ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Political photo op...

at the airport. We celebrated the grand opening of a self-serve Avgas pump yesterday. Mayor Coody had to give a short speech and I was the "official" airport photographer. Had to "fight" with a local newspaper photographer for position. Actually that wasn't hard, she was short enough that I shot over her head a couple of times. It was funny in that several times we both headed for the same shooting spot. I must have at least a little PJ instinct.

Here's Mayor Coody, a rep from the company that installed the pump, and the airport manager (my boss) Ray Boudreaux....standing in front of an airplane. Surely you didn't think I couldn't figure out a way to get an airplane in the shot.

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Serious business!!

We are a serious bunch! One of my co-worker's, James, getting the drop on a friend of ours, Terry (who's also a photographer).

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Talking Doesn't Surprise Me!

[QUOTE=I_Fly]at the airport. We celebrated the grand opening of a self-serve Avgas pump yesterday. Mayor Coody had to give a short speech and I was the "official" airport photographer. Had to "fight" with a local newspaper photographer for position. Actually that wasn't hard, she was short enough that I shot over her head a couple of times. It was funny in that several times we both headed for the same shooting spot. I must have at least a little PJ instinct.

Here's Mayor Coody, a rep from the company that installed the pump, and the airport manager (my boss) Ray Boudreaux....standing in front of an airplane. Surely you didn't think I couldn't figure out a way to get an airplane in the shot.

That you "must have at least a little PJ instinct." Natural as water running downhill!

I find it very funny that you shot over her head a couple of times! I don't believe I've ever seen a newpaper photog that short. Hehehe.

"I was the "official" airport photographer." I can relate to that. Anytime someone needs a photo they usually call for me. It's a hard knock life, but hey, someone's got to do it! :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Red face Troy, I'm Disappointed....

You know better than to have objects coming out of your subjects head! Photo 102 is watch out for trees, poles, branches, etc behind your subject, appearing to come out of their head. Tsk, tsk. Just don't let it happen again!

OK, actually I think it's funny that your co-worker got the drop on a fellow photographer. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Short pj shooting photo...

Here's a shot of the paper's pj, shooting the shot that went in the paper. I shot this wide shot then zoomed in on the mayor and got a shot very similar to the one the paper ran.

I'd guess her to be about 4' 4" or 5". I talked to her briefly before and after and she was very nice, jealous of my camera though! She was shooting with the paper's equipment, a Nikon D1.

Which reminds me Speed, I haven't commented on your hilarious signature line! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed

I find it very funny that you shot over her head a couple of times! I don't believe I've ever seen a newpaper photog that short. Hehehe.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

The fuel goes into the wing???

Is that what the mayor is doing, fueling up into the wing? Knowing nothing about airplanes, I never would have expected that. Too weird. That would be like putting gas into the rear spoiler of a car.

Spike

Most airplane's fuel tanks are...

in the wing. In this case, the mayor was pretending, as the owner of the airplane was hovering nervously behind him!

The reason the fuel goes into the wing is for balancing the weight of the airplane as it burns fuel. Think of the airplane as a teeter-totter. It has to stay balanced, and the center of balance is normally close to the center of the wing. As the fuel burns, it doesn't have a lot of affect on the balancing act. If it were in the fuselage (body) of the airplane, as you burned fuel the balancing point would move until it would no longer balance. Remember how you could balance a larger kid and smaller kid by moving the larger kid closer to the center? Imagine trying to fly and having that large kid move from the center out to the end. It can actually make the aircraft uncontrollable. Of course, this is a very simplified explanation, hopefully you got an idea of why fuel is normally in the wing. Sorry to be long winded!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Is that what the mayor is doing, fueling up into the wing? Knowing nothing about airplanes, I never would have expected that. Too weird. That would be like putting gas into the rear spoiler of a car.

Spike
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information