ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Show a woman's breast

on National Television
    and the people go apesh*t

Show a woman's body
    naked and bloodied
    on the battlefield
    And you're awarded the Pulitzer

Why is this?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Poison in the Senate?

Don't know Rick - but if it was intentional, they are giving the celabs just what they wanted.
    Meanwhile, some sort of poison was found in some mail to some senators, and that's buried in the paper somewhere. But Janet Jackson's mammary makes the headline.

Megan

You know

I watched the halftime show and completely missed it. It wasn't until Monday morning, when I was on the phone with my mom and we were scouring the web for a picture of it that I even knew it happened.

I guess the big deal was that it was "family entertainment". But I would have much rather have had my kids see a boob than the commercial for that Hugh Jackman movie with the vampires. Call me convervative, but that was a little more than I would have wanted my 3 yr old (who does watch football with us) to see. If there was going to be an issue with the quality of the Superbowl this year, my issue is with that, not with 2 seconds of boob.

adina

(who's pro-boob, anti-vampire)

I vote pro-boob also

We could get a small lobby going! ;)

I think you're right, why is it okay to show horses farting but a woman's body is obscene? I don't get it.

It shows our immaturity towards our own sexuality, I think.

And what about the game itself?

We watch a number of men run around a field for 4 hours running into each other, tackeling each other with all of their force and this is okay, it's "family entertainment."
    But a woman's breast (which gives life, not inconsequently) can't be shown for a fraction of a second.

whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywh ywhywhywhy
    Walter Rick Long

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

well spoken!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    We could get a small lobby going! ;)

I think you're right, why is it okay to show horses farting but a woman's body is obscene? I don't get it.

It shows our immaturity towards our own sexuality, I think.

And what about the game itself?

We watch a number of men run around a field for 4 hours running into each other, tackeling each other with all of their force and this is okay, it's "family entertainment."
    But a woman's breast (which gives life, not inconsequently) can't be shown for a fraction of a second.

whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywh ywhywhywhy

EXACTLY!!!!

personally i was watching the back of my eyelids until the last 1:04 of the game, but have recieved plenty of emails showing jewelry that i've seen first hand for more than 10 years!

call me crazy( jury is still out), but football is more damaging to society than a nude person.

btw.. my signature and avatar WILL change frequently depending on my mood
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Talking Why Indeed?

on National Television

Show a woman's body
    naked and bloodied
    on the battlefield

Why is this?

While I am definitely a conservative (but don't tell Paul that :-O), I've always wondered why showing a woman (or a child) naked, bloody, mutilated, or blown to bits is socially acceptable in the name of journalism, but showing a naked breast isn't acceptable.

Someone once asked, why showing a man cutting off a woman's breast gets an "R" rating (pick your basic slice and hack horror movie), but showing a man carressing a breast gets an "X" rating? It implies that committing violence against a woman is OK, but showing her affection isn't. What kind of message does this send? Is there something wrong with our values and morals?

The main criticism I've heard regarding the whole affair, isn't that her breast was revealed, but the way it was done. It was a rude, crass, vulgar display.

I'm with Rickster, bring on the breasts. In a soft, senuous manner, of course.

General Reply to all

Yes, I have to say - the commercials weren't even FUNNY, and they were certainly more offensive than a couple seconds of Janet booby. They all seemed to appeal to the absolute LOWEST common denominator. Millions of dollars, and all they could come up with was a horse farting on a woman that's happy because a man is trying to romance her? What's THAT message?! I have to say I DID like the AOL commercials. They, at least, weren't demeaning to either of the sexes.

Megan

Not too surprising that it's the only thing people in my office have been talking about since yesterday - even people passing around emails just in case you happened to miss it (like me). Kind of like the biggest story in politics being Howard Dean's scream (uh oh - not trying to start into politics, just another example). Most people I work with could tell you all about celebrity mole or the bachelor, but little else. Pretty frightening.

Hey, it happened, two seconds and it's over. Was it planned? DN/DC. It's a big deal because people are making it so.

I like Paul's idea of signatures and Avatars changing to reflect mood - I'm in "frustrated at work" mode right now if you couldn't tell...

well get a signature and avatar them

wait until i'm not just sick and bored(raining and have strep)

if i have a bad day..... LOOK OUT

i've been listening to static-x, pantera, mudvayne, slipknot, ministry, 50 cent, suicidal tendancies... ALL DAY trying to get out and test my new tokina 28-70ATX SV in natural light
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Some points you guys seem to be missing...

on National Television

Show a woman's body
    naked and bloodied
    on the battlefield

Why is this?
    First of all, I have to admit I was completely "ho-hum" over the whole JJ "boob tube" incident. My brother and I were both watching the halftime show, and when it happened we looked at each other, I said "did I just see what I think I saw?". He said, "yeah, I think so", I said "hmmm", and we both went back to watching the show.

