ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Skills Drills

Skills Drills

(maybe this should be in the projects forums)

I don't know if this has been done before here but is there any interest in doing a weekly (or bi-weekly, or whatever time) project to hone our photography skills? Not like the ones in the gallery--keep reading.

I think I (among everyone) could benefit greatly from it since I kinda forget some of my shooting techniques from the old days, plus with digital cameras techniques sometimes have to be modified. I also think it helps one learn the subtlties of ones camera. Plus, it's motivating when one has a task to complete.

It will work sorta like this:

1. I or someone post a drill. For example, "white on white."

2. Then whoever wants to join in that week, takes some pix of a scene with that component and presents their results sometime during the week. The drill will include things to consider while shooting the scene. The goal is to learn something about ourselves and our equipment using a common problem to solve.

3. This differs from a normal critic in that whoever is involved, will share the same experience like being in a classroom--a powerful way to learn.

4. I think beginners and advanced photographers can get something out of this.

5. Ideally participants will have manual mode cameras with broad f-stop range, a tripod, software like photoshop with histogram viewers, a flash.

Moderators. I would love to lead a forum on this.

Also, if this is a bonehead Idea(or I blatantly overlooked this going on in the forum), I can handle it and carry on with my shooting. I do distinguish this from the projects gallery in that there is a broad writeup when posting pix and feedback in the forum. Not just a gallery with photos and what was done. plus, it's not as general as the projects forum. These drills will be more specific and what to consider in something to do with a basic shooting technique rather than the subject.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-10-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Thread Information