ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Pete ... :-(

Pete ... :-(

This is Pete...says he was a boxer, says he was an Airborne Ranger in Vietnam, says he is a drunk, and says he is sick. His face says all those things.

For a very fleeting moment in life, Pete and I became friends. He didn't ask me for money, he asked me to take his picture, and after I stuck around to listen to his drunken ramblings about the war going on in his head, and I gave him some $$, he suddenly stood at attention, saluted, and said, "Bless you, sir". He then turned and walked away, our friendship over. His battered face is still in my mind(taken yesterday in Baltimore, MD).

Olympus C-8080

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pete ... :-(-pete2-copy.jpg  

WOW! A touching story and an amazing picture to go with it. Wonderfully done Charles.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Mike

This may be...

Your best portrait to date Charles. His face speaks volumes and his story is told as only you can tell it.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Speechless, the photo say's it all. Nice work Charles
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Liz

Smile Friendship isn't over!

His face is still in your mind and I'm sure he will remember you, Charles, because he asked you a favor and you said yes. I'm struck by this photo, and your touching story brings it to life. I will pray for him.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    This is Pete...says he was a boxer, says he was an Airborne Ranger in Vietnam, says he is a drunk, and says he is sick. His face says all those things.

For a very fleeting moment in life, Pete and I became friends. He didn't ask me for money, he asked me to take his picture, and after I stuck around to listen to his drunken ramblings about the war going on in his head, and I gave him some $$, he suddenly stood at attention, saluted, and said, "Bless you, sir". He then turned and walked away, our friendship over. His battered face is still in my mind(taken yesterday in Baltimore, MD).

Olympus C-8080

Charles, the story and the photograph touched me so deeply, I couldn't move. I sat staring at Pete's face and thinking of how generous it was of you to give of yourself, and I don't mean the money. I'm with Liz, I believe he wont forget you!

Thank you for sharing such a poignant moment in your life. I know I won't forget
    Lara

So many Pete's

So many Pete's in this world and so few of us willing to spend a few minutes of our precious time to hear what they have to say. I salute you as well Charles, not just for your touching image, but for your humanity. Well done!

The moment may have happened quickly but both of you will probably carry that memory for a long time. I'm sure you made his day. Good work - and you've set a good example.

Thread Information