My apathy was for two reasons (not even counting the fact that I realized she had a pastie on her nipple). One, because hardly ANYTHING on tv (or even in life) tends to shock me anymore. And two, Miss Jackson has had an obsession with her small breasts for what seems like an eternity now. If you've ever seen her videos, you may have come to the conclusion (like I have) that she's just about run out of ways to squeeze, squoosh, push, uplift, and basically force them into the viewer's face. It gets old...

But ok, enough about JJ's anatomy. There are two main points about the Superbowl telecast I want to make. Uh, that's in addition to the fact that, like Paul, it usually puts me to sleep...

One, the halftime show is NOT aimed at FOOTBALL fans in any way. And, considering MTV produced it this year, it was NOT meant to be FAMILY entertainment in any way. It was simply and plainly an attempt to market the performing artists and their products to their target audience. Say what you want about the content of the musical numbers that were performed, truth is the teens and even pre-teens (who buy this stuff) probably saw it as being no different than the music videos they watch all the time. Certainly not shocking or in bad taste to them...

Two, the general and overall target audience of the commercials aired during the telecast (and yes, I agree, as a whole they were pretty lame and tasteless this year) was NOT supposed to be families, either. The sponsors are targeting their most coveted sports-watching audience: 18-35 year old MALES.

And for whatever reason, Madison Avenue has determined that the general pulse of most of this mass, disposable income group can best be reached with what is now being labeled "frat-boy humor". IOW, sophomoric, POTTY HUMOR. When you look at it this way, the themes and content of the broadcast become much more understandable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending any of this, simply trying to explain the reasoning behind what you see. Personally, I have almost always found Superbowls disappointing, their halftime shows dreadful, and resented the fact that I often find myself glued to my seat during breaks just so I don't miss what may be a funny commercial.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I can empathize with young parents stuggling to raise "normal" kids in this environment. It's tough. Sad to say, advertisers and product marketing departments tend to turn a blind eye to families when there's so much money at stake. I also agree with the critical comments made about the acceptence of violence in tv programs and movies. The double standard there is getting harder and harder to take...

BTW, has anyone else mentioned the streaker that made his apperance right before the second half kickoff? Now THAT I found hilarious, even though CBS switched the cameras away from him as fast as they could. Anyone else have any thoughts on this???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Streaker

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    BTW, has anyone else mentioned the streaker that made his apperance right before the second half kickoff? Now THAT I found hilarious, even though CBS switched the cameras away from him as fast as they could. Anyone else have any thoughts on this???
    I saw a reply of his performance on the news. He wasn't actually streaking, was he? More like dancing around in a g-string, although they blurred his tush and groin area on the news. I found it to be funny but also rather gross - his body is not one I want to see naked and gyrating! LOL How about when that big football player leveled him? Oof!

The silliest thing I heard about it was an article in the newspaper (Calgary Herald). They said that despite extensive security at the game, he got in. Well duh... it wasn't like he was concealing any weapons.

Spike

The media, sigh...

I think the media is devoting much too much time to the whole incident. Who knows why. As someone else said, this is exactly what Janet Jackson was hoping for. I hope it backfires and all the publicity turns out to be negative for her.

I'm not going to argue about whether society is sexually immature, whether the Super Bowl is family entertainment, or whether showing a glimpse of a woman's breast is OK or not. What bothers me about the whole episode is that JJ and Timberlake KNEW they weren't supposed to do it, but they did it anyway. It is disregard for the rules in order to make more money by gaining publicity. It bothers me when people think they are special and can get away with breaking laws/rules. If she thinks it should be OK to flash one's boobs during the Super Bowl halftime show, then make that arguement and change the rules/laws.

Spike

Breasticles-Testicles

I watched Sleeping Beauty, which has the "MISTRESS OF ALL EVIL" and gave my daughter and myself a facial. With the hype of the Superbowl all around me...I chose wisely and ignored it. (Never did care for football anyway...I'm a basketball fan!)

I know they are there, the subtle changes in what is socially acceptable. Things change more rapidly now. Look at technology, things come done the pipe much faster, why should anything shock any of us.

The problem, in my view, is of young minds exposed to stimulus they aren't quite ready to process and understand. Sometimes they act out not knowing right or wrong and if parents do not monitor or try to steer in the right direction we end up with ignorance and immorality. There is a difference in portraying the beauty of the human body and just being vulgar.

My 2cents :-P
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

Ghost
    I think the media making a big deal out of boobs because it's expected that children were watching the super bowl too. Children shouldn't be shown boobs on TV.

Note; to those who respond "Boobs! What about [insert obscenity here]!!!" that's a different argument that I'm not willing to get involved with

I missed the streaker too

What was I watching that I missed all the good stuff?!? And about the security, I think they are refering to the security on the field, not necessarily getting into the stadium.

