ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Springtime in Stockbridge

First XT pics....certainly elementary snapshots. My week in MA was shortened to two days. These were my first try-out-the-camera pics - straight out of the box. I think they look a bit soft. However, I'm hoping to get out this week if it ever stops raining.

Spring in MA - this is what I saw out of the door in my room the first day. The red barn was the only color I saw while in Stockbridge.

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springtime in Stockbridge-stockbsnow.jpg   Springtime in Stockbridge-stockbrbarn.jpg  

Re: Springtime in Stockbridge

Why is that song from The Producers going through my head right now?

I like these and don't really think they're too soft, although some sharpening in PS wouldn't hurt. What kind of camera? Kit lens?

I like the green house against the snow, especially.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Liz

Re: Springtime in Stockbridge

Thanks for the comments, Kelly.

This is my new Canon Rebel XT. I sold the Rebel 300D and got this newest Canon DSLR, and have had NO time to play around with it since I got it 2 weeks ago! The lens is the Canon 17-40 which is my favorite. Basically, these are straight from the camera, except I did a little "contrast" but did forget to sharpen them.

For some reason, these images were smaller when I uploaded them in PSElements2. I just posted a question about this in the Digital Imaging Forum. I've been having some problems with the software. I couldn't see the smaller image well enough to do more editing.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Why is that song from The Producers going through my head right now?

I like these and don't really think they're too soft, although some sharpening in PS wouldn't hurt. What kind of camera? Kit lens?

I like the green house against the snow, especially.

Liz

Thanks Penny

Penny,

I appreciate the information that you gave me. I haven't even opened the plastic that the manual is in. I came home to pouring rain, then got the flu. Today is the first day the weather is beautiful and my plan was to go to NY. Hopefully I'll get there soon!

Thanks for telling me there is an in-camera sharpening. I didn't know that. From what I've read the defaults on this camera aren't as good in "auto" as the Rebel. I usually like to use aperture or shutter priority for starters. However, I had no time except to push the shutter button. The Rebel 300D default settings are geared toward sharper pics right out of the camera. However, I only had a few minutes to try this one out so shot on auto.

I'll let you know how good the camera does for me. I've seen some awesome photos from this camera, so I'm anxious to get started.

Thanks again. I need to start reading the manual for starters!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Liz:

So, how do you like your new camera? I understand that you were just trying to get some "sample" shots -- well, these look pretty good to me.

Your shots are so representative of the East, the snow, the buildings, everything. Good captures!

Don't worry about the softness of these shots until you take more and see if they all look soft. You can then try to use the sharpening that's built into your camera and see if you like that -- there's usually a few levels of sharpening to choose from. Of course, you already know about sharpening in Photoshop.

Please post more when you get a minute. I'm anxious!

My Best to You,
    Penny

Thread Information