ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Amazing what one photo can do....

A couple weeks ago I took this photo up at RMNP, and also posted it here. Well, I printed it out and took it to work for people to see, and then all of them asked if I had a website, which I then directed them to. Suddenly, I have a bunch people (some I don't even know) asking to sell a bunch of my images off my website.
    I told them that I can only print up to 8x10, and that on matte paper the pictures should last about 25-30 years under glass (I have an Epson R300, not a pigment ink printer). They said that is fine with them, so I guess I need to make a price sheet and decide what to sell.
    I'm very flattered by all this, and it's all new to me, so my question is, how much should one charge for 8x10's that will last that long? I don't want to charge too much, seeing as how I'm just starting out, but I do want to start making some decent money off of my images, as I certainly put alot of money into the equipment. I do plan on upgrading to the 2200 at the end of the year, but until then, the R300 will have to do and I do get great results from it.
    Thanks ahead of time for any opinions on this matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amazing what one photo can do....-dsc_3377-longs-snrise-wide-1-preview.jpg  
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

If you're seriously going to sell your stuff, you owe it to photographers around the world to set a competitive price.

So I recommend doing your research. Here's help:

Download a program called "FotoQuote" (http://www.fotoquote.com/). You will have to buy it to unlock the part you want to see, but from everything I've heard about this program, it's truly useful and contains information about pricing for tons and tons of markets. Check it out.

If all you ever want to do is sell a few prints, check out "smugmug.com". You can upload your digital files there, set your prices, and everything is printed and shipped through them. I think they give some idea of prices there.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

So what's stopping you from using a custom lab to print your images?

yes, but oh what a photo

Brian, how did it look on paper? I was just wondering if it could possible look as good as it does here. I'm surprized you haven't advertized your stuff, it's amazing and if you're work doesn't have a market, no ones does. You mentioned getting the 2200. Isn't that the same process as the R300? Won't prints last the same amount of time. It's ink jet right? Well, try those links of Kelly's and let us all know. Your work should be shown in my opinion. Maybe you could set up a show in your town.Yes, you could get them printed like Hodgy said and charge accordingly.
    ~ Kit

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Yes the 2200 is also an ink jet, but it uses Ultrachrome pigment inks - the longevity of the print is determined by the ink/paper combination. The longevity for the Ultrachrome/Premium Glossy Photo combo is 85 years. I think the max for the Ultrachome is 108 years with one of the matte papers.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Sorry - no help on pricing, but that's one beautiful image. Good luck!

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks Mig

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Yes the 2200 is also an ink jet, but it uses Ultrachrome pigment inks - the longevity of the print is determined by the ink/paper combination. The longevity for the Ultrachrome/Premium Glossy Photo combo is 85 years. I think the max for the Ultrachome is 108 years with one of the matte papers.

Danielle
    I'm thinking of purchasing the 2200 so that's good news. I have read a few reviews that are not positive, so I'm stalling till I hear more. I currently have the 1270 so time to upgrade.
    ~ Kit

Nice shot - great light! I guess I'm with Hodgy about the custom lab thing. I don't own a printer and send my stuff out - the number of prints that I do isn't enough to justify a 2200, and from past experience you really need to use it if you've got it. An 8x10 might run from $2 to $6 at a lab and they're probably using high end equipment. Get a couple prints from other places and compare the results.

For pricing, you might also want to go to local art fairs to see what other people are charging. Sure, it's not the best business plan - to copy someone else's prices - but look at what a few others are charging and you'll get an idea of what you can get away with. Are you going to matt and mount the prints?

I'm sorry for posting again on this..

...but I just can't quit looking at this photo. It's breathtaking. I would suggest not selling the rights to it, just maybe limited edition signed prints .. 50 tops. That will make it more valuable. And don't sell cheap! I feel that if you value your own work, others will too. People will actually buy the same product for the higher price because we all secretly think "you get what you paid for". I mean, just look at all the years it took for you to be at the point where you have the expertise to make this shot!
    Please don't do the 8 x 10 thing. That photo deserves to be BIG. The advice Hodgy and Another View gave to use a custom lab etc. is a great idea. I just feel you should treat this photo like a priceless treasure. It is very special.
    ~ Kit

Thanks Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    If you're seriously going to sell your stuff, you owe it to photographers around the world to set a competitive price.

So I recommend doing your research. Here's help:

Download a program called "FotoQuote" (http://www.fotoquote.com/). You will have to buy it to unlock the part you want to see, but from everything I've heard about this program, it's truly useful and contains information about pricing for tons and tons of markets. Check it out.

If all you ever want to do is sell a few prints, check out "smugmug.com". You can upload your digital files there, set your prices, and everything is printed and shipped through them. I think they give some idea of prices there.
    for the link. I'll have to check this out for sure. I don't know about the smugmug thing though. I'd like to see the print I'm seeling to someone to ensure quality. I'd like to be more in control that way.
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

Nothing at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgy
    So what's stopping you from using a custom lab to print your images?
    and I guess I do need to consider that, for the short term anyway. The pro lab where I took my slides to is now a digital lab as well (had to go that route to stay in business). I know the owner, Rick, pretty well now. I'll definitely look into that.

OT: Your wedding images blow me away. Your talent, presentation and style (which is all your own) are top-notch. I love looking at your images so keep them coming.
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Kit....

