ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Guess I know which roll I wll try developing first
    You still haven't tried it? Yeah, that would be a good one to do first.

    Greg, it did take quite awhile to get comfortable with it. My scanner doesn't have ICE so I have to spot out the dust, one piece at a time. I use a Giottos Rocket Air blower on the slide before it goes into the scanner, but even that doesn't get all of it off. I would guess that newer and better (and of course, more expensive) scanners make even better results much easier.

  2. #27
    Film Forum Moderator Xia_Ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mainahh
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    You still haven't tried it? Yeah, that would be a good one to do first.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know I haven't ordered chemicals, storage bottles, or a scanner yet. I have car inspection coming up which I am going to need a new set of tires and new exhaust system. I did have a little bit of extra disposable cash but, ended buying the Canonet and film with it No matter though... I was practicing loading reels last night and was doing fine out of the bag. Everytime I tried doing it in the bag though I ended up slipping the damn reel :mad2: All things in due time, right?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

  3. #28
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    All things in due time, right?
    Yup. You wouldn't think it would be any different loading a reel with your eyes closed versus doing it in the bag, but the reality is much different... No clue why that is. I think I might have mentioned before that sometimes it gets frustrating and you need a break. Just drop the film inside the canister (that's inside the bag too), put the lid on it and then you can take your hands out of the bag. IME if it doesn't go on the reel on the first or at least second try, then try it again later.

  4. #29
    Senior Shooter Greg McCary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rome Ga.
    Posts
    10,550

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Gary,
    Did you take any pics of this process?
    I'd love to see it, or anything related to this process.
    Maybe you could post a pic of what these seals look like.
    I am not familiar at all with this camera so I am just curious about it.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Brian I didn't think to take pictures of the process but I am looking to get another RF. I want one with a bit wider lens. Maybe 24mm. I am actually thinking of a Russian Fed or Kiev, I have read that some of the Russian RF's are basically Leica knockoffs and the lenes on some of them are pretty good. I heard a story that the guy that originally made the Leica lenses got mad, packed his bags and equipment and made cameras in Russia? I am not sure how true the story is it could be internet BS who knows? But I do think they are some good Russian RFs out there...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

    Sony a99/a7R

  5. #30
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know I haven't ordered chemicals, storage bottles, or a scanner yet. I have car inspection coming up which I am going to need a new set of tires and new exhaust system. I did have a little bit of extra disposable cash but, ended buying the Canonet and film with it No matter though... I was practicing loading reels last night and was doing fine out of the bag. Everytime I tried doing it in the bag though I ended up slipping the damn reel :mad2: All things in due time, right?
    Let's stop the talking about photography and get out there and do some photography!
    OK?
    OK!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  6. #31
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Brian I didn't think to take pictures of the process but I am looking to get another RF. I want one with a bit wider lens. Maybe 24mm. I am actually thinking of a Russian Fed or Kiev, I have read that some of the Russian RF's are basically Leica knockoffs and the lenes on some of them are pretty good. I heard a story that the guy that originally made the Leica lenses got mad, packed his bags and equipment and made cameras in Russia? I am not sure how true the story is it could be internet BS who knows? But I do think they are some good Russian RFs out there...
    Greg
    I have heard similar stories, but beyond that I don't know much Russian RF cameras.
    I am very happy with my Voigtlander R2A, so I would recommend it highly.
    I have heard the Voigtlander's referred to as the "Poor man's Leica" for what its worth.
    I don't think they are as "solid" as a Leica, but I think they are well made.
    Check out www.cameraquest.com it's where I bought mine as well as Paul.
    If you haven't already checkout www.rangefinderforum.com too.
    A few of us in the thread are there, under the same names.
    They have manufacturer specific forums(Voigtlander and Canon to name two) there as well as a general RF one too.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  7. #32
    Film Forum Moderator Xia_Ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mainahh
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Let's stop the talking about photography and get out there and do some photography!
    OK?
    OK!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    I did I took a break from doing crap around the house to get out for a hike with the D50 and Canonet :thumbsup: Unfortunately, rain clouds started to move in and now it's sprinkling outside
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

