ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Short Notice UK - London Night ?

I've been inspired by the photos of London posted by Robert Stainforth.
    I'm not saying I'll get anything that good, but I want to try.

I'm going to London on the 10th November for the Canon EOS Discovery seminar.
    Afterwards I know I'm going to the Lord Mayor's Fireworks.

Is anyone interested in meeting up and taking some night shots ?

No special organisation, apart from bridge and embankment hopping along the Thames.
    Probably a travelcard will be needed to get from A to B, via perhaps Mornington Crescent.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Short Notice UK - London Night ?

Hi Paul .. sorry, I can't do the 10th. Let me know if you are up in town on any other dates.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Sorry Paul you can't play Mornigton Crescent when I can't make it - that is just not fair

As I already said can't make the day - hope you have fun.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Well I took a few photos, but my night photography needs to dramatically improve !
    However I'll not show you the failures
    The eye and mind the gap were taken with the LZ-5 after I put away the 1D.
    Noisy, the small sensor doesn't work well in low light, but adequate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Notice UK - London Night ?-p1070626.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-p1070683.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9467.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9475-edit.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9432.jpg  

PAul

A final few, can you spot the LZ-5 images ?
    Oh and I said I wouldn't show my mistakes ... all the LZ-5 shots were without tripod and it was a cold night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9494.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9483.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-p1070627.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-p1070647.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9364.jpg  

PAul

Paul,

Looks like you had a good time and some nice images coming home.

I love the wine glass on the traffic beacon - that is excellent.

I noticed they got the fireworks out for your visit. I did warn Ken you were coming. Glad he pulled out all the stops for you

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Thanks, I wonder what the other guy got (I should have photographed him) set up with his tripod and Nikon. His camera was stuck on Bulb and neither of us could work out how to get it back to normal. We both spotted the abandoned glass, and set up our tripods

BTW it's offical, a Leica M8 pulls the birds !
    Well it might have been two of us having an animated discussion on the fireworks, with our cameras on tripods unused - a beautiful young lady came up and started chatting with us. I think she just wanted to get her hands on the other guy's M8
    After about 10 minutes she apologised and said she had to go, her date had been very patient ... particularly since she almost purred at holding the Leica.
    She was a news cameraman (person, woman, whatever) and we had a good talk about fold-out screens, and how she doesn't feel it's a real camera when she's working, a video camera ought to sit on the shoulder and have an eyepiece viewfinder ... so she won't be buying the Olympus 4/3 for that feature !
    PAul

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Thanks, I wonder what the other guy got (I should have photographed him) set up with his tripod and Nikon. His camera was stuck on Bulb and neither of us could work out how to get it back to normal. We both spotted the abandoned glass, and set up our tripods

BTW it's offical, a Leica M8 pulls the birds !
    Well it might have been two of us having an animated discussion on the fireworks, with our cameras on tripods unused - a beautiful young lady came up and started chatting with us. I think she just wanted to get her hands on the other guy's M8
    After about 10 minutes she apologised and said she had to go, her date had been very patient ... particularly since she almost purred at holding the Leica.
    She was a news cameraman (person, woman, whatever) and we had a good talk about fold-out screens, and how she doesn't feel it's a real camera when she's working, a video camera ought to sit on the shoulder and have an eyepiece viewfinder ... so she won't be buying the Olympus 4/3 for that feature !
    Paul,

I'm sure it was your beard that got her attention because Mike and I know that yours was bigger than his M8

Isn't the bulb on the rotating knob as on the Canon's? Glad I chose Canon.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Just a few more, not sure about the colour balance on the fireworks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9383.jpg   Short Notice UK - London Night ?-vv9w9347.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    PAul

Thread Information