ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Sand Cranes, and other Utah County photos - Images Included!!

I snuk down to these cranes in a meadow, got to within about 30 feet of them, doing an army crawl through tall grass and thistles. As with most wildlife I find, the shots are sort of at the animals discretion, they rarely cooperate or pose for me, hence stuff going out of the frame or lighting on the wrong side or whatever. I take what they give me =D

These were all taken up the Provo canyon and around the Heber area. I wish the cranes would have cooperated more, but I don't have a ton of experience stalking and shooting birds like this, and I wasn't prepared to wait around 10 hours a day for the perfect shot.

Feel free to tell me what you think of any of these, my Epson 2200 is fired up and ready to print something, I gotta have at least a few printable keepers from each trip.

Birds shot with 10D, 100-400L IS. The other stuff is with the 17-40L.

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

"The Birds"

Not being one to photography our ornithological friends, I'd say all of your bird images are good.
    I especially like the one where the bird is on the ground.

It's been a while since I have been through the Heber area.

Thanks for sharring these!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE

but Sean, you did pretty good(ok VERY GOOD) by getting 30 feet from them. next time you will get 25 feet away
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

They're orange!

I never realized sandhill cranes had so much dusty orange in their feathers. What a pretty color. I think you took some very nice shots. I like how #5 reminds me of pteradactyls.

Spike

[QUOTE=Sean Dempsey]I snuk down to these cranes in a meadow, got to within about 30 feet of them, doing an army crawl through tall grass and thistles. As with most wildlife I find, the shots are sort of at the animals discretion, they rarely cooperate or pose for me, hence stuff going out of the frame or lighting on the wrong side or whatever. I take what they give me =D

These were all taken up the Provo canyon and around the Heber area. I wish the cranes would have cooperated more, but I don't have a ton of experience stalking and shooting birds like this, and I wasn't prepared to wait around 10 hours a day for the perfect shot.

Feel free to tell me what you think of any of these, my Epson 2200 is fired up and ready to print something, I gotta have at least a few printable keepers from each trip.

Birds shot with 10D, 100-400L IS. The other stuff is with the 17-40L.
    Last edited by Spike; 06-28-2004 at 01:58 PM.

dude I'm impressed

the extent of my bird adventures is outfocused bird looking blurbs and birds that appear about as big as the cranes eyeball. these are nice shots and I really like the BW....
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    BTW............................................... .

I asked EVERYONE I know about your area!

the major parks and the areas I mentioned previously are my only leads for you.

BUT , I am still searching ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information