ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Remember my Golden Gate Bridge photograph?

Remember back in August when I posted a picture of the Golden Gate bridge, with a guy in front of it, filming? We had no idea what he was filming, remember?

I'll bet anything it was this guy:

(if you can access the AOL website): http://tinyurl.com/5zl36

(if you can't, here's a shorter, less informative article): http://tinyurl.com/4gwmb

And here's the original picture: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...tid=6142&stc=1

(or if that doesn't work, try this): http://tinyurl.com/62ynl
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: Remember my Golden Gate Bridge photograph?

He filmed 19 people committing suicide...That's messed up...

Here's a lengthier, more informative Yahoo! article. What a depressing job that must be eh?!

Thanks! I think that's actually the AOL article. Which is really from USA Today.

I hated posting the aol link because you need a membership to view it, so I'm glad you found the same article on a non-membership site.

Tanks again!

I guess they're going to be even tougher on the no photography policy now...

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Thanks! I think that's actually the AOL article. Which is really from USA Today.

I hated posting the aol link because you need a membership to view it, so I'm glad you found the same article on a non-membership site.

Tanks again!
    No problem, most of the news on yahoo is Associated Press stuff anyways so it makes its way around the sites.

Crazy story though,

Jared

Ghost

I'll reserve judgement until the documentary is produced. No one in the article spoke of motive . If it's money, I can understand that. Maybe he wants to convince the government to pay for protection against suicides in these areas. Maybe he's trying to bring attention to things people aren't aware of.

Until we see the documentary, we really don't know why he's making it.

There's one interesting thing I noticed when reading the articles. The people who commented about the man that were never interviewed by him didn't like what he was doing at all. But the people that he did interview didn't seem to have a problem with it and hoped that something good would come out of it. I'm sure this wasn't always the case but that's what the articles indirectly suggest to me.

I don't know the laws behind this stuff but I don't have any ethical issues with him filming someone's suicide in the way he is. Now, if people knew they were being filmed or if he'd spoke with any of the would be suiciders beforehand then I think I'd have a serious problem with it. (of course they might know now!)

In my mind, this isn't much differenct than someone standing around at a nascar race waiting for a nasty car wreck to kill someone and hoping to get it all on tape. You know it'll happen eventually right?

Like I said, it's all about purpose for me. Why is he doing it?

I don't have a judgement on this guy, either. I agree wholeheartedly with you, Trevor.

I just think it's neat that I eventually found out what he was doing there. And that I documented someone who eventually made the news for what I documented him doing.

I wonder if I should contact someone at AP and see if they want my picture?

I wasn't trying to be a heartless, cold, cruel person with my previous response; it just came out that way.

Trevor put it better than I did - you'd have to see his finished work to have an opinion about it. There are so many different ways that it could be presented that it's hard to know what to feel from reading the story.

I guess my take on it is that the suicides would have happened anyway. He did not make them happen.

He was on public property, photographing things that people were doing publicly.

If he makes a documentary on it, I guess he has the right. I would hope he treats the subject with respect. If he doesn't, I don't have to like it, but I guess he has the right to do it.

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    I wonder if I should contact someone at AP and see if they want my picture?
    Hi Kelly!

Most definitely! If this could get you some $ to indulge in your art, why not? The only thing is that you need to make sure that this IS the guy indeed.

It's a great shot by the way! He actually may be interested in getting a print.

On the matter of the subject at hand, I do not know what to think, honestly. I think that a documentary based on some of his images can be very moving and might generate some very interesting questions and reflections concerning the Society in which we live. I just hope that he will not turn it into a voyeuristic show.

Cheers,

Steph.

Thread Information