ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Screw the rules...

HEY! We can get rubber stamps!?!?!?

Where the heck have I been!??!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Communicates absolutely nothing to me. If the expression is important you should be closer. If religion is part of it, why only part of the "cross", and why does there seem to be GREEK on the cross? The angle does not communicate anything either except perhaps part of a cross growing out of the head of perhaps an eastern orthodox priest. So what?

Anyone can screw the rules and create a throw away shot and in that respect you have succeeded. So what?

Ronnoco
    I actually kind of feel the same as Ronnoco here. No emotion for me from this photo, nothing. And the one "rule" that was broken here that bugs me is how many distracting elements there are to this photo including the candle, plant, and edge of wall. I really don't find this shot successful either. Ronnoco is missing tact in his critique but he did provide reasons why he doesn't like the photo. Take it for what it's worth.

A Sebastianesque approach would normally have been a vertical composition where you woudln't see the stuff at the left and right sides of the photo and would just see the person and the same portion of the cross you see here. You can't blame Sebastian for trying something new but you also can't blame people for disliking it.

It's nice to be sensitive but Sebastian is a confident enough person that I don't think he needs people defending him. I'm pretty sure he likes all the comments he gets whether interpreted as personal attacks or not.

Edit: My post is also lacking tact

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Love It!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I love it.

And I'm the Captain.

Rubber stamp of approval!
    I second the motion!
    All in favor....
    Compostionally, it is unusal, but that's what works!
    I would be willing to bet that the pastor loves this photograph. What more could you ask!
    Brian
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Hi Trevor.... I have to say I agree with you that Sebastian doesn't need defending. I should've stayed away and let Ronnoco make his comments. Sebastian is thicker skinned than me..

At least Ronnoco can defend his statements, although rather blunt, and it wasn't personal.

As for the photo, it's not my cup of tea but people did get amped up over it plus and minus.

Loren

Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information