ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Something for everyone [musings - blog-ish]

Hello -just popping in to say hello to you all. It's interesting - a big old branch knocked down the phone lines in front of my house, so I haven't even had access to personal email for a week, let alone my landline or PR. Verizon is taking its sweet time coming by. Being deprived of my daily Viewfinder has been kind of like doing the reading deprivation chapter of "The Artist's Way." You know what I'm talking about if you've done it. To feed my photo jones, I have rediscovered the magazine rack at B&N. I gave myself a $10 magazine budget and went in, picked up a nice fat issue of Art Forum, then gingerly put it back in favor of Photographer's Forum and Photo Life, a Canadian photography magazine. Then Monday, a few magazines I am subscribed to arrived - Outdoor Photographer and Runner's World [though my world is Limping World due to injury right now.] I stopped getting American Photographer a long time ago when every issue just seemed to be a f... heck of a lot of pouting female models. There's a reason I never read Vogue.... but I digress. In the 3 photography magazines, I found some great stuff. First, each one had interesting "how to" articles on digital stuff that I can actually use IRL in spite of not owning a digital camera. Expand my Photoshop horizons. Maybe get a new job with wonderful new skills. And as the subject line says, something for everyone:

Paul - if you don't already subscribe, pick up the newest issue of Outdoor Photographer. Good two-pager on how to photograph humming birds. Thought of you.

Digital fanatics: just teasing. If nothing else will make me go slightly digital, this just might. [Apologies PJ if I should have linked it somehow through the site - I'm on a borrowed 'puter.] http://www.rollei.jp/e/pd/MiniD.html It's SSSSOOOOOOO CUUUUTTTTE!!!!!

Holga Lovers Unite: Photographer's Forum has a wonderful article on Ray Carofano, a Holga artist in Cali. http://www.carofano.com/ I can only aspire to be this brilliant. And completely, photographically hardcore and old-school. Rock on Mr. Carofano. This might make me go west of the Rockies and maz my cards to take a seminar.

Everyone: The 2 periodicals [I have worked in 2 libraries...] I found at B&N both have some amazing portfolios. The Canadian one is showing the work of Canadian collegians. Really wonderful work. Fun to look at such diverse visions coming from the generations younger than us [that are of my age and older ]. Are they Generation Z yet?
    ______
    Tomorrow, Saturday the 18th, I go to my first "real" gallery opening with some of my work on display. I'm really excited. I finally feel like I'm at least on the road to where I want to be. The toiling is starting to produce results. Tiny results, but maybe like the first signs of a bud on a sprig poking through the snow in February? Mmmm, also have to start creating again. Everything in life seems to be a series of trade-offs - nothing is ever balanced, it all swings wildly in one direction or another, and I guess at the *end* it's all averaged out.

Hope I haven't bored anyone who has dared read this far. I miss being here daily.... but maybe not as much as I thought. But that's a good thing. We all need to open the window for fresh air once in awhile. I'l stop typing and catch up on some responses.

Megan

Megan, perhaps I AM doing the reading deprivation chapter of "The Artist's Way." I bought the book but haven't read it yet.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    AH..Megan I have been getting that mag for 4 years.

The "sharper images" write up will help EVERYONE that owns a camera.......EVERYONE RUN OUT AND GET IT(or read it there) !!

As for the hummingbird story from NIKON SCHOOL..... THERE IS BAD DATA in it ;)

Try to find it
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Megan..

Funny I should wake up and read this. I just went to B & N last night for a book. I browsed the magazines and I couldn't beleive there was a photo mag for $24.99! Then I couldn't beleive I bought it! The name is "The Digital Photography Handbook" and is published in the United Kingdom. Did you see that one? jam packed full of helpful info on a variety of subjects, even has decent software. Never thought I'd pay that for a magazine...sheesh! There is something about magazines though, you feel like you're getting the most up to date stuff..fresh. Fell alseep last night reading it. Excellent! thanks for the tips on the other mags.
    Kit

I figured...

Paul - I figured that you would already get it!

But I actually didn not read the article, and since I'm hardly the technophile, I think you're gonna have to 'splain the bad data, ricky.

Okay - Fishbone "Party at Ground Zero" is on the "retro" channel. I must go dance.

Megan

$24.99!!!!

And I thought $19.99 for the photoshop magazine was way steep!

As long as it's useful, I guess that's all that matters!

megan

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    a link to current issue(most article online)

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/c...004/index.html

the hummingbird article says"70-200 w/ TC2E(should be TC20E) give's him a "effective 140-400" on a nikon digital camera......WRONG!!!! It give him that range on a film body, but the APS sized sensor gives him a "effective range" of 210-600 I do believe(sensor crop is 1.5x I think)

HAHAHA..... NIKON SCHOOL doesn't know it gear , BUT I DO
    Last edited by paulnj; 09-19-2004 at 08:29 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Kit, I think I have that one! I bought a couple mags published in the UK, and I REALLY like them for some reason! Every page, every article, has been interesting, and I'm not even through the first mag.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Kit, I think I have that one! I bought a couple mags published in the UK, and I REALLY like them for some reason! Every page, every article, has been interesting, and I'm not even through the first mag.
    Ditto! this one has in depth articles on everything from Portraits to weddings, setting up a studio, close ups, how to make money, photoshop tricks, lighting, cameras.. you name it! I guess it is a good buy afterall.
    Kit

Thread Information