ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Emotion or Technically Perfect?

Getting in some debates on the Critique forum led me to start thinking a bit today.
    What's more important, having a photo that is technically perfect or one that you or others "like". In other words is striking an emotional chord more important than producing a photo that has all of the correct elements?
    I myself look at photos emotionally, I look for beauty, color, and a composition that "looks good". I like emotional things, something that is pleasing to the eye. Technical? I guess I really don't care if it's technically correct, followed the rules, or would win a photo contest judged without emotion. I think emotion is as important or more important than following the rules. "I like it" is a perfectly legitimate reason to hold a photograph in high regard, and will also sell more photos than something that is technically perfect without emotion.
    Along the same lines as this subject, does a photo with a WOW subject tend to be liked better than one with less of a subject? Is someone who is shooting in the midwest at a disadvantage to someone that lives in the Rockies?(I am qualified, I may live in the Rockies now, but I grew up and learned in the Midwest). I think a fantastic subject will supplant the need for the photo to have even the barest technical elements at times. I mean Old Faithful poorly photographed will probably get more views than a technically perfect photo of a smokestack billowing a white cloud of smoke.
    In summary I think a photograph is emotional, technical elements takes a distant back seat. Technical elements in the barest form are always necessary, I mean it should be in in focus, it should have correct WB, etc. But after that rules be D@mned. And when you are able to incorporate most technical elements with a WOW subject, watch out.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Emotion or Technically Perfect?

"What's more important, having a photo that is technically perfect or one that you or others "like."

Importance is relative, of course. Some will say "technically perfect" because that's what's important to them, and some will say "one that you like" because that is what's important to them. Both are correct, you really can't argue preferences.

If what you're asking is "is it okay if my photography isn't technically perfect but my pictures are full of heart?" then the answer is a resounding "Yes!"

"Is someone who is shooting in the midwest at a disadvantage to someone that lives in the Rockies?"

Only if you define "good photography" as pictures of the Rockies

It sounds like you already have your position here staked out. I would encourage you to stick with that stance as long as you can, as long as it serves you to. If you ever feel the need to become more "technical" in your work, then that is okay too.

I think what's important is that photographers follow their own direction. For you, forcing more technical photos out of yourself might kill your spirit and make you lose interest in photography. Likewise, a very technically proficient photographer might feel the need to incorporate more "emotion" into his work and thereby lose his technical prowess and direction. I say, stick to your own soul, listen to what others have to say, and if it makes sense, if you agree with or want something that they have, then strive to incorporate it into your own work. But always stay true to yourself - even as you evolve - and that should keep you happy in your work.

Good luck buddy!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Depends.

I'm the guy that tries to pound the need for learning the technical stuff into everyone's heads in the Help Forum but obviously that's just one aspect of picture taking. In general I'll usually go for the emotion over the technique. Some things that could be thought of as technical faults may actually add to the emotion. Slightly missed focus, unusual crop (part of someone's face cut off, etc) or just about anything else might show the energy in a split-second situation where there has been some unexpected action.

Knowing the technique inside and out means that you don't have to conciously think about it as much and can think more about what you're shooting. That will help in most situations so that's why I get on my soap box about it. But it ain't everything...

What I try and capture with my photos is how I feel when I initially see a shot. Very often different composition, lighting, dof, pov, etc. can enhance that feel. I will often take a shot as I initially find it and then play with capturing variations as I think of what attracts me to the subject in the first place. So shoot for emotion but use as much technique as possible to heighten the feeling.
    I agree with others that 'proper' technique can lessen the feel of a shot in some occasions.
    ----------------------------

Being primarily a street photographer, for me it's all about the moment, and technique be damned. There's always the argument about an image, taken with top quality gear and being technically perfect, can still be a boring, bad shot. Many of the great photos through history have some serious technical issues, but the problems are overlooked because the moment, or emotion captured is so powerful that it doesn't matter that it might be a little soft, or a little under/overexposed. I guess there is no correct answer to your question, as it's all subjective, anyway. :-)

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I have a friend who once told me that if it means something to you and you like it, its a good photo. Good technique can help you accomplish that goal.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

While it is important to learn good technique, sometimes the best photographs are mistakes.
    I've got a whole series where the color is off and lurid on purpose to create a dark or creepy feeling. It works for me, may not work for other people.
    Sometimes, there just isn't time for a technically proficient shot - and sometimes getting that shot is more important than it being perfectly in the zone system (or whatever technique you subscribe to.)

