ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Reason for my absence...

I have been off the boards for a few day, but for what I think was a pretty good reason. I have been in Nashville for the birth of my first grandchild. I can now announce that my daughter Stephanie gave birth Monday afternoon to a 7 lb. 11 oz. baby boy. Jackson David arrived at 4:38 pm local time with a very strong pair of lungs that had his two grandmothers, waiting in the hall out side the delivery room, beaming from ear to ear. We are tickled to death to say the least. Both mother and baby are doing great and are on their way home as I write this. I know I should post a picture of mother and baby but they couldn't get Jack away from grandpa Larry long enough to get a picture with anyone else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reason for my absence...-dsc_8300.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You know Larry...

The pic you have for your avatar and this one here just don't seem like the same man.
    This one seems more like the real you.
    Which is a good thing!
    Have Fun Grandpa!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: You know Larry...

Awww, bless you both! What an awesome shot Larry. He's a beautiful boy! Congratulations to you and your lovely family.

My daughter will be giving birth tomorrow. Her baby just doesn't know it's time to come into the world, so she is being induced. This will be my 4th grandchild. I pray he's a healthy baby just like your new grandson!

You're right Brian, I never believed for a minute that Larry is a "professional grouch"...hehe, not with those charming baby blues! I would say he looks to be a very proud and happy grandpa.
    Lara

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Reason for my absence...

(CENSORED) GREAT !!!!!!!!! was my first thought... as I nearly cried ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Liz

Talking Congratulations Grandpa!

What an awesome picture! You should put this here as your avatar!

Congratulations to you, Grandma - and of course Stephanie! What a beautiful baby boy! And such a wonderful photograph.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep posting those new baby pics.

BTW, speaking of smiling ear to ear.....

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I have been off the boards for a few day, but for what I think was a pretty good reason. I have been in Nashville for the birth of my first grandchild. I can now announce that my daughter Stephanie gave birth Monday afternoon to a 7 lb. 11 oz. baby boy. Jackson David arrived at 4:38 pm local time with a very strong pair of lungs that had his two grandmothers, waiting in the hall out side the delivery room, beaming from ear to ear. We are tickled to death to say the least. Both mother and baby are doing great and are on their way home as I write this. I know I should post a picture of mother and baby but they couldn't get Jack away from grandpa Larry long enough to get a picture with anyone else.

Congratulations to you OT. You look like a very happy Pro Grouch... And what a beautiful child.
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

It is very hard to express how one feels at times like this. One thing is for sure there was no Old Grouch around that sweet little guy. Thanks so much to all my friends here at PR for your kind words and Lara my best thoughts and prayers are with you as you once again experience this wondrous event.

And I believe that the beautiful lady below was the photographer on the image above. This was about 15 minutes after the delivery and I think you can see from her face how proud she is of her first born's first born. No one knows better what their daughter has gone through then their Mom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reason for my absence...-dsc_8232.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Well I'd say that's a good reason! Congrads to the new grandfather! Oh, and you don't have any of us fooled with the "professional grouch" thing...

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congrats OT!!! Thanks for sharing your new family with your online family.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Larry,

Congratulations on the good news. My hope and prayers goto your family and hope that you spend much time with your family and grow close!

Congrats,

Jared

[QUOTE=Old Timer]It is very hard to express how one feels at times like this. One thing is for sure there was no Old Grouch around that sweet little guy. Thanks so much to all my friends here at PR for your kind words and Lara my best thoughts and prayers are with you as you once again experience this wondrous event.
    Thank you Larry. The photo of you, and now this one of your beautiful wife and Jack has put the biggest smile on my face. Congratulations and enjoy! It's a whole new world having grandkids!

No one knows better what their daughter has gone through then their Mom.
    You got that right!
    Lara

Liz

Such a beautiful wife.........and grandson.

Do they live near you? I hope you see him often. I'm so happy for you and your wife OT.

God bless your beautiful family!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    It is very hard to express how one feels at times like this. One thing is for sure there was no Old Grouch around that sweet little guy. Thanks so much to all my friends here at PR for your kind words and Lara my best thoughts and prayers are with you as you once again experience this wondrous event.

And I believe that the beautiful lady below was the photographer on the image above. This was about 15 minutes after the delivery and I think you can see from her face how proud she is of her first born's first born. No one knows better what their daughter has gone through then their Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Such a beautiful wife.........and grandson.

Do they live near you? I hope you see him often. I'm so happy for you and your wife OT.

