ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

RAW - JPG differences

You can't se the difference between the two formats most of the time on the computer displays as the computer display cards are 8 bit per color, but the differences are there and do come into play during editing and post processing you images, included printing to your printer.

Print services if they will take 16 bit color depth files only then would you be able to tell the difference but most will not be able to see it.

Attached are 4 images with different color depths, two any one will be able to tell the difference and two are close in color depth.

Between 1 and 2 which one is the original (no peeking at the file names )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAW - JPG differences-dsc_4865-org-copy.jpg   RAW - JPG differences-dsc_4865_32k-color-copy.jpg   RAW - JPG differences-dsc_4865_256color-copy.jpg   RAW - JPG differences-dsc_4865_16-color-copy.jpg  
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Re: RAW - JPG differences

Well, I am not that good at guessing games, but I do like a challenge. If I had to choose, I would say that the first one is the original, as the second one looks like it has been lightened up a bit - maybe a change in Exposure or Fill Light adjustment and/or Brightness. My 0.02¢ worth.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

NSSA/AIPS

The "problem" with this guessing game is that the original RAW had to be converted to a web friendly format to be displayed here.. right? ;-)
    It's not about the camera....

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    Well, I am not that good at guessing games, but I do like a challenge. If I had to choose, I would say that the first one is the original, as the second one looks like it has been lightened up a bit - maybe a change in Exposure or Fill Light adjustment and/or Brightness. My 0.02¢ worth.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris350
    The "problem" with this guessing game is that the original RAW had to be converted to a web friendly format to be displayed here.. right? ;-)
    This was a change of color depth, only! One is 8 bit per color, 5 bit per color, indexed 256 colors (total of 8 bits), and last indexed 16 colors (total of 4 bits). All were modified from the original image.

The changes in the images are due to color depth changes only. Web is limited to 8 bit color depth only.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

That's all well and fine, but you're trying to say that color depth is the same as color space, and that's not quite acurate. sRGB has blues that are not present in Adobe98, even though it's a larger color space. While the differences between 1 & 2 don't seem so drastic, you're not dealing with a wide range of colors either. I would bet you that if you counted the number of colors present in #1 it wouldn't be more than a few shades over #2 if any at all. Ever notice how some of your .jpg files are larger than others? It's partly because there is more color information in them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    That's all well and fine, but you're trying to say that color depth is the same as color space, and that's not quite acurate. sRGB has blues that are not present in Adobe98, even though it's a larger color space. While the differences between 1 & 2 don't seem so drastic, you're not dealing with a wide range of colors either. I would bet you that if you counted the number of colors present in #1 it wouldn't be more than a few shades over #2 if any at all. Ever notice how some of your .jpg files are larger than others? It's partly because there is more color information in them.
    The Color space is the same on all 4 images. I put this up to show the difference between RAW and JPG 12 bit color depth to 8 bit color depth.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

I think Picture 1 Is the best.Can you tell me Which is Jpg and which one is Raw format?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykemic99
    I think Picture 1 Is the best.Can you tell me Which is Jpg and which one is Raw format?
    There are 4 color depths. To display RAW your video card and monitor must be able to display 12 to 16 bits of color depth. Most are limited to 8 bit color depth so RAW is reduced to 8 bit color depth to display. But the deference between 1 and 2 is what you loose between RAW and 8 bit non-lossy files. As space requirements for posting I had to use JPG compression and the compression settings are basically the same for all the photos.

Photo 1 is the Original 8 bit per color
    Photo 2 is 5 bit per color
    Photo 3 is 256 color with a pallet (indexed color)
    Photo 4 is 16 color with a pallet (indexed color)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Yes my raw files are 12 bits/colour, not 8 (that's 36 bit)
    Nvidia cards have supported 30 bit colour (the other 1 bits do nothing) since 2009.
    But my BenQ FP241W only supports 16.7 million colours.
    DeepColor monitors aren't cheap though at £1600

Perhaps more info than you wanted
    http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/...01_v02_new.pdf
    http://library.creativecow.net/artic...eplacement.php
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Yes my raw files are 12 bits/colour, not 8 (that's 36 bit)
    Nvidia cards have supported 30 bit colour (the other 1 bits do nothing) since 2009.
    But my BenQ FP241W only supports 16.7 million colours.
    DeepColor monitors aren't cheap though at £1600

Perhaps more info than you wanted
    http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/...01_v02_new.pdf
    http://library.creativecow.net/artic...eplacement.php
    The LCD's most only support like you said 16.7 million colors. CRT's if you had 30 bit per color output you got 30 bit color. CRT's had to be color/brightness calibrated often and were power hungry also. CRT also are big and heavy specially the large 17 inch or larger monitors. I do not miss the cost of the CRT ($300 and up) or the space required. I do have a large CRT in storage in the basement.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Thread Information