ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Some days the whole world seems against you

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some days the whole world seems against you-07-22-07-sad-dog.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Some days the whole world seems against you

Oh the poor thing looks competely pathetic sitting there! I take hope though in that it looks well cared for really

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thanks, Mike. The owner said she was really old (and, yes, she appeared to be very well taken care of). A bystander did mention to me that she looked to have about a week to live - based on how she was acting.

See my website HERE.

definetly a great compositional picture,with alot of meaning,when you take a shot like that,do you do it in color as well?,then post the better of all shots you have?,or did you plan on that single image as being the perfect keeper?, just curious on how you approached a great image like that,because it really does pull at the heart strings.as any photographer would want it too.adding the history along with it is a welcome touch. just my thoughts.

polarbeardiggers - unless it's of a shy bird or other timid wildlife (or a good candid people moment), rarely do I shoot a single shot. This shot was one of perhaps a dozen - waiting for the dog to look in the right direction, getting the angle, waiting for the trash to blow away from within the frame...

By the way, this shot was taken during the Jazz & Rib Fest. The dog and owner were taking a break between street vendors behind a roped off area. Saw it and asked to shoot it.

As for the B&W - I had no intention of making this a B&W. And I'll be the first to tell you that I'm horrible at B&W conversions (this image lacks the deep blacks and clear whites). But the color version shows the water cover that the dog is standing on obnoxiously clearly (painted blue).

I'll try to post some of the other shots if you care to see them.

See my website HERE.

thanks for the info,its cool to know about the thought process of a picture, especially one that has so much meaning,i kind of thought you might have taken more, and funny how certain colors would have taken away content from the picture image had you gone color,a wise choice that worked out well.i took a picture of a heritage building in b@w, but the house had too many updated renows done,took the period out of the image,so i got two doors and a window,with old barn board walls with a mat on the floor,i did not get good reviews because there was no proof of its real age,disappointing, but i do carry a few props in the car,thinking of using them as subtle enhancers to add to plain images in b@w next time i shoot,so curious as you take distracting things out of your image from color to b@w,whats your opinion on adding things to a image ? or do you prefer totally true picture scene context?

Quote Originally Posted by polarbeardiggers
    ... or do you prefer totally true picture scene context?
    Because most of what I do tends to be more "documentary" than illustration, for me I don't add or clone anything into/out of an image other than those pesky dust spots. My nature/wildlife images are always "as is, where is". This mentality spills over to my general shooting as well.

I shoot a LOT of images through branches, weeds, and what not so I'm always very conscious of keeping the distracting elements out of the shot. I think by always working to get the best shooting angle keeps the focus on the shot at hand. Even if there are no "keepers" at the end of the day, at least I know that I found the best shooting approach under those conditions for that particular subject at that moment in time.

Here's the color version of the original post. Below that are 3 other angles that didn't work FWIW One with trash blowing around and the other with the owner's food.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some days the whole world seems against you-07-22-07-sad-dog-color.jpg   Some days the whole world seems against you-07-22-07-sad-dog-v2-3.jpg   Some days the whole world seems against you-07-22-07-sad-dog-v4.jpg  

See my website HERE.

thanks for clearifying that with us,i see by the last image is good showing the poor dog alone working well with the title,but i guess with the busy background could get distracting from the main subject,thanks for sharing your prospectives with us,.

Thread Information