ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Saratoga Battlefield

I haven't posted in a long time and can't think of a better place to start this other than Viewfinder.

This past weekend I took a trip to upstate NY for a car show, but on the way back went to the Saratoga Battlefield National Park. It was great and the timing coincidental since I'd just reached the part in my Franklin biography where we won at Saratoga and France finally gave it's official support and recognition of our new independence. Seeing and walking the battlefield gave me a whole new appreciation for what the rebels were up against and how amazing it is that we won in the end.

Here's the first of a string of pictures I'll add. It's a monument to the men of my home state and their contribution at the Battle of Saratoga. It's erected at the Neilson Farm which was taken over by colonial officers and the fortified line run basically right outside its door.

You can look up all kinds of info on the pivotal battle, but here's a sketch - The Battle of Saratoga in New York (October 1777) was the first significant victory for the fledgling Continental Army and signaled an upswing in foreign support for the American Revolution. Victory here kept British General Burgoyne from marching to Albany and taking control of the Hudson River which would have effectively split the New England colonies from her sisters and greatly weakened the collective power of the whole.

Re: Saratoga Battlefield

Here's a shot of the Neilson farmhouse which was taken over by Colonial officers during the Battle of Saratoga and became collateral damage; losing all crops and livestock. It's the only period building left on the site.

More photos in the Gallery.

That good huh? Ah well, can't be a crowd pleaser all the time. Here's one more in case anyone is holding her breath.

Really liked the second post but the last one was over the top. Love what you did in the post on it. It summer and I think a lot of our regulars are taking some time off to enjoy the great outdoors and travel. Post are down on all the boards.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information