ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Sometimes you just can't get it

Went to the Shamrock Shuffle Sunday morning. No good spots to shoot from, and my longest glass isn't long enough, so I had to resort to cropping.

Chicago Fire Academy crossing the finish line, 200mm, wide open, ISO 100.

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Cool "No good spots to shoot from..."

[QUOTE=Sebastian]Went to the Shamrock Shuffle Sunday morning. No good spots to shoot from, and my longest glass isn't long enough, so I had to resort to cropping.

"and my longest glass isn't long enough"

Sounds like me at an airshow! Being 5' 7", I've got lots of shots of the back of people's heads and hats. Also, I wish I had a dollar for every time I wished I had another 100mm on my zoom lens - I could buy that F5 I want. And I'm still waiting for Nikon to come out with that 50-500mm f1.4, three pound lens for under $1000!!!

:-O
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=Speed]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Went to the Shamrock Shuffle Sunday morning. No good spots to shoot from, and my longest glass isn't long enough, so I had to resort to cropping.

"and my longest glass isn't long enough"

Sounds like me at an airshow! Being 5' 7", I've got lots of shots of the back of people's heads and hats. Also, I wish I had a dollar for every time I wished I had another 100mm on my zoom lens - I could buy that F5 I want. And I'm still waiting for Nikon to come out with that 50-500mm f1.4, three pound lens for under $1000!!!

:-O
    Yeah, I can imagine how much of a pain the airshow must be. Long glass is fun...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Looks like the guy on the other side (lower left in your shot) got close enough - what did you do, sleep in?!! You came back with a pretty good shot, especially with that simple background. Nothing wrong with cropping here. Some PJ's are very against it, but I'm not sure I feel the same way.

I can understand about an 80-200 at an air show - might as well use a 20mm! I've also got an 80-400 which might help a little more. But zoom it out to 400 and try to keep something moving in the frame while shooting handheld... that's something for me to work on!

the photographer across the way got close enough....

It looks good though. The line of the flag pole and the guy in front of him, in uniform, give it good dynamics. It's a good clean background too.

Hopefully you didn't crop too much. A 1.4x or 2x tc are great to keep around. The always work well in a pinch. Plus, they're small and easy to carry.

Mike

Thread Information