ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Protocol for autographing a print

Hi there,

I was asked to donate a print of mine to a non-profit organization for an auction they are having this summer and I am happy to do it. They want the print signed by me. I have never donated a print before, let alone sold or autographed one. What's the protocol here?

Should I sign the back? Front? What type of pen usually? This will be a 12x18 print on metal.

http://www.bayphoto.com/metalprints/

Thanks

Josh

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Protocol for autographing a print

Hmm. There are a few ways photographers typically sign their work. Some sign directly on the print, others on the back, and still others on the matte. I sign all of mine on the matte, with pencil. If I have something that doesn't get a matte, I will sign directly on the print. Since you are dealing with a metal print, I'm assuming that a matte and framing isn't going to be needed, so signing the matte isn't an option. I would sign on the front of the print, in the lower right corner using some type of archival pen.

Another option would be so sign your photo digitally, in PS before submitting it to the printer. That way your signature would be printed directly onto the finished image. There really isn't a right or wrong way, it comes down to personal preference.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I believe that depending on how you sign can determine the value of the print.
    If you sign the print itself the value would be at its highest.
    If you sign the matte it would lower the value of the print because the matte could be removed and the signature would be lost.
    If you sign it digitally and print with the signature on it the value would also be lower because it's a print of your signature.
    I could be wrong and hopefully someone with more knowledge jumps in.
    Hector
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=279782

Nikon D90
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Nikon 18-105 3.5 VR
    Nikon 70-300 4.5 VR
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Thanks guys for the feedback...the lower third of the picture is sand all the way across, so my signature in black ink would really stand out. Could be a good thing or a bad thing I guess. I am thinking I need to keep the signature relatively small so it doesn't distract from the picture itself.

Good feedback

I use an acid-free archival pen (found in most art stores) for signing. If I know ahead of making the print, I design a small border for the photo with about 3/4 inch white space outside that, then sign the print underneath the border. For color prints, the border and ink is almost always black- for b/w prints, silver.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I don't consider my current work fine art so I don't treat it like fine art. I use the same logo art I use to watermark my Web images to "sign" or brand any prints I sell.

If I was doing matted fine art, I'd sign the matte and the back of the print. The print would get signed with an archival pen and the matte would get signed with a pencil. That's the traditional way to do it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks guys for the tips, some good advice there!

Thread Information