ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Seb

building a portfolio, seeking for help.

Hello everyone,

I would be interested to enter a college course in photography (although it's probably too late for me this year) and I need to submit a portfolio. Basically, they do not specify anything about it. There is no particular theme or rule to follow.

Is there any do/don't that I should be aware of? Here are my main interrogations:

the physical support (an album, a binder?)

the size of the print (4x6, 8x12??)

the number of photography to include

the variety (can I afford to submit various shots that are not necessarily linked to each other or should I stick to a general theme?)

That's pretty much it.

best regards

Seb

This is what I've got: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=242579&is=REG

It holds 8x10's and fits in a camera bag, briefcase, FedEx box, etc. There are a lot of others out there that are very fancy - a few hundred if you want - but this gets the job done. It has 12 double sided pages, 24 prints. I don't fill it, 12 images or so should say enough. Some people do individually mounted and matted prints, too. Since you're not really given any guidelines on what they want, they're probably interested to see how you do it. One subject, whether architecture, environmental portraits, road kill (yes, someone did a book a few years ago on this) or whatever is probably most common way to do it.

I'm also interested to see what others say - it seems like a hard question to get answers to for some reason.

Just a couple points. The photo's must be your best work. Since you are undecided on a particular theme, perhaps a variety will work best.

Here is a product line that I use that is very good quality and inexpensive.

http://www.itoya.com/Catalogs/Profol...t_profolio.htm

Good Luck.

-Dave-

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yeah, just one rule...don't spend a lot of money on it.

Seb,

I would put weight in the fact that they aren't providing you with specific guidelines. That means that the content of your portfolio will be much more important than the manner in which it's presented.

This, of course, doesn't mean you can get away with throwing a bunch of pics in a shoebox, but rather that you shouldn't get too worked up over the physical packaging of the work.

You may be able to get some more info from someone in the department you're trying to get admitted to, but I agree that generally, you probably should include a variety of work. I don't think a school would expect you to have a precise and distinctive style at this point, but rather they're looking for a good eye, basic craftsmanship, creative ideas, and artistic potential.

Of the sizes you list, I think the larger (you mention 8x12, but also 8x10) would be better than the smallish 4x6. Again, depending on how large a body of work you have, normally 20-30 prints or so should be enough. And better 20 good prints than padding it to 30 with 10 extra mediocre ones.

As for binders, I don't think that will make a difference at all. Just make sure you get one that won't fall apart...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Seb
    Hello guys.

Thanks a lot for all the imput. It now appears that it was too late for me to apply this year (I just found out the existence of this course 3 days back). Nevertheless, the informations that you gave me are truly important. I'll start to work on my portfolio asap. If another opportunity arise, I'll be ready.

best regards

Seb

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

The advice to me has always been

To kep is small, short and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    the physical support (an album, a binder?)
    the size of the print (4x6, 8x12??)
    the number of photography to include
    the variety (can I afford to submit various shots that are not necessarily linked to each other or should I stick to a general theme?)
    A nice portfolio would be the best physical support. You can find some examples of some nice portfolios at your local art store, and I think Light impressions carries them. I wouldn't spend tons of money, but you want it to look *presentable* and like you care about your work. I wouldn't go smaller than 8x10, or larger than 16X20. I would include at least 15 photographs, but try not to go over 25-30. You want to be able to display your talents, so I would concentrate more on showing your absolute most best shots instead of trying to keep a theme - unless you're applying for a graduate program, and I've never done that, so my advice may not be the best!

Good luck, and don't be surprised if they offer you a teaching position instead of a student position!

Megan

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Good luck, and don't be surprised if they offer you a teaching position instead of a student position!
    Megan
    LOL, I strongly doubt that it would get to that due to my relative inexperience and my age but I guess that it would be kinda funny. : )

Thank you for your comments. I have a pretty clear idea regarding what to do now.

Seb

Thread Information