I would say - always try to continue to hone technique, but don't let it ever stop you from the joy of taking photos. Often, as others have posted, the end result of a mistake may add emotional impact.

Julia Margaret Cameron was an amazing photographer with a very dusty darkroom....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - technically correct or not,
    but having a knowledge of technique will help you to create beauty. :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

I agree with Charles when he says, "there is no correct answer, it's all subjective anyway" However, I do tend to feel a photo works if it keeps me looking and entertained or stirs up some emotion even if it has it's technical issues. If the moment, or emotion is there, then it can certainly over ride some technical issues it may have. Some times the technical issues can add to the shot ironically
    It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some people are only keen on looking at the sharpness, noise, details in shadow areas, color rendition, and perhaps do not even care what the photo subject is anyway.
    I think I fall in with you in that I tend to find the subject matter, moment captured, emotion, spirit and soul of the image to be more important than the technical issues.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I agree with Charles when he says, "there is no correct answer, it's all subjective anyway" However, I do tend to feel a photo works if it keeps me looking and entertained or stirs up some emotion even if it has it's technical issues. If the moment, or emotion is there, then it can certainly over ride some technical issues it may have. Some times the technical issues can add to the shot ironically
    It is all in the eye of the beholder. Some people are only keen on looking at the sharpness, noise, details in shadow areas, color rendition, and perhaps do not even care what the photo subject is anyway.
    I think I fall in with you in that I tend to find the subject matter, moment captured, emotion, spirit and soul of the image to be more important than the technical issues.
    If you make it subjective then you are really NOT doing photographic critique but on the contrary just expressing your personal likes and dislikes which has nothing whatsoever to do it. The Critique Forum would be much better if everyone stuck to genuine photographic critique and left their personal likes and dislikes out of it, particularly if they cannot express those likes and dislikes in specific photographic technique or composition terms which make a difference to the impact of the shot.

Ronnoco

What you have above is the wrong question. Photography is never emotion OR technical perfection. It is both and both are necessary.

A top photo uses excellence in technique and composition to lead the eye into the image toward the centre of interest to grab the attention and perhaps the emotion of the viewer.

The centre of interest must have some sort of universal impact. In the concept of impact there is a technique and photographic component, an experience component and an emotional component.

A guy or girl in an appartment who has paid attention to relatively few sunsets and not seen very many photos of sunsets might see one with a bit of colour and personally think it is gorgeous. That is a personal view but NOT photographic critique despite the emotional component.

A photographer who lives in lake or mountain country facing west and has both watched numerous sunsets, seen and judged them in contests and taken sunset shots himself or herself, seeing the same photo as the one mentioned above might say that it is just a snapshot with no impact with photographic reasons. This is a photographic critique because it is being based on a comparison of the photo he_she has seen, with sunsets experienced and photos seen and can express that opinion in terms of technique, composition and impact.

Ronnoco

In order to get an emotional photo, there has be to some technical skill involved. If you have a blown out sky you will not get the same type of emotion out of the photo. So, IMO, an well done emotional photo should be at an acceptable level, technically speaking.

If you concentrate on rules and technical skills all of the time, it will affect your ability to capture photos on an emotional level because you are too concerned about fundamentals.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    In order to get an emotional photo, there has be to some technical skill involved. If you have a blown out sky you will not get the same type of emotion out of the photo. So, IMO, an well done emotional photo should be at an acceptable level, technically speaking.

If you concentrate on rules and technical skills all of the time, it will affect your ability to capture photos on an emotional level because you are too concerned about fundamentals.