  8. #33
    Film Forum Moderator Xia_Ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mainahh
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yup. You wouldn't think it would be any different loading a reel with your eyes closed versus doing it in the bag, but the reality is much different... No clue why that is. I think I might have mentioned before that sometimes it gets frustrating and you need a break. Just drop the film inside the canister (that's inside the bag too), put the lid on it and then you can take your hands out of the bag. IME if it doesn't go on the reel on the first or at least second try, then try it again later.
    I'm not sure where I was going wrong. I have a Paterson Super System 4 that has these autoloading reels. Not sure if you're familiar with it but, it has these little ball bearings to hold the film in place but, for some reason I kept slipping out of those while loading in the bag :mad2: Oh well, I'll practice some more later.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

  9. #34
    Senior Shooter Greg McCary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rome Ga.
    Posts
    10,550

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    I'm not sure where I was going wrong. I have a Paterson Super System 4 that has these autoloading reels. Not sure if you're familiar with it but, it has these little ball bearings to hold the film in place but, for some reason I kept slipping out of those while loading in the bag :mad2: Oh well, I'll practice some more later.
    Ok, I got a dumb question. Why can't you find a room, bathroom that is totaly dark, put a towel under the door and use a dark room light. I have a room in the basement that has no outside window and it is complete darkness with the light out. Could I get a darkroom bulb and load one of these Paterson Super System 4's and then process my own film? What do you do after you get it loaded to develope the film? I want to do this.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

    Sony a99/a7R

  10. #35
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Ok, I got a dumb question. Why can't you find a room, bathroom that is totaly dark, put a towel under the door and use a dark room light. I have a room in the basement that has no outside window and it is complete darkness with the light out. Could I get a darkroom bulb and load one of these Paterson Super System 4's and then process my own film? What do you do after you get it loaded to develope the film? I want to do this.
    Greg
    NO!!! Don't do it! Okay, I just wanted to be dramatic. But seriously, don't. Dark room lights are for printing, not for loading film on reels. Film must be handled in complete darkness, wherever complete darkness can be found. I have a window-less bathroom that I use, and I only do it at night, when I'm alone, with all the neighboring room's/hall's lights turned out, for extra protection. As long as you take precautions, and test them with your own eyes, you can probably find a suitable room or closet in almost any house.

    After you get the film on the reel, and the reel in the closed tank, you can turn the lights on and starting mixing soup. There are too many details to discuss here, but my recommendation is to get a Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, and do some searching on the web.

    Paul

  11. #36
    Senior Shooter Greg McCary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rome Ga.
    Posts
    10,550

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    NO!!! Don't do it! Okay, I just wanted to be dramatic. But seriously, don't. Dark room lights are for printing, not for loading film on reels. Film must be handled in complete darkness, wherever complete darkness can be found. I have a window-less bathroom that I use, and I only do it at night, when I'm alone, with all the neighboring room's/hall's lights turned out, for extra protection. As long as you take precautions, and test them with your own eyes, you can probably find a suitable room or closet in almost any house.

    After you get the film on the reel, and the reel in the closed tank, you can turn the lights on and starting mixing soup. There are too many details to discuss here, but my recommendation is to get a Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, and do some searching on the web.

    Paul
    Thanks Paul, I have a well suited room. I mean dark.... If all I need is this thing. a dark room and some "soup" I will buy one. I will take a look at the data guide.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

    Sony a99/a7R

  12. #37
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I have heard similar stories, but beyond that I don't know much Russian RF cameras.
    I am very happy with my Voigtlander R2A, so I would recommend it highly.
    I have heard the Voigtlander's referred to as the "Poor man's Leica" for what its worth.
    I don't think they are as "solid" as a Leica, but I think they are well made.
    Check out www.cameraquest.com it's where I bought mine as well as Paul.
    If you have already checkout www.rangefinderforum.com too.
    A few of us in the thread are there, under the same names.
    They have manufacturer specific forums(Voigtlander and Canon to name two) there as well as a general RF one too.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    Just to add to what Brian said...

