ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question Shutter Stream Product Photograhy Software??

Hi Guys,

I was doing a little more research this morning on product photography lighting and techniques and was able to find what looks like a cool new software for product photography on Kickstarter (crowdfunding site if any of you are not familiar).
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...raphy-software

I would doubt anyone has any experience with it as it looks like it has not launched yet however looks like it will be perfect for shooting my friends products for his website. I was able to find out a little more about this product on their website How it Works - Shutter Stream Digital Photography Software - from what i see there are some cool features that should help me with my 'lack of experience'...

Does anyone have any experience shooting through software programs? Does it really help that much?

-Mark

Re: Shutter Stream Product Photograhy Software??

Mark, the product you refer to is only conceptual it seems, and hasn't been developed pending funding. While I will readily admit that I don't generally shoot product images to sell them, I have a difficult time understanding how a software package would be of particular use. This kind of work is typically done in a controlled environment with supplemental lighting, backdrops, tripods, etc., so where software helps during the shooting process would seem limited. I can potentially see tethering a camera to a laptop and shooting, essentially giving a larger LCD to view the frame, and perhaps transferring the image files to the laptop in real-time while shooting through a program like Lightroom or Canon's DPP...but again, I don't see the software taking any creative control off your shoulders.

You might post your question in the Software section of the forum - Photography Software & Post Processing or perhaps in Studio and Lighting - Studio & Lighting, where you are more apt to get it in front of other people who do product photography.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Re: Shutter Stream Product Photograhy Software??

Thanks for the reply Ken! p.s. loving the Gretzky quote - originally from Edmonton, Alberta Canada - home of gretzky in his hayday!

Anyways, yes, the application for this software would be for shooting my friends product line for his website. So I will be in a controlled environment shooting - i can see hopw this would not make sense for shooting outdoors - no one wants to lug around a laptop.

I do have access to a Photoshop trial version that I will begin to work with but this looks like it has some better functionality (if i understand correctly photoshop is simply for editing whereas this Shutter Stream software can actually take photos?).

Anyways, your right, it loooks conceptual. and they are far from there goal. I'll keep ya posted if i do buy it. And i didnt even realize there is a software section! haha oops - youre right, that would make more sense. Ill do so now!

-Mark

Thread Information