ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: The Quest...

The Quest...

Sometimes the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. I think the chocolate chip cookie is an excellent example of this, and after seeing a recent episode of Good Eats on the Food Network (any other fans out there?) I think I found the perfect recipe. Well, all it needs is toasted pecans and we've got culinary Nirvana. Big, chewy, done on the edges and soft in the middle. Life is good.

These aren't for me though, a co-worker is in the National Guard and been in New Orleans for a week and a half. Friday is his birthday, so we're FedEx-ing some things to him to make that day a little better. He's got some stories...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Quest...-dscf3115.jpg  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: The Quest...

They look great Steve!!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Now I am hungry AGAIN FOOD NETWORK HUH...

I know Michelle must have seen that , because the food network is on my livingroom tv nearly every time I walk through it ;) Go figure, My TV has the outdoor channel, nature channel, discovery chanels or..... " your watching the military channel".

You rock sending him a care package !

BTW... let ME in on the stories if you would, I have gotten a few 1ST hand accounts from a few people in baton rouge and 1 from norleans ;)

PM me for my email address if you'd like to share.... THE TRUTH that the news will never tell!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

He won't be back for a couple of weeks because his orders with the State were for four weeks, but Federal can add four weeks to that. He talked to another person here yesterday, and he's doing security for the rescuerers and cleanup He said that the pictures we've seen on the news don't do justice to the actual situation. The sights, the smells, etc - just unbelieveable. I'll talk with him when he makes it back.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I don't want your thread to turn into a new orleans thread, but... poor neighborhoods make for cheap property value for OIL , SEWAGE AND TOXIC CHEMICALS which are now in the flooded areas. And I know what is happening ;) The US news is NEVER the WHOLE story !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ghost

I'm a big Good Eats fan. I was fortunate enough to find an ad in the paper a few months back that Alton Brown was doing a show at the local mall. So I went and had a blast seeing him in person doing what he does. In person he is EXACTLY the same kinda fellow he is in the show. The audience would ask questions and he'd respond with some snipey comment that were hilarious. All in good fun of course but I could see the supre sensitive folk getting a little uneasy.

He did some things I'd seen in some of his shows including the "drying out beef jerky with a box fan and furnace vent".

It was fun, lasted about an hour. He was followed up by some local brewery folk which you'll never hear me complaining about either.

So yeah, fan boy here I don't watch much TV anymore but I'll watch Good Eats if it's on.

About the cookies, I'm sure they taste great by I have abone to pick with society...What's so damn wrong with crunchy cookies?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

I HATE soft cookies, especially when soft means "not cooked enough". DRIVES ME BONKERSSSSSS!!!! YOU HIT ONE OF MY PET PEEVES. This one started by my old roomate how would bake the instant cookies (love those things btw) and he'd offer me some and I'm like "$%^&, they're not even cooked!"

Imagine the dissapointment of smelling the awesome cookies only to remember that your roommate never cooks them long enough.

Yours, I could eat just fine. His, oh man....he loved him hot and right out of the oven. They were still super shiny and wet looking...

Yeah, I also hate cookie dough.

Damn boy, you got me ranting big time today. I always hated those keebler elf brand "Soft chews" that everyone and their grandma started buying too. And now much "fresh baked" cookies in the grocery stores are of the soft variety.

(crawls back in hole)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Yeah, I also hate cookie dough.
    I feel like I don't even know you anymore, man - what happened?

The edges (first bite) is a little crunchy, then nice and gooey after that. Just like they're supposed to be. Are you from California or somethin'?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hooo Ahh! To You Steve!

So you made these and are sending them to a co-worker who is a National Guard soldier and has recently been moblized to help out in New Orleans?

Hoo Ahhhh To You Steve!

I'll email you with an address you can send another batch to. Afterall, I am a National Guard soldier who is moblized too. AND.. My b-day was last Friday!
    ;)

Props to you for supporting the National Guard, no matter where they are sent to!

Brian

Hoo Ahh!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Hooo Ahh! To You Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Afterall, I am a National Guard soldier who is moblized too. AND.. My b-day was last Friday!
    So I checked your profile and your birthday seems mysteriously absent... ;) But hey, that's only fair. PM me with your address and I'll do it. I need a few days to get my secret ingredient stash replenished though (don't want too much of that stuff around the house).

They look GREAT, Cookie Boy. I nominate YOU to be in charge of treats for the Chicago get together.

A picture like that sure calls up memories of things like cold glasses of milk and Grandma's kitchen table. Yum.
    ----------------------------

I saw this episode and made those cookies!!! They are SO good, just perfect!

As a matter of fact, I'm eating one right now!

Oh, and Trevor, there was a thin and crispy option as well, you'd probably like that. I'm sure you can get the reciepie from on-line, i know i did.

Yum. These look fabulous!
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Liz

Somehow the salmon salad sandwich on diet bread I was eating while reading this thread doesn't taste as good anymore.

Good for you - for sending the cookies to your friend in the National Guard.

Maybe I'll make cookies this afternoon.

Look what you started! Actually I like crisp on the edges and somewhat soft in the middle - and right out of the oven.

The best cookies I ever ate were a "mistake." A friend of mine made chocolate chip & nut cookies that looked extremely thin and big. The edges were very crisp and they were only slightly soft in the middle - and very chewy. I ate waaaay too many. She then told me they were supposed to be smaller and thicker, but she mistakenly used butter vs Crisco. Great mistake IMO! They were so good! They sort of looked like fried cookies.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Sometimes the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. I think the chocolate chip cookie is an excellent example of this, and after seeing a recent episode of Good Eats on the Food Network (any other fans out there?) I think I found the perfect recipe. Well, all it needs is toasted pecans and we've got culinary Nirvana. Big, chewy, done on the edges and soft in the middle. Life is good.

These aren't for me though, a co-worker is in the National Guard and been in New Orleans for a week and a half. Friday is his birthday, so we're FedEx-ing some things to him to make that day a little better. He's got some stories...

Thread Information