be very near some great trails in Santa Cruz. So if you plan it right and take your bike, you can kill two birds with one stone.

I grew up watching the civil war re-enactmentments up there as well as riding the train. My Dads whole side of the family is into them. Between my Uncle, Dad, and my 3 cousins and me, we have 2 HO layouts (mine is in boxes) One Z scale, One soon to be started outdoor G scale, and one indoor G scale layout

I've been riding in Cowell when I took my Scout troop camping up there. I still haven't been to Pogonip or any of the trails in that area. Yet
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Dynamic Range Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    PJ,

Make sure you mess with the camera's Dynamic Range Optimization modes.
    Yeah. Thanks for reminding me. I am pretty sure the default is on. So I need to turn it off. I also need to switch from sRGB to RGB. The menus are different from what I'm used to. I guess I could actually RTFM.
    Photo-John

The one - The only

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    None of the redwoods here or in Henry Cowell have ever been logged. I don't think the poison oak has ever been trimmed, either.

For some reason, John, I don't think you know this from having hiked the trails. I think maybe you got "lost" on what appeared to be a "good" trail from Hwy 9 or UCSC maybe? HEHEHE. I heard nip is in primo condition and sounds like this camera may be good for something like that too.

Sis the mosquitos on the train get you?

--Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Thread Information