I also read that the reason that they had some many movie ads was because they are having a hard time selling spots for the price they ask. Television is no longer our main source of media. And with that TeVo thing, you can skip right over the commercials. Not only that, with the economy in the position it is in, I think companies are hesitant to spend millions of dollars for 30 seconds. Perhaps they should have thought about renting space on Janet's boob.....

I also read that there are regulations on what can be broadcasted during certain times, I think it was like 6 am to 10 pm, because these are considered the times families/children are viewing. Which is part of the reason for all the fuss. And while the Superbowl ads/shows may be directed towards college age guys, it still falls into "family viewing time"

That said, we don't watch a lot of tv at our house for these reasons. It's hard to predict whether or not the next thing that comes on will be something that we consider acceptable for our kids to see.

adina

Interesting replies.

I can only imagine the hue and cry if someone used an image of Jackson's pierced nasty silicone breast as their avatar on this forum.

For instance:

http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?fi...tposter&t=3237

They put me in an institution

Told me it was the only solution
    To get me the needed professional help
    And protect me from the enemy, myself.

And all I wanted was a Pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    i've been listening to static-x, pantera, mudvayne, slipknot, ministry, 50 cent, suicidal tendancies...
    Walter Rick Long

Reminds me of a passage from my favorite book:

"Your society puts sex - a very natural, normal function - under cover, and then kills people out in the open. That is the obscenity!"
    How true!!

It's like when I posted a link to two girls kissing on here and people got so uncomfortable with it that I began to regret having done it at all. But if they had been dead, lying in a ditch in Zimbabwe in that same pose it would've been "ART." Photojournalism, as you said, etc. I don't undertand the values we have collectively in this society. Some other societies seem a little more grown up than ours in this respect.

"I'm with Rickster, bring on the breasts. In a soft, senuous manner, of course"

I didn't know they came any other way

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Why do we feel ashamed to be naked?

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    call me crazy( jury is still out), but football is more damaging to society than a nude person.
    Yeah, but nude people don't pay the bills ;)

Really, what's it saying about us we're more comfortable watching violence than nudity? Do we have our values mixed up? And where did this "shame" come from, anyway? It's certainly not natural, as children are very naturally uninhibited about their bodies. It seems it's only after they're taught "shame" that they hide themselves and begin to "feel bad about feeling good."

hmm..

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

I think...

that children should be allowed to see nudity as they grow up, so they don't adopt the notion (subliminally, as it is) that being nude is "wrong." I don't think that t.v. is the best way to introduce kids to the human form. Nudity on tv usually comes in the form of sleeze, while nudity at home can come in whatever form you wish it to. I doubt seriously that any kids who saw that breast pop out knew what they were seeing. Are any kids out there still crying about being "offended?" No, it's us "adults." Of course, we're "doing it for the sake our kids!" who don't care. I imagine most kids are more worried about their PB&J than boobies.
    Quote Originally Posted by adina
    What was I watching that I missed all the good stuff?!?

They cut away from it pretty quickly. I didn't see it either and wouldn't have been the wiser had the announcers not said anything.
    Perhaps they should have thought about renting space on Janet's boob.....
    LOL I heard a news story once about a pregnant woman who was making a killing selling ad space on her bare belly as she went about town

That said, we don't watch a lot of tv at our house for these reasons. It's hard to predict whether or not the next thing that comes on will be something that we consider acceptable for our kids to see.

I watch Discovery, TLC, Home and Garden network.

Unless I have HBO, then I get to see all the free bobbies I want ;)

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Talking just one pepsi...

rick wrote:

"Unless I have HBO, then I get to see all the free bobbies I want ;)"

no no no, that's the BBC channel!

Megan

What ever happened to marching bands?

Interesting post Steve. I read while my boyfriend watched and relaxed. I looked up for replays when he yelped in joy. I half watched the halftime show - commented "Oh God, this is an embarassment - this is so lame! So stupid!" What ever happened to marching bands?! Man, in HS, we drilled over and over after school to hit our formations just right, and played at every home game. When I was a kid, I remember coming into the living room for the halftime show - marching bands were so cool! Come on, Fleetwood Mac used one in a song. Bring back the marching bands! The astronauts looked so out of place with that goofy guy singing some lame sappy song. A little pomp and circumstance goes a long way!

Megan

babyshakers..... like you'll fool me....HA!!!!!!

http://grover.de/moskito/images/babyshakers.jpg
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

My oldest used to watch the National Geographic channel with her dad. She can tell you all about bees, snakes, and cave exploring. I specify with her dad, because it was always to gross for me. Not a bug or a snake person.

adina

(not even counting the fact that I realized she had a pastie on her nipple)

no need for further discussion but.....

it's proper name is an nipple shield held in place by the barbell(which is her piercing jewelry)

http://www.tribalectic.com/NippleShields.asp

yes i'm knowledgable beyond birds, music, and photography....... hmmmmmm
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information