Loren
    I don't quite completely agree. It is not a well-done emotional photo unless technique and composition are above the merely "acceptable level". Remember technique and composition contribute to the impact and emotional content.

Second part is not quite true either. You need to concentrate on technique and composition in order to communicate the emotional content of the image to the viewer.

Ronnoco

You need to concentrate on technique and comp emoosition in order to communicate the emotional content of the image to the viewer.

The concentration needs to happen before, and not during the photograph.

For those who have real skill, maybe we don't have to worry about the technical aspects while we are taking photographs because they are second nature. I worry about capturing an image that matches my desire, and then do what I have to do to capture it beforehand. I feel that I am extremely good with exposure, why? Because I shoot with Velvia and there is no room for error. Do I worry about exposure when I take photos, no because there is no time. I make sure to have all of my ducks in a row before, and then let my heart do the rest.

I spent a lot of time and film to get my skills so I don't have to worry about them today. You are so caught up on the academic point of view for photography that the only thing you have to talk about are little nitpicks on other photos.

Until you start posting your quality photographs, you are only a little man behind a computer and not a photographer.

Loren

Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

You need to concentrate on technique and comp emoosition in order to communicate the emotional content of the image to the viewer.

The concentration needs to happen before, and not during the photograph.

For those who have real skill, maybe we don't have to worry about the technical aspects while we are taking photographs because they are second nature. I worry about capturing an image that matches my desire, and then do what I have to do to capture it beforehand. I feel that I am extremely good with exposure, why? Because I shoot with Velvia and there is no room for error. Do I worry about exposure when I take photos, no because there is no time. I make sure to have all of my ducks in a row before, and then let my heart do the rest.

I spent a lot of time and film to get my skills so I don't have to worry about them today. You are so caught up on the academic point of view for photography that the only thing you have to talk about are little nitpicks on other photos.

Until you start posting your quality photographs, you are only a little man behind a computer and not a photographer.

Loren

You are getting emotional and personal when you should be sticking to contradicting the points in my posting in a logical manner if you don't agree with them. That is what any discussion is all about. People reading may want to learn something from our views, whether they agree with them or not.

Ronnoco

Doesn't it really depend on where you want to go and what you want to accomplish? That has yet to be mentioned here. Is it a photo for personal gratification, regular clients, galleries, competition, or publications?

I've seen some "pros" with technically crappy photos, and the clients are extremely happy, if it's just for you, if you like it, fine. Competition, p&r companies, and publications want extremely high quality photos.

So, I think the first question should be what do you want to do?

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Either you are way off on the philosophy or you did not quite express it correctly, Gary.
    Look at great art, for example, how you draw or paint the image or express your point of view determines whether it is art or not. The content of what you drew or painted is totally irrelevant.

To put it in photographic terms, what you took a photo of is irrelevant, it is your means of expression or photographic method or how you expressed your point of view through using your photographic skills and experience that determines the quality and artistic merit of the work.

Still to put it even another way, a badly captured moment or spirit through poor artistic or photographic skill degrades the impact or emotional effect.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by payn817
    Doesn't it really depend on where you want to go and what you want to accomplish? That has yet to be mentioned here. Is it a photo for personal gratification, regular clients, galleries, competition, or publications?

I've seen some "pros" with technically crappy photos, and the clients are extremely happy, if it's just for you, if you like it, fine. Competition, p&r companies, and publications want extremely high quality photos.

So, I think the first question should be what do you want to do?
    You really have to have a clear understanding of what photography is all about, irrespective of where you want to go.

I have done a lot of journalistic photography which is not quite the same as artistic work, but it is interesting that even non-photographers recognize a great journalistic photo and they are often unconsciously using the same basic concepts of technique and composition in their evaluation. So you still need to know how to take a great journalistic photo and make and take the opportunities whenever possible.

Public relations, publications, graphics and television work have different requirements as well but technique and composition are still important.

If it is strictly for personal gratification, then you should not be in a photo forum because you are really not ready to progress beyond that limited level and like some, not ready to recognize that you need to improve your eye, your knowledge, or your techniques.