    I am also very happy with my Voigtlander R2A, and the two lenses I have (35/2.5 and 50/2). Stephen at Camera Quest is good to deal with and offers good prices, so unless I'm buying used, I doubt I'll buy anywhere else. Voigtlander build quality is probably not up to Leica standards, but it's plenty good for me. It feels much more solid than any of the modern plastic SLRs I've used. The lens optics are incredible for the price.

    For absolute biggest bang for the buck, I think there are some pretty good Russian lenses out there, but there are also some bad ones. (I haven't actually used any of them myself.) You should definitely read up on them before buying and make sure there are no compatibility issues with whatever body you're mounting them on. RFF is a good place to start your research.

    Paul

  13. #38
    Film Forum Moderator Xia_Ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mainahh
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Greg, the problems aren't caused by the bag. There's plenty of room in the bag to maneuver, it's just I need more practice doing it by feel. It's a whole new ball game. There's really no difference between the bag or doing it with my eyes closed. I've been controlling the autoloading function of the reel with one hand while holding the film spool in the other. I just seem to be having a problem keeping them lined up which causes one side to pop out of the ballbearing of the reel. Luckily I have a bunch of expired Kodak Max that cost me about 40 cents a roll to practice with.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

  14. #39
    Film Forum Moderator Xia_Ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mainahh
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    ...I will take a look at the data guide.
    There are a boatload of used copies on Amazon right now. All the tech info on their films, chemicals, papers, etc is available here. If your interested in the Paterson set-up click here or here. You should give it a shot Greg. Would be fun to have someone to learn with :thumbsup:

    Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

  15. #40
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    To practice rolling film onto developing reels, you can take a long, dark,coat, like a rain coat to simulate a changing bag.
    With the coat open and spread out, put the film and reel in the chest area, and do up all of the buttons, zippers, etc..
    Then fold up the bottom half once or twice.
    From there put your hands down the sleeves and there you go!
    Just a suggestion, if done in a room that isn't exactly dark it will do the trick.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  16. #41
    light wait photophorous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,910

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks Paul, I have a well suited room. I mean dark.... If all I need is this thing. a dark room and some "soup" I will buy one. I will take a look at the data guide.
    You'll need a little more than reels, tanks, and soup, but you can probably get everything you need to start out for $60-70. It will pay for itself in no time.

    I suspect you could just google "B&W film developing" and find tons of info. After you do a little research, come back with some more specific questions. I'm happy to help people get started with this kind of thing, because there's nothing like pulling that film out of the tank and seeing your results.

    Paul

  17. #42
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Talking Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    because there's nothing like pulling that film out of the tank and seeing your results.

    Paul
    AMEN!
    I couldn't have said it better myself!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  18. #43
    Senior Member freygr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    2,523

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Ok, I got a dumb question. Why can't you find a room, bathroom that is totaly dark, put a towel under the door and use a dark room light. I have a room in the basement that has no outside window and it is complete darkness with the light out. Could I get a darkroom bulb and load one of these Paterson Super System 4's and then process my own film? What do you do after you get it loaded to develope the film? I want to do this.
    Greg
    I'm sorry but no light at all until you have loaded ALL the film on the developing reels and installed the tank lids. The safe light is only used with Xray film or B&W printing. Color printing no safe light from the time you take out the paper until the stop bath.
    GRF

    Panorama Madness:

    Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

  19. #44
    Senior Shooter Greg McCary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rome Ga.
    Posts
    10,550

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    I'm sorry but no light at all until you have loaded ALL the film on the developing reels and installed the tank lids. The safe light is only used with Xray film or B&W printing. Color printing no safe light from the time you take out the paper until the stop bath.

    Thanks, I have been doing some intenet studying. I am going to try to round up some supplies.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

    Sony a99/a7R

  20. #45
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: Ray & Aaron QL17 Lightseal change

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks, I have been doing some intenet studying. I am going to try to round up some supplies.
    Cool - there have been a couple of recent threads in Help about this too. Like Paul said, there is nothing like pulling the developed negs out of the tank and seeing the results! Downloading a bunch of files to your hard drive just doesn't give you quite the same feeling of accomplishment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •