ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Remembering the Veterans!

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    The Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. Arlington National Cemetery.
    Amazing work. When you touch others with your work I think that's success. You've touched me with this shot.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If Mike can do it, so can I - because I didn't get there this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remembering the Veterans!-vv9w9251.jpg   Remembering the Veterans!-vv9w9272.jpg   Remembering the Veterans!-vv9w9296.jpg   Remembering the Veterans!-vv9w9284.jpg   Remembering the Veterans!-vv9w9294.jpg  

PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Thanks, Liz, for this thread.

I am pleased to see the responses and participation.

Please allow me to add my contribution ...
    Dave,

Your contribution is a reminder of all those who are most worthy to be honored in a special way. We can't forget. I'm so glad you posted this photo. It's beautiful - and a great contribution.

I'm also very happy that so many people contributed to the thread. I hope many veterans viewed the posts and photos.

Liz

Liz

Paul,

What beautiful shots! Viewing your images brought tears to my eyes. You captured some very touching moments. Thanks for sharing here.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Two images I took two years ago - but some newer forum members might not have seen them. They were taken at the "Field of Remembrance" at Westminster Abbey, an annual event at which a poppy is planted for each British serviceman or woman who fell in the service of their country. And there are so, so many of them. It is a sobering, yet hopeful place.

First: a quiet prayer
    Second: an old soldier searches for the names of his fallen comrades.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike,

These are very moving images. Yesterday I viewed them a few times as I was very moved. What a beautiful place - and you made it very personal with these photos. Thank you for sharing Westminster Abbey with us. It expands the emotional impact of Veterans Day here in America. It's good to share together.

Thanks.

Liz

Liz

Yesterday (Veteran's Day) I had a very emotional day. I had a great time sharing the honoring of the Veteran's at the Intrepid. I was so happy so many men and women were part of the ceremony - both Veterans and the active military. I almost always go to NYC to participate in the ceremonies, sometimes the Veteran's Day Parade which I missed yesterday due to the celebration at the Intrepid.

When I left the Intrepid to go home, as I approached Port Authority I saw a man walking with a walker and poorly dressed, although he did have a light coat on (it was about 40 degrees and windy). He had an extra torn T-shirt and a small bag of newspapers hanging over his walker. It looked like he was asking someone for money so he could get something to eat. The person shook his head "no" and walked away. I went over to the man begging and noticed an "official" laminated ID hanging by a chain around his neck. It looked almost new. On the top of the ID in bold letters it said "VETERAN" with a picture of the man on it, his name and the name of a Veteran's Hospital in Florida. He was NOT on drugs or alcohol. That was very obvious, although he may have had some mental problems. He was able to carry on a pretty rational conversation although he was rambling quite a bit. He told me his name and a little about himself. I gave him $10 hoping he would be able to at least get something to eat. We spoke for a while and his last words to me were "I know who I am, really I do." I assured him I would pray for him.

I made my way into Port Authority - just a few yards away to get the bus. I then thought I should have taken him somewhere and had something to eat with him - it would have meant a lot more as he enjoyed talking. I went back outside and walked up the block in the direction he was going, but couldn't find him. I was sorry I didn't think soon enough.

On the way home, I couldn't help but think that it was his day to be remembered, and he was only about 1/2 mile from where he should have been. I did thank God that I met him, and that we at least spent a few minutes together talking. And I prayed that he will meet some friends along the way that will encourage and support him.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience - seems like the right place to do it. His name is Francis if anyone would like to say a prayer for him - or just give a thought to him and all the Veterans that are out on the streets - for whatever reason.

Liz

The Poppies

Didache and SmartWombat
    Maybe it's because I went to elementary school in Canada and learned the poem, "In Flanders Fields the poppies grow..."

But your photos from the Field of Remembrance really get me. Also, it's not just United States veterans. All veterans fought for their countries, for their principles, and for those who couldn't or wouldn't. The unknown soldier monuments always get me, too.

I don't think about it much, but my grandfather fought in both world wars and I have family members serving now. Whether I agree with a war or not, I am grateful to those who serve.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Smart Wombat,your shots really brought me a sense of the day-those words are timeless -even if it was not this years' memorial,thank you.

Liz,that was a story worth sharing,the veteran you helped may be confused,but I bet he remembers your kindness.

Both sides of my Anglo-American family - (Father in law decorated for bravery,a chaplain who shot a sniper out of a tree,saving many lives amongst the men he cared for,my husband who served in Korea,an uncle who gave his life in WW2) - all have different views on war, agree any act of service and bravery should always be honored and remembered..

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Correction: I would be honored...
    Let's make it happen then John..
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information