Ronnoco

Perhaps in Canada you are not allowed to decide what art you like and what art you don't, or what you feel is art and what you feel is not, but here in the USA, we get to decide when we like something or when we don't. In fact, not only do we get to choose if we like something or not, but we get to discuss it and we all get to have our own opinions. Which is why, here in the USA, art is subjective. Not only is it subjective, but we get to decide if having something technically perfect but uninspiring is more important that whether something grabs you emotionally but has technical flaws.

Perhaps some of these freedoms have made us a bit crazy in our "I can still like this even if it's not perfect" philosophy, but hey, whatever floats your boat. At least, down here in the south.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

perhaps I wasn't elaborate enough?

LOL Adina

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco

If it is strictly for personal gratification, then you should not be in a photo forum because you are really not ready to progress beyond that limited level and like some, not ready to recognize that you need to improve your eye, your knowledge, or your techniques.

Ronnoco
    A while back, Irakly started a thread regarding the level of photos that were being posted. I believe his complaint was the lack of "art" that was showing up on these forums, and that there was a whole lot of camera talk and "snapshots". I don't remember his exact words, I will see if I can find the thread.

This is not an Art photography board, but rather a place for those of all skill levels to chat with others with similar interests. There isn't a set of rules and an application that you have to fill out, along with submitting a portfolio to determine if you qualify to post.

It has been pointed out numerous times that this is a forum for people of all skill levels to discuss and share photography, regardless of whether or not they are technically perfect.

The attitude you expressed above is one of the reasons lurkers stay lurkers. What are you doing to help those who haven't reached the level you are at? Are you offering helpful critiques in a manner that's not going to offend people to the point where they are afraid to post? Or are you giving them harsh criticism and belittling them until they leave to find another site to learn from.

People aren't going to get better by telling them they suck and shouldn't be on a board. People are going to get better by telling them what they can do to improve in a civil manner, without getting personal.

Photography. Art or Crap?

Here ya go...all this has been hashed over before, and probably will be again.

I spent a lot of time and film to get my skills so I don't have to worry about them today.
    I think this is along the lines of what I was saying - learn and practice the stuff so that when something great happens you only have to think about the shot you're taking. Technical aspects are second nature at this point; almost a reflex. There's no time to think about how to set the camera because that beautiful light, crazy stunt or whatever will be gone in an instant. Agreed on the Velvia - if you're good with that stuff, then you know what you're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Perhaps in Canada you are not allowed to decide what art you like and what art you don't, or what you feel is art and what you feel is not, but here in the USA, we get to decide when we like something or when we don't. In fact, not only do we get to choose if we like something or not, but we get to discuss it and we all get to have our own opinions. Which is why, here in the USA, art is subjective. Not only is it subjective, but we get to decide if having something technically perfect but uninspiring is more important that whether something grabs you emotionally but has technical flaws.

Perhaps some of these freedoms have made us a bit crazy in our "I can still like this even if it's not perfect" philosophy, but hey, whatever floats your boat. At least, down here in the south.
    You may be able to decide what art you like but that individual personal opinion will be disregarded by the art world, the galleries, and the museums, unless tens of thousands of people agree with your opinion and demonstrate that agreement through attendance and support of exhibitions and sales etc.

To put it in photographic terms, you may like digital work with no post-processing and that is your right but it is also the right of most buyers or knowledgeable viewers of photography to laugh at your amateurish, limited view and to ignore your work.

My point is that the standards of quality photography are NOT subjective and you can see those standards applied in competitions, magazines, newspapers, folders, television, film and multimedia presentations. Photographic magazines for example contain the work of some of the top photographers. You can see standards of composition, technique, and composition that are fairly common in the industry. There is a universality there that is not individually personal nor subjective.

Ronnoco

Not everyone has the goals of being in a magazine or a gallery. Some people just enjoy photography. Both serious professionals and those just starting out should be able to post photos and contribute to discussions without being told their opinion is wrong.

My point is that this is a site for all skill levels, and attitudes like the one you stated about discourage those less confident to join the conversations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information