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Brian, how did it look on paper? I was just wondering if it could possible look as good as it does here. I'm surprized you haven't advertized your stuff, it's amazing and if you're work doesn't have a market, no ones does. You mentioned getting the 2200. Isn't that the same process as the R300? Won't prints last the same amount of time. It's ink jet right? Well, try those links of Kelly's and let us all know. Your work should be shown in my opinion. Maybe you could set up a show in your town.Yes, you could get them printed like Hodgy said and charge accordingly.
    ~ Kit
    They look even better printed. A computer monitor cannot come close to a printed image when it comes to sharpness and detail. As for the printer question, Mig answered that for me. Thanks Mig!! ;)
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Thanks Danielle...

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    Sorry - no help on pricing, but that's one beautiful image. Good luck!

Danielle
    and good luck with the dance troupe!! ;)
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nice shot - great light! I guess I'm with Hodgy about the custom lab thing. I don't own a printer and send my stuff out - the number of prints that I do isn't enough to justify a 2200, and from past experience you really need to use it if you've got it. An 8x10 might run from $2 to $6 at a lab and they're probably using high end equipment. Get a couple prints from other places and compare the results.

For pricing, you might also want to go to local art fairs to see what other people are charging. Sure, it's not the best business plan - to copy someone else's prices - but look at what a few others are charging and you'll get an idea of what you can get away with. Are you going to matt and mount the prints?
    Like I told Hodgy, I'm defintiely going to see what a lab can do, but I will be buying the 2200 (or comparable) for sure. I'll keep it busy.
    I don't have any plans to matt and mount the prints. I want to deliver them in a professional manner, but I coudn't afford the up front costs of doing that, at this time anyway.
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Kit...

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    ...but I just can't quit looking at this photo. It's breathtaking. I would suggest not selling the rights to it, just maybe limited edition signed prints .. 50 tops. That will make it more valuable. And don't sell cheap! I feel that if you value your own work, others will too. People will actually buy the same product for the higher price because we all secretly think "you get what you paid for". I mean, just look at all the years it took for you to be at the point where you have the expertise to make this shot!
    Please don't do the 8 x 10 thing. That photo deserves to be BIG. The advice Hodgy and Another View gave to use a custom lab etc. is a great idea. I just feel you should treat this photo like a priceless treasure. It is very special.
    ~ Kit
    thanks for the wonderful comments, as always. They mean a great deal to me. You are way too kind!! I think the advice that Hodgy and Another View gave is great too, and I plan on looking into that.
    As for the limited edition thing, you know Kit, I'd be happy if I just sold one!! I would think one would have to have quite a reputation to do a limited edition thing, and well, I cannot even begin to think of myself that way. Right now I'm just stunned that people have shown the interest that they have. Like alot of us here, I'm very much my own worst critic. My wife just rolls her eyes when I critique one of my own photos. ;)

Thanks again Kit!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Thanks for the link....

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Dear Brian:

A few weeks ago this subject came up for discussion at this link.

My thoughts remain the same and similar to what others have said here:

1. Your work is worthy of a good price. (Especially your amazing work! )

2. Present your work in the most professional manner you can.

3. And as, Sebastian says -- rinse, lather, repeat. Once you get started keep on selling your work following steps 1 and 2 -- you won't be sorry.

Selling my prints regularly is what has kept me afloat during this time I've been unemployed.

Hope this helps.

My Best to You,
    Penny
    and the nice comments, as always Penny. I'll definitely have to do a bit more research on this subject.
    OT: You know, I can't wait to meet you two. I'm praying that you find work very soon, and I really hope that you can make it out to Colorado sometime soon as well (just make it in the fall, spring, or summer).
    I want to say again how much I enjoy your Tahoe/Bodie images. You did much better than me out there. I did want to ask you, did you take the gondola up to Heavenly while you were there?
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Just one more post... no need to reply to it

Brian, when you advertize your work as "Limited Edition" then people assume you are in demand. In any business, I'm sure you know, reality is not as important as perception.
    Beleive your wife, that what you got her for!
    ~ Kit

Liz

Cool Congratulations!

Well deserved! What an awesome photo! The lighting is incredible. Wow.

I don't have any input on price, etc. Just wanted to encourage you. This photo and some of your others are truly works of art. You have a great gift and you use it well.

Keep us updated.

Liz

Thanks Liz!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Well deserved! What an awesome photo! The lighting is incredible. Wow.

I don't have any input on price, etc. Just wanted to encourage you. This photo and some of your others are truly works of art. You have a great gift and you use it well.

Keep us updated.

Liz
    Your words are certainly encouraging and very much appreciated. As far as price is concerned, I'm going to research a bit more and do the custom lab thing, then I'll do what I can do.

Thanks again Liz!!

PS: Are you gonna upgrade to the 20D? That looks to be one awesome camera for the Canon folk out there!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Liz

Cool 20D............hmmmmmmmmmm

PS: Are you gonna upgrade to the 20D? That looks to be one awesome camera for the Canon folk out there!![/QUOTE]

There's always the temptation in photography to move up......that would be nice, but.......I'm very happy with the 300D. The biggest reason is the weight. I have a back problem and didn't get the 10D for that reason. I waited patiently (or impatiently ) for a lighter weight DSLR, and when the Rebel arrived, I knew this was it. It's really all I need, for a while anyway. I recycled all my lenses when I changed from film to digital, and spent my money on that! I did manage to get my lenses down from 6 lenses to 3. But better glass including my first "L" lens (17-40 which is awesome). However, I do have a little money put aside "just in case" Canon comes out with a longer focal length, but smaller/lighter weight lens. Someday!

Once again, I always enjoy your photos. They inspire me to do better myself. I do mostly street photography now since my photography time has been so limited - and the streets are really my favorite. But hopefully I'll expand out one of these days. I'm going to Lake George next week - maybe I'll come back with something different.

Liz

Thread Information