ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Scary Beijing

Scary Beijing

So it's been almost a year and Beijing is still interesting. But it's getting to the point where I think I'd rather be home after all. The past two weeks have shown the lengths the gov will go to stop protests. A couple of BBC reporters beaten by "unknown assailants" that no one can identify and can't be found on any cameras even though the city is COVERED by them. Photographers being stopped left and right, mainly foreign ones, and questioned and even detained for hours for "suspicious activities". And while going around a tourist spot with my D3X and a short lens, I was surrounded by 5 men, three in uniform, and 2 "sweepers" (secret service types dressed as street sweepers to keep too many people from gathering together; they stab at the people's feet with their brooms and tell them to move), and questioned. Luckily I had my passport which had a visa showing I lived in Beijing legally. They held on to my camera for long enough to start to make me nervous, then just took my card and gave me back the camera. Interestingly, the guy didn't notice the second card so at least it wasn't a total loss. But still scary. If anything Nobel Prize worthy ever did happen, I don't think I'd have the guts to take the shot. My hat goes off to the men and women who do!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Re: Scary Beijing

Wonderful account of life in China for a photographer. I'm sorry that I missed your move around the world but wish you all the best and hope there are many great image in your future.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for sharing your account here. Best of luck in Beijing. I've always wanted to visit China. Didn't think it was that bad, but maybe now with all these revolutions, they're over worried.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I like China and Beijing is my first choice.So thanks a lot for sharing information.

I like China and Beijing is my first choice.So,thanks for sharing Information.

Thread Information