ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Project Forum Challenge

Hi all

For a long time the Project Forum has presented a monthly theme. It is very popular and dozens of images are posted every month.

When frog and myself took over as co-moderators, we conceived the idea of having a monthly "challenge" as well as the more familiar set theme.

Last month we launched this, but clearly it didn't catch the imaginations of forum members. Even so we will give it one more try this month. If it still fails to take off we will drop the idea. However, we do believe there is a place for a different kind of challenge than the monthly theme provides.

For June I have set a "Photoshop Challenge". I have posted two images just as they came out of the camera - no adjustments at all. Members are invited to freely download them and see what they can make of them. It could be that you just want to make them better. But it may be that you want to be even more creative with them - adding things, turning them into abstracts, etc. If members start posting their own takes on them, I might throw in a couple more to play with.

If demonstrating your photoshop skills interests you, scoot down to the Project Forum and give it a try!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Liz

Re: Project Forum Challenge

Mike,

I really like the idea of the monthly challenge along with the monthly project. I thought the May challenge was a good idea and intended to get out and do some shooting around my area. However, my shedule didn't cooperate unfortunately.

Now, the June challenge should do well I think. Most people enjoy working with photoshop. Since I'm not a photoshop fan, and know very little about the techniques, etc. it wouldn't interest me. However! as I said - it's a great idea. Although I don't do much in the way of photoshop, I really love viewing the images that other people post - so I do participate - and enjoy whatever the topics are.

I just want to say that I hope you don't give up the idea of a monthly challenge after just two tries - even if the 2nd one doesn't draw a big crowd. I think you should keep going - at least over the summer when more people get out there with their cameras on vacation, days off, no school, etc. I look forward to the topics on both projects every month, whether or not I can find the time to go out and shoot or not. I enjoy viewing what other people post.

Thanks to you and Frog for all you are doing to make both projects interesting, fun and especially for your personal interest in each project.

Liz

Thanks Liz

I don't think there is a risk now of dropping it - there have already been a couple of contributors, so it is underway.

Also, based on a thought of smartwombat's, I may even make the time limits a little more open-ended than just a month. There is no reason why a couple of challenges can't run simultaneously so long as they are being supported.

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement.
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thanks for posting that here. I'll admit that due to time constraints I don't always get out of Viewfinder and Help, and this may be the case with others as well. Good reminder to look at that forum and this could be a lot of fun and good motivation to shoot.

Photoshop probably isn't my strong suit so I'll pass on this one but I know there are a lot of members here who are talented in post processing. I'll be sure to check it out, as well as future projects. I do agree with Liz that it would be nice to see the two of you keep it up for awhile before deciding on whether or not to continue - summer can be a fairly slow time here since (hopefully) most people are busy playing outside (finally!). You two are doing a great job!

Thread Information