ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Speaking Of EBAY... Listed US, Non US Buyers...

So I have six camera related items on EBAY, all of which I have listed as US only, simply because I don't want to deal with all the currency exchange issues.
    But I have recieved numerous questions from "potential buyers" from Europe, Norway and Italy mostly, asking if I would ship it there.
    I am rather reluctant to do so, due to the fact that I could be scammed and just want to make sure I get all of the money I am asking.
    I have one guy that bid first and the asked the question later.
    Thoughts?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Speaking Of EBAY... Listed US, Non US Buyers...

I have never sold anything on ebay, but I understand where you're coming from. I don't think I wold want to deal with anything out of the country, other than maybe Canada.

I do see "US Only" listed in a lot of the auctions that I have looked at before, and I figure they have a good reason for stating that. When it comes to sites like ebay, it's better to be safe than sorry. Again, I have never sold anything on ebay, so these are just my thoughts on the subject.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ahem some of us are honest
    What are you selling? I may have been able to buy something from you, although I am in the UK.
    I am reluctant to buy camera related products from ANYONE on ebay as over £300 is alot of money to lose if they are not as honest as you.
    It's a shame we don't have a listing section on here. We all know one another here.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

as long as they paypal you before you ship, and you up the shipping price because of international shipping, then its all good. just dont accept wire transfers, or any more of those sketchy payments.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    It's a shame we don't have a listing section on here. We all know one another here.
    we do alison! check the camera classifieds!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    I am reluctant to buy camera related products from ANYONE on ebay as over £300 is alot of money to lose if they are not as honest as you...
    Brian, all of the risk on ebay is with the buyer...

A seller can make sure they get full payment (in whatever form) before they ever ship an item. A buyer, paying for something up front, has to gauge the dealer's feedback and number of transactions, then decide if they trust that person.

I've sold many items on ebay, and the main reason I choose US only is because of the shipping and custom hassles often associated with overseas sales...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Allison,
    I am selling all of my Nikon gear...
    F100, 24, 35-70, 80-200 AF-S and a 14mm Sigma lens, all f/2.8.
    Plus, my SB-80DX flash.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    So I have six camera related items on EBAY, all of which I have listed as US only, simply because I don't want to deal with all the currency exchange issues.
    But I have recieved numerous questions from "potential buyers" from Europe, Norway and Italy mostly, asking if I would ship it there.
    I am rather reluctant to do so, due to the fact that I could be scammed and just want to make sure I get all of the money I am asking.
    I have one guy that bid first and the asked the question later.
    Thoughts?
    Brian
    As long as you only take pay-pal and they pay the shipping and customs, I don't see an problems, as long as FedX, UPS, or other shipper will ship to there location.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thoughts?
    No, no and no.

I'm not trying to offend anyone not here in the US, I'm just trying to avoid the hassles of international shipping. I used to do the same thing on ebay and had a Canadian win a small piece of photo gear. No asking first, just went ahead and did it. I told him I'd just ship it rather than deal with re-listing. We argued over the shipping cost which obviously was higher. Then he wants it sent as a "gift" so he doesn't have to pay duty. Another time I had a guy in Spain win a lens who wouldn't pay what my cost was to ship it to him. Sorry, no more.

Here's what I found: Go to My Ebay, then Preferences, under My Account. Scroll down to Selling Preferences and click on Buyer Requirements. Here you can limit who can bid on your auctions by location. I have mine set to block buyers who are registered in countries to which I don't ship.

Allison,
    I am selling all of my Nikon gear...
    F100, 24, 35-70, 80-200 AF-S and a 14mm Sigma lens, all f/2.8.
    Plus, my SB-80DX flash.
    Brian
    Darn it! I am a Canon user!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    we do alison! check the camera classifieds!
    Cool thanks Brent. I'll go check.
    Moments later...
    Boo hoo :cryin: no 70-200mm F2.8's for sale lol.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I've had people from other countries try to bid when I sold stuff there or ask if they could.
    I did let one guy in Norway buy a book but usually won't deal with the hassle either.
    If you listed it as a u.s. only item, they can't complain.

Also the buyer does have protection as well as the seller because if they don't get their item, they get their money back if they use paypal.
    Some don't like paypal but I've never had any trouble and will only sell with paypal.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Brian, you can block non-US bidders through your profile settings. I've sold a few things and international has always been a hassle: customs forms, buyers wanted it listed as gift, lack of tracking if you use USPS, and impatient buyers who want it quicker than it gets there.

To Steve's point about the risk being with the buyer, that's not always the case. I had a sale where PayPal took back the money from my account no reason other than "suspicion of fraud" by the buyer. Lost about $50. If you require money orders, then yes, all the risk is with the buyer.

Hi, As an occasional eBayer myself, The international market is huge and offering to ship to other countries may increase your bids and final price.

I list my shipping costs to U.S and Canada up front on my listing. Make sure you state that duties are the buyers resonsibility and international customers should ask about shipping costs before bidding. Anyone who dosen't respect that gets their bid removed.

Accept Paypal only for NON U.S or Canadian customers. Don't close your doors to the world just set the rules for entrance.

Just so you know most lenses and most cameras that are made in Japan are duty free going into Canada from the U.S. The Canadian Customer will only be charged All Canadian Sales Taxes when they take delivery.

Hope this helps!
    It’s not me it’s the espresso talking.

Thread Information