God bless your beautiful family!

Liz
    Thank you for your blessing and kind words. I wish they were closer to us, but they live in Nashville, TN about a 5 hour drive from where we are in North Eastern Kentucky. It makes for a good weekend trip. Going down isn't bad we gain an hour with the time zone change but coming back we lose it and we always seem to be late coming home. I left Joy in Nashville last night so she could help with the baby for a few day. I don't think a team of wild horses would have pulled her home once she saw that grandson. Made kind a long trip for me by myself last night didn't get in untill about 2 this morning so the work day has seemed a little long today. But the good part is by leaving her there I get to go back and get her this weekend and then I get to see Jack again. I'm sure he'll be saying grand dad by then, after all he will be nearly week old.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. I feel very blessed.

Nikon Samurai #13

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Congratulations OldTimer! We'll cut you some slack for the absence I guess, seeing as you posted an image of the little guy as proof.

Seriously though, best wishes to your family!

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

what a sweet delicious little pumpkin. Congratulations to all of you and warmest hugs and wishes...I'm so excited for all of you...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

learning member

Congratulations, Grandpa!!!
    You've got a big bright glowing BEAM Yourself there!
    Thats one cute baby boy!
    Nice photo,
    Mark.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Now Larry,

I just have one more thing to add here, and that is...............

With such a beautiful wife named JOY... why are you not a Professional JOYful person?

BTW.... You are now OFFICIALLY OLD..... GRANDPA ;) Don't feel too bad though, because in august or so I will be an uncle and my 53 year old father will be OLD too on that great day ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Look at that resemblance!!! Jackson's nose and cheeks are just like Larry's.
    He has Larry's hair too.
    Congrats to Stephanie and the happy grandfolk. Try to have some good weather for when I pass through Ky and TN on the way to a rally in NC next week, Larry.
    ----------------------------

Thanks once again to all my on line friends for your kind words and to those that have made comments about Jackson looking like me, please let's not wish that on the poor kid. Just phoned Grandma Joy and she passed along the word that he has sleep and eaten well since coming home from the hospital Wed around noon. All seems to be going well for both mother and son. I have made the rounds of all my haunts in my small home town with a whole file folder packed with pictures of the new grandson. I have been very gracious and excepted all the complements in humble fashion and have taken all the credit for the miracle event. Now when Joy gets home I guess I will have a lot of explaining to do.

I guess I should re-think my PR (Professional Grouch) monaker. I always thought it was pretty close, but can't let little Jack think that now can I.

What part of KY and TN will you be coming thru Chunk and when. I'm thinking down US65 if so you will be within a about two miles of little Jack. If it's US75 than that's about an hour from where I live.

Nikon Samurai #13

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

She's beautiful.
    Congratulations.

Megan

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Congrats on the little one gramps. Milestones in life can be pretty cool, My oldest just got his restricted drivers license yesterday. Anyone visiting south florida, beware, buckle up and wear your helmet.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Pentax Forum Moderator

I'm new to these boards, but please accept my congratulations to you and your family. The first one is wonderful..hehe..my 7th one is due in August. He will be our 3rd one since Christmas day...busy daughters last year...haha...Hope you enjoy Jack as much as I enjoy all of mine!!!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Congrats on the little one gramps. Milestones in life can be pretty cool, My oldest just got his restricted drivers license yesterday. Anyone visiting south florida, beware, buckle up and wear your helmet.
    Thanks, and I think that is the first time I have been called Gramps. I wonder how long it takes to get use to that? My youngest turned 22 this year and I now have all of mine thur that young driver period. It's a tough time when you hve young drivers in the household. Lots of worry time for mom and dad. And don't forget about the increase in auto insurance. You could buy some very serious camera equipment for what that increase will cost you over the next few years. Good luck!

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    I'm new to these boards, but please accept my congratulations to you and your family. The first one is wonderful..hehe..my 7th one is due in August. He will be our 3rd one since Christmas day...busy daughters last year...haha...Hope you enjoy Jack as much as I enjoy all of mine!!!
    Ken
    Thanks Ken and welcome to the boards, hope you get as much pleasure from PR as I have over the last few years.

Seven grandchildren!! Three since Christmas!!! Boy did you guys do a great job with the birds and bees thing. May need to call on you for some advice on this grand parenting thing. I'm off to TN again this weekend to get another glimpse of the little guy, can't wait.

Hope to see some of your photographs soon on the boards. Nice to have you aboard Ken.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information