ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Speaking of Film...What type?

What type of film is the film of choice for most users here? I'm not a "professional" by any means, but I do like to have good results and I believe that part of that comes from the film I choose.

I used to use Kodak Royal Gold in the past, but I just found out that they recently discontinued the film. My local camera shop suggested I try the new Kodak HD film, but that seems to me like a cheap mass consumer film. I've tried Fuji, but I haven't been pleased with the results (Fuji always looks green to me).

Any way, what film would you suggest for an amateur photographer? I'm open for really any type of film that can be used for prints.

I was a confirmed Kodak Supra 100 user (much like Royal Gold), until it was discontinued. I now use Kodak Ultra-color 100 and 400. It's really fantastic stuff, much better than Supra and Royal Gold in my opinion. This along with Kodak matte processing is almost impossible to beat.

I'd use it in place of Ektachrome for my main interest, insect photography, but slide film and processing are so much cheaper. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say that.

--Jeff

Film? What's that?

Before I went digital, I shot mostly Kodak Portra, ordered from b&h because no one around here carried it. Beautiful skin.

Before I tried the pro film, I didn't see what the difference would be, it's all film, right? But once I shot a few rolls, of that and other stuff, the difference was very noticable.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I've had the same problem with Fuji neg films myself so I don't use them. The lab that I use here works mostly with Portra (wedding & portrait lab) so that's what I use. Great results, why re-invent the wheel? They're expensive but I don't shoot a lot of neg film.

My advice is to talk to the lab and see what they like working with best. Sure, you should be able to get great prints from anywhere because it's all C-41 process - but in reality the story is a little different! This would really only apply to either a pro lab or some of the few (and getting fewer) small labs out there that really care about what they're doing. There's one at a small camera store here that I would put in that category, but I wouldn't put a one-hour drugstore lab in this category. Once you find a good consistent combination, I'd probably stick with it as long as you can.

I have been using alot of fuji superia 200 and having good results, but I am starting to feel sometimes like it's colors are not quite right abit casty even. I also use Kodak royal supra 200 which I feel gives a very accurate result with not overly saturated colors and goods fine grain. Very little latitude however.. I just read a review on Kodaks "new" Ultra-color 100 and 400 andit was very favorable. . .so i will be looking to try that next. The best landscape film I have found yet has to be fuji reala 100. . .extremely fine grain and very warm even colors.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I've used Fuji exclusively for prints and slides, using NPS, NPH, and Provia 100F(slide). I also like the way Reala scans. Since others have stated that they prefer Kodak, the best advice is to try different types, decide which ones you prefer.

These are all good suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I think my distaste for Fuji probably came from the developer. They processed mainly Kodak and I noticed that the Fuji was processed on Kodak paper.

I guess it won't hurt me to try some of these films that you're suggesting. Right now I'm going to snap off the film that's left in my camera (Kodak HD) and when I pick up my Maxxum 70, I'll grab some film as well.

Like Charles, I Shoot Fuji

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    What type of film is the film of choice for most users here? I'm not a "professional" by any means, but I do like to have good results and I believe that part of that comes from the film I choose.

I used to use Kodak Royal Gold in the past, but I just found out that they recently discontinued the film. My local camera shop suggested I try the new Kodak HD film, but that seems to me like a cheap mass consumer film. I've tried Fuji, but I haven't been pleased with the results (Fuji always looks green to me).

Any way, what film would you suggest for an amateur photographer? I'm open for really any type of film that can be used for prints.

Fuji is what I use for 99% of my shooting.

My everyday film is Fuji's Superia Xtra 400. Fast, good color, good detail. I use it for shooting weddings (it's that good), astrophotography work, sports, and as I said, it's my everyday film. For shooting landscapes, I use Reala, or I shoot slides (Sensia, Velvia, Provia). Reala is also a good portrait film.

For portraits, I really like Kodak Porta 160 NC. It's the only Kodak film I shoot. I use to shoot Kodak Gold 100, but when I couldn't get it locally, I switched to Superia Xtra 400 and never looked back.

Definitely check B&H Photo for the best film prices. I buy my Superia Xtra 400 from Wal Mart, but everything else I buy from B&H.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Fuji is what I use for 99% of my shooting.

My everyday film is Fuji's Superia Xtra 400. Fast, good color, good detail. I use it for shooting weddings (it's that good), astrophotography work, sports, and as I said, it's my everyday film. For shooting landscapes, I use Reala, or I shoot slides (Sensia, Velvia, Provia). Reala is also a good portrait film.

For portraits, I really like Kodak Porta 160 NC. It's the only Kodak film I shoot. I use to shoot Kodak Gold 100, but when I couldn't get it locally, I switched to Superia Xtra 400 and never looked back.

Definitely check B&H Photo for the best film prices. I buy my Superia Xtra 400 from Wal Mart, but everything else I buy from B&H.
    I hear more and more people raving about fuji. So I think I'll give it a try.

I have a roll of Fuji slide film (I forget which one) but I haven't used it since I don't have any use for slides. Could I use it for prints???

As far as B&H goes, I would order from them except the duty & exchange would probably kill me. I'll grab something from up here.

I Didn't Notice...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower
    I hear more and more people raving about fuji. So I think I'll give it a try.

I have a roll of Fuji slide film (I forget which one) but I haven't used it since I don't have any use for slides. Could I use it for prints???

As far as B&H goes, I would order from them except the duty & exchange would probably kill me. I'll grab something from up here.

That you were in Canada! So you are right about the duty and exchange rates. Buy what you can get locally.

You can have prints made from slides. No problem.

Definitely try different films, and find out what you like. It amazes me how much difference there is in different films. Also, the developer makes a HUGH difference in how your prints look. Wal Mart sticks the film in the machine and lets it go. Half Hour Photo watches it, and they will add/subtract density, or color as necessary to get you a good print. If you have different labs around, ask them about their services.

Most folks find a film or two that they like and stick with it. Depending on your shooting needs, you may find two or three films, for different situations. Find what you like and run with it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    That you were in Canada! So you are right about the duty and exchange rates. Buy what you can get locally.

You can have prints made from slides. No problem.

Definitely try different films, and find out what you like. It amazes me how much difference there is in different films. Also, the developer makes a HUGH difference in how your prints look. Wal Mart sticks the film in the machine and lets it go. Half Hour Photo watches it, and they will add/subtract density, or color as necessary to get you a good print. If you have different labs around, ask them about their services.

Most folks find a film or two that they like and stick with it. Depending on your shooting needs, you may find two or three films, for different situations. Find what you like and run with it.
    I usually take my film to a reputable developer. After all you only get one chance when developing your shots.

Before I purchased my A70, I used to take my film from my point and shoot to Costco or the local Grocery Store to develop it. If it came out of my "good" camera, I'll take it to Henry's (similar to B&H).

And don't worry about my Canadian heritage (I love being Canadian) but I am also an honorary Texan (My brother-in-law is a Texan now). I feel just as much at home there as I do here.

I only develop my negatives, then scan them on my dedicated film scanner. This way, I see which few out of a roll of 36 came out good ( usually maybe 6-8 shots I am happy with) and then scan those at full resolution, edit them as I feel fit, and print out only those I feel are worthy. Keep the negs in a sleeve, marked and labeled and then stored